X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • P-Dub
    Office Moderator
    • Aug 2000

What's your upgrade plans?

ThomasW made a very good point in the Anthem/Outlaw thread. "...everything except receivers and some pre/pro's should be purchased with the idea of it being an investment."

Anyway I have been thinking about my own personal upgrade path and would be interested in hearing other peoples plans. Just for the record here is my current system.

TV: Mits 27" age 10 yrs
    Rec: Yam 595 age 1.5 yrs
    DVD: Tosh 3109 age 1.5 yrs
    Speakers: Energy eXl 16, eXLC, eXl-S8 sub, age 1.5 yrs,
    Surrounds: Point 1e age 10 yrs
    VCR: Mits U53 - age 10 yrs
    LD: Pioneer cld-?? - age 10 yrs

My current plans. As it stands, nothing is getting upgraded unless it breaks. At the moment the VCR has been problematic since the summer, so it is on the replace list. But seeing as I don't use it that much there really isn't a great need to replace it right now. I hope for all of my new gear to last 5 years. On the whole I'm still quite happy with my system. The TV really needs an upgrade, but I'm waiting for more money for a nice big screen.

But let's fast forward time a bit and here's how I see the next 5 years unfolding. After the VCR gets replaced I've got a feeling that the TV will be the next item that needs to be replaced. Just going by age alone. Depending on where I'm living and what I can afford, chances are I'll just replace it with a better quality 27" Why? two reasons, space and cost. I'm pretty sure I'll be in an apt for the next 5 years and my entertainment unit will not fit anything bigger. To go to a larger set will mean I need a TV stand and a component rack. This will add to the total cost of a new set. Sure I'll need a new rack eventually, but I'd really like to wait. Plus when I get the big screen, I can move the 27" into the bedroom. When the LD player dies, it will not be replaced. By that time I will only have 2 LD's in my collection that probably won't be on DVD, I hope, but you never know, maybe I'll find a good deal on a used LD player.

Next on the upgrade path will be my speakers. This will be difficult as I will be using my Yammie to drive whatever new speakers I buy, but I'll be looking to make these speakers the last ones I buy for a long time. So chances are I'll do the front soundstage first with the goal to move the new mains to rear effects. The thing that has got me really intrigued is the DIY speaker kits. Especially those links that ThomasW has provided. For subs, I'll be willing to DIY or go with a couple of the SVS, but that means I need a house.

Following closely on the heals of the speakers will be something along the lines of a Den 3801. I figure over the next few years, sound formats will have stabalized, I hope. And a nice AV rec with pre-outs will satisfy those speakers. Then I can add outboard amplification as time goes on. Ideally if I can swing the funds, I'd buy the AV receiver and speakers all at the same time.

Lastly will be the big screen TV and DVD player. I'd really like to get a nice combo that works well together. Hopefully by that time I've settled into my house and have the room to fit in the TV.

Then we begin all over again.

Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.
    Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Paul

I didn't discuss items like TV's, loudspeakers, and "throw-aways"(these are VCR, CD and DVD players etc). Anything that contains motors and lot's of solenoid driven parts, are currently are "throw-aways". Why? the repair cost once out of warranty, is usually 75% of the cost of a replacement with the latest technology.

TV's last for YEARS, at least the good ones do. And now isn't the time to buy 4:3 anything.

Speakers also last for decades, if of good quality to begin with.

A logical upgrade path is to start with a good (not great, $1000 or less) receiver that has pre-amp outputs. Then add power amps, and finally replace the receiver with a good pre/pro.

There are 2 ways to attack the "revolving" door of pre/pro decoding technology. 1)expensive "firmware upgradeable" pre/pro's. These are very expensive. You must keep the item for many years to get a good payback on the investment. Lexicons and Meridian are good examples of this approach. 2)buy 1 generation behind what's "hot". This is my solution. An example of this is my Sony TA-E9000ES. Fresh off the boat, they were $2000. Mine was $1000 new.

Now either way of course the mfgr's win. Eventually the upgradable pre/pro's will have mechanical failures. Or the "output" technology will surpass the units design. With my method, I usually give or sell at very low price my "old" pre/pro to someone new to the hobby.

Sometimes I store the old pre/pro as a backup just in case the new unit has problems. It sure is nice to just bop downstairs for a replacement if something in the main system fails.

theAudioWorx
    Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• ThomasW
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Server error

theAudioWorx
      Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

my upgrade plan

Speakers
        Sell old sonosub and build a big sub with a 15" driver (done)
        Sell "old" rears (2 months isn't really old is it?
        Replace them with my current mains the Magnepan MMGs (done)
        Buy Magnepan 1.4's to use as mains (being shipped)

The center channel is now the weak link in the chain but it won't be upgraded until the TV gets upgraded to an RPTV. The TV won't get upgraded to an RPTV until we move into a house....so once the 1.4s arrive next week I'm done for speaker upgrades for a while.

Electronics

VCR is brand new since only Sony was going down hill fast

Receiver - its a new Denon 3300 so it will last for some time to come. I'll buy a decent power amp and use it as a pre amp.

DVD player is new and will do for some time to come. Its not progressive scan but neither is the TV.

TV this needs to be replaced soon.

Room..this is the highest priority upgrade for us, we need to get into a house.

Comment

• KennyG
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Sep 2000

My path is simple, I'm building a sub for the surrounds, then I must build, or buy surrounds that match the rest of my speakers.
          Phase two, all in one shot comes: FPTV, screen, HTPC, HD satellite.
          My last upgrade will be to replace my current amps with aragon 8008 amps.
          During this time we will probably be having a house built, so all this will go in a dedicated HT room, in fact phase two will be bought with some of the house building funds (nothing like using HT as a write off!)
          The only thing that will never be upgraded are my main & center speakers (I may add a second center though)

Comment

• Robbie
            • Aug 2000

I don't necessarily agree with ThomasW as HT equipment being an investment. Seems an investment will increase in value, (at least thats what I hope my investments do ) I like to think of HT as more of a luxury. Something to enjoy without regard cost or resale value.

Now my modest HT suits me well except for my 11 year old 25" TV. I've been planning on upgrading next year to a 40 - 50" RPTV. Still researching on which one.

My speaker mains I guess will be the next. Their almost 10 years old and I could probibly do better. But don't see a pressing need to do that right now. TV is definitely first.

Robbie Caldwell

Comment

• DavidY
              • Aug 2000

Current system:

Receiver: Sony 777ES *
              DVD player: Toshiba 2108
              CD changer: Sony 405
              HiFi VCR: Samsung 8857
              TV: 19" JVC (32" JVC AV32D201 is on order) *
              Speakers: Paradigm Reference V.1
              Mains: Studio/60
              Centre: CC-450
              Rears: Studio/20
              Subwoofers (2): Mission 700AS *

* upgraded within the last 6 months

Upgrade plans: Nothing at the moment, possibly something in 2001.

Dave

Comment

• ThomasW
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

Robbie

The idea of equipment being an investment" is an analogy, not a literal statement.

Obviously the return on the investment, is pleasure not capital. But if people take a more investment oriented look at their purchases, in the long run, they will get more bang from their bucks.

theAudioWorx
                Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• Jehan
                  • Aug 2000

Well if anything I want to add a dedicated CD transport in the near future. Then next on the list (gonna be a while since it will be a large upgrade) are the speakers... starting with some nice mains.

I recently got a Denon 3801 so a nice 3/2 ch amp combo would be a logical step, using the 3801 as a pre/pro.

Comment

• Lexman
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Jun 2000

Actually Robbie, it's an investment in entertainment. Most everyone has some sort of entertainment. Home Theater is better in my opinion than boats and some other items. Why? Because you can get year round enjoyment, and also , think of the money you save on going out to movies. Not to mention perhaps even your life? What if, your going to the movies, and an 18 wheeler pulls out right in front of you? I mean, I can't remember the last time one came through the living room. Now that's justification!

Lex

Comment

• MichaelW
                      • Aug 2000

Well here is my upgrade plan:
                      1. Power all HT non-LFE channels (8) with SET tube monoblock amps. There is new direct coupled (no capacitors in the signal path) parallel 300B monoblock amp coming in the next couple months that could be the ticket here for me.
                      2. Replace NHT SuperOnes with Joseph Audio RM7si Signatures for the rears.
                      3. Replace passive Legacy Foundation subwoofer with either the 15" or dual 12" Joseph Audio Percision subwoofer.
                      4. Add Joseph Audio dipolar speakers for side channels.
                      5. Add Joseph Audio RM7si Signature or Joseph Audio Cenergy 5.1 for rear center.
                      6. Add 8" CRT FP with screen and line doubler.

Comment

• SMiLEY
                        • Sep 2000

Great thread!

My current setup:

Sony CDP-C305 - CD Player (8 years old)
                        Sony STR-D1090 - Pro-Logic Receiver (7 years old)
                        Pioneer SD-P4571 - RPTV (5 years old)
                        Pioneer CLD-D504 - LaserDisc player (5 years old)
                        Panasonic RV 80 - DVD player (new)

Energy e:XL-16's [right & left], e:XL-C [center], e:XL-R's [surrounds], e:XL-S8 [subwoofer] - (6 months old)

So, what I think I'm going to do, not necessarily in this order:

Get a new receiver, most likely the Denon AVR 3801, but definitely one with pre-outs.

Get a new house (there's a baby on the way, that's probably going to slow things down)

Work on a dedicated HT room

Get into DIY with a subwoofer, don't know what style yet.

Get a monoblock poweramp for the subwoofer.

Get some new mains, probably e:XL-26's and move e:XL-R's to center rear and e:XL-16's to left & right surround. Or maybe I scrap it all and build new ones if the subwoofer project goes well.

Get at least a 2-channel power amp for the mains, and build up power amps slowly for the other speakers.

Get a good pre/pro

Get an HDTV of some sort.

That's all I know of at the moment. What do you guys think?

Comment

• Robbie
                          • Aug 2000

OK...OK... I see what your saying. But Lex I don't know if the accident thing has anything to do with it. What if I get clobbered by a truck while running down to the local B&M to buy a DVD. HMMMMM maybe I'll just buy/rent over the internet so I don't have to leave the house.

Robbie

Comment

• Paul_C
                            • Aug 2000

Hmm... So much to upgrade and so little money...

I am trying to sell my house so I can build. If this plan succeeds then all monies spent that would have gone to upgrades will go into building a dedicated HT.

Nothing like watching a 28" direct view in a dedicated HT. LOL.

Even if I sell today I have to wait at least a year to build so why upgrade until I have to.

Paul.

Comment

• Learning
                              • Aug 2000

Well, I THOUGHT I was going the maggie route with ht, but I'm gonna do a 2ch setup instead with the MMGs... My next upgrade has to be a fptv, but I figure I need to wait about one to two years to get current quality at a reasonable price (maybe $4-5000 or so?). Tha neat thing about this pastime is the similarity to computers: The longer you wait, the more you get for your money!

Right now, there's nothing on the horizon that I feel will pass the cost/value test for upgrading my ht. So maybe wandering around in the world of 2ch is going to have to feed the habit for awhile.

Comment

Working...
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"