X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SMiLEY
    • Sep 2000

My ancient RPTV

Okay, so I have a Pioneer SD-P4571. I'd say this TV is about 5 years old. It's a 45" screen and it only has composite inputs.

Ever since I got this TV, so many years ago, I haven't been able to adjust the contrast/brightness like on other sets. The controls on the front of the TV only allow me to set the Convergence and set the channel modes. The remote has nothing on it about brightness or anything. So how do I adjust this? Is there a way?

It's possible that the remote I have is not the correct remote for my TV, as I bought it as a floor model. There are several buttons that have never done anything on this TV.

I'd also like to pick up a protective screen for it, does anyone know if newer screens will fit on older RPTV's?

Additionally, Is there a way the TV can be modified to accept better inputs? Like S-Video or Component? That would be pretty cool.

Are the benefits of having an RPTV ISF calibrated the same or similar to having an HD-ready set calibrated? Does anyone know who in the Atlanta area does ISF calibration?

I ask all this because a new TV really isn't in my budget, and probably won't be for awhile and I'd really like to get the most I can out of this one.
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

ISF calibration can make a dramatic improvement on any TV. If you're looking for an ISF tech in your area try ISF
    I highly doubt there's an easy way to add s-video in to your TV but there has to be a way to adjust the contast and brightness etc on that set...even setting those properly with the Avia DVD would make a marked improvement in the image quality

Comment

• ThomasW
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

SMiLY

ISF calibration runs about $250+

Adding S-video inputs would most likely be very expensive if at all possible. The set won't have the necessary internal filters. This also doesn't make economic sense for an older set. It's not a good investment.

I'd check with a Pioneer service center, all TV's have the settings you want to do, you may need to buy a service manual and proper remote in order to access them.

Andrew is correct about using the AVIA disc when you are able to access the service menu. This will be the best "bang for the buck" investment you can make for you RPTV.

theAudioWorx
      Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• SMiLEY
        • Sep 2000

Well, I just ordered a new remote and a service manual from Pioneer, so we'll see.

The service manual is on microfiche, so I guess I get to make a trip to the library! Whee!

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"