X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kpodolski
    • Jun 2006

CDP-300 "tweak"...

I've owned my CDP-300 for several months and am extremely happy with its performance and sound quality.

My only issue was with the optical transport. Now, there is nothing wrong with the Teac DV-28SL itself but with some of the "noise" it makes that can be heard from my listening position (which is about 9' from my head). The biggest problem, to me, is that Classe placed a thin transport with an open mouth inside a metal housing without any noise damping material. Essentially, the transport sits inside a metal can that exacerbates any noise the transport makes.

Well, it was time to find a remedy. My solution was furniature/upholstery foam. I had a chunck laying around so that is what I used. I used a total of three pieces that you can see in the accompanying photos.

The difference is incredible. No more noise! It totally dampens any noise that I heard before the tweak. I've been using this tweak for a month now and no problems. I thought heat may have been an issue but that has not been a problem. Sometimes I leave the player on all day and its not been a issue.

First you need to remove the Teac drive.

The first piece of foam located below the Teac drive.

The drive replaced.

The second piece installed in the corner of the chassis.

The third piece installed on top of the transport.

Re-install the top and you're all done. If you choose to do this tweak you proceed at your own peril...
    The second place winner is the first place loser.

An argument with reality is one you'll never win.

If you are offended, you are complicit in the outrage.

It's better to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow.

"Americans love a winner. Americans will not tolerate a loser." Gen. Patton
  • madmac
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2010

Originally posted by kpodolski
    I've owned my CDP-300 for several months and am extremely happy with its performance and sound quality.

My only issue was with the optical transport. Now, there is nothing wrong with the Teac DV-28SL itself but with some of the "noise" it makes that can be heard from my listening position (which is about 9' from my head). The biggest problem, to me, is that Classe placed a thin transport with an open mouth inside a metal housing without any noise damping material. Essentially, the transport sits inside a metal can that exacerbates any noise the transport makes.

Well, it was time to find a remedy. My solution was furniature/upholstery foam. I had a chunck laying around so that is what I used. I used a total of three pieces that you can see in the accompanying photos.

The difference is incredible. No more noise! It totally dampens any noise that I heard before the tweak. I've been using this tweak for a month now and no problems. I thought heat may have been an issue but that has not been a problem. Sometimes I leave the player on all day and its not been a issue.

First you need to remove the Teac drive.

The first piece of foam located below the Teac drive.

The drive replaced.

The second piece installed in the corner of the chassis.

The third piece installed on top of the transport.

Re-install the top and you're all done. If you choose to do this tweak you proceed at your own peril...

Now that is pure ingenuity !!! :T
    Dan Madden :T

Comment

• Glen B
      Super Senior Member
      • Jul 2004

Very creative. I like it. "Real" soundproofing material for electronics can be found at EndPCNoise.com. I've used their products in various projects. One of the advantages the materials they sell has is that it has UL flammability rating.

EndPCNoise

Comment

• aarsoe
        • May 2004

I would be worried about heat building up in the wrong places. So in the end you may very well end up with a reduced life expectancy from the drive - if not from the electronic as well..

Comment

• madmac
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2010

Originally posted by aarsoe
          I would be worried about heat building up in the wrong places. So in the end you may very well end up with a reduced life expectancy from the drive - if not from the electronic as well..

That same thought crossed my mind as well 8O
          Dan Madden :T

Comment

• Glen B
            Super Senior Member
            • Jul 2004

Heat buildup issues could be minimized by lining the drive and area of the chassis around the drive with thin, acoustic noise insulating material versus the way its stuffed now.

AcoustiPack soundproofing

Comment

• kpodolski
              • Jun 2006

Originally posted by Glen B
              Very creative. I like it. "Real" soundproofing material for electronics can be found at EndPCNoise.com. I've used their products in various projects. One of the advantages the materials they sell has is that it has UL flammability rating.

EndPCNoise

Neat site. They have some cool stuff.

Comment

• kpodolski
                • Jun 2006

Originally posted by aarsoe

I thought about that too but I'm not worried. The nominal temp of the unit has been the same pre-tweak versus post-tweak. Plus, the teac drive is a laptop drive and laptops can be a very abusive place to live...

Comment

• aarsoe
                  • May 2004

I don't doubt that the temperature reading is the same, the problem lies were the temperature reader cannot measure. In any case you decide for your self. If noise is really a big issue I personally would have used a thin plate of bitumen like the stuff you buy at car parts shops for dampening doors or other plates that resonate. A small amount on the top will dampen the drive significantly and not create any heat being built up. If you look underneath the top plate of your Classe unit you will see such a plate glued to it.

Comment

• Sharp 1080
                    • Dec 2009

Excellent suggestion.

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"