X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kevin P
    • Aug 2000

Any MiniDisc fans here?

Just wondering. I've been a MD fan for 3 years now. I love the convenience and small discs that fit in my pocket and my car's center console.

I have 3 MD decks total:

Aiwa AM-F70 portable recorder
    Sony MDX-C5970 head unit in my car
    Sony MXD-D3 combo CD/MD deck (used mainly for recording CD to MD)

Any one else here MD whores?

KJP

Official Computer Geek and Techno-Wiz Guru of HTGuide - Visit Tower of Power
    My HT Site
  • SiliGoose
    • Aug 2000

I really enjoyed MD until my portable player broke. I haven't used my main deck since then. The portable was fantastic for jogging but I just can't see dropping another $200 to replace it.

I really can't understand why MD player prices haven't plummeted. I would have expected a fire sale by now.

Are there any MD players that can record and playback MP3 files? (without converting them to Sony's ATRAC). If there was a native MP3 MD player I'd be much more apt to spend money.

-Sili
    www.campmurphy.net

Comment

• Burke Strickland
      • Sep 2001

I have been using MiniDisc as a "mastering" medium for archiving LPs and 78s, and making compilations. (I have ONLY been using a component deck in my home system -- I have NOT "taken advantage" of the portability of MiniDisc at all.) I do not like the results of "computer -based" recording of analog sources and I particularly like the editing flexibility of MiniDisc over CD-RW and especially over CD-R. The advanced ATRACK algorithm in the Sony MDS JB-930 works quite well, and once I have my "master" ready to go it is easy to zip out a CD-R to take in the car or use in one of my many portable CD players.

Burke

PS -- no one pays me to use MiniDisc with other peoples ' equipment -- or to tout it, so I'm not a "pimp" either :>)

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• John Holmes
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Kevin,

I don't own one but, I've been thinking about it for as long as you have had one! :LOL:

All the reasons stated above, is why I want it. I'm just not sure how long it will be supported. CDR/CD-RW seems to be holding their own in the market, which may be available for longer support.

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
        "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• P-Dub
          Office Moderator
          • Aug 2000

Count me in as a MD supporter. I've loved the format since it's introduction, but didn't have the opportunity to purchase into the format until last year. Of course now with newer units out, I wish I had waited.

I don't really know the ins and outs of recording quality, vs MP3 vs original. What I do know is with the MLDP feature I can squeeze extend recording times to 4 times the regular 74 min MD. The quality at that level is okay, I much prefer the 2x extended playback. I find I can't really tell the difference between 1x and 2x. I need to run it on my home system in order to discren a difference, and even that is questionable.

One thing of note is that MD playback levels are much lower than other CD players. Don't know if that's just built in, but I know on my ancient CD player, I can't move the volume past 5 or I'll blow my ears and have massive distortion. But on my MD, I can crank it to max and it's not that loud.

Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.
          Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"