X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Matt Broeska
    • Nov 2000

progressive scan, sacd player?

k. so i know these exist, but what are my options? i think sony has one, but who else? i'm not planning on buying a new player right away, but i am planning on my next player. it has to be progressive scan first, sacd would be the icing on the cake. right now, the front runner is this nad 5 disc player. jeff kowerchuk has done some testing of this unit and claims it doesn't have the chroma bug and that it's audio components are top notch. the reason i might be going for a changer, is that i don't have a stand alone cd player and this unit would handle both tasks.

alternatively, could anyone suggest a good progressive scan player and a good sacd player? let's say $1000 cdn budget for both together...
    Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.
    That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Matt unless you buy one and steal the other its impossible to buy a progressive scan DVD player and a stand alone SACD player for under $1K cdn...hell you'd just barely be able to do that for $1K USD

Right now the only option you have is the Sony DVP-NS900V and its priced at around $800 US I think

The cheapest stand alone SACD player is the Sony 670 which is a single disc model and its going for $599 Cdn at future shop. From what I've read from people who have compared the "budget" SACD players to the ES line all say that they are good but not close to the ES models.

Comment

• Matt Broeska
      • Nov 2000

you raise some good points there, andrew. i guess i've been reading the prices of all these things as cdn dollars when most have been usd. i'll probably just stick with the nad prog player for now (assuming i get it that is).

as an addition... is the dvp-ns900v progressive? it looks to me like the new players that end in "v" aren't their progressive players. seems that if i want the best of both worlds i'd have to go for the dvps9000es...

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

the 900V is a progressive unit as far as I know

Comment

• Matt Broeska
          • Nov 2000

yup. you're right. i did some searches for it and found that it is. why would sony end it in a "v" then? all their progressive players end in "p." after checking it out, it is a pretty sweet looking player, that's for sure.

getting back to the nad multidisc player however... what are your thoughts on using a player as your main cd/dvd player? i have a "crazy" friend who claims that using a player for both tasks, all the time, can be a "strain" on the laser... is there any truth to that? or does that sound more like a futile shop salesman story to try an' sell you a dvd player and a cd player? not that my friend works there, but it sounds like something someone that works there would say...

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

hmmm well some of the DVD players have two lasers one for each task but I think that was given up a while back in favor of a laser capable of handeling both wavelenghts. Generally though most people tend to say that DVD players don't make good CD players regardless of the cost of the player with the exception of Jon's beloved Arye (sp?) DVD player.

Comment

• ThomasW
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

It's Ayre, Andrew

And yup in general DVD players have lots more jitter compared to CD players

theAudioWorx
              Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• SiliGoose
                • Aug 2000

You can go cheap and get the forthcoming Apex player. It does progressive scan, SACD, and DVD-A. All for under $200.

-Sili
                www.campmurphy.net

Comment

• ThomasW
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

Don't hold your breath about the Apex doing real SACD. They don't pay licensing fees. As a result they have no access to the chips and are using PCM to create fake SACD. As for DVD-A I believe they're in the same boat with it as well.

Apex players are cheap but a terrible investment. Just try to sell one one e-bay and see what happens. You'll have your auction shutdown by Phillips and get a nice little letter explaining why.

Here's the text from one of the letters

Thank you for your inquiry. I apologize for the inconvenience that this auction cancellation has caused you and your good customers.

The DVD player which you are attempting to sell infringes numerous patents held by Philips and other companies. The U.S. patent law allows patent holders to prevent the sale of any item that infringes their patent(s).

Philips encourages many brands of players to be available lawfully in the market. Philips has no interest in preventing the free trade of DVD players. We offer a license under our patents for DVD player manufacturers on reasonable and non-discriminatory conditions.

Numerous companies are licensed. Other have chosen to ignore the rights of patent owners. Unfortunately, the manufacturer of your player, unlike many of its competitors, has chosen not to be licensed.

Please understand that Philips spent great effort developing the DVD related technology for all to enjoy. The patents are one way that research companies like Philips are able to and encouraged to develop new products.

Thanks for your understanding.

Regards,
                  Ginger Affolter
                  IP Assistant
                  Philips System Standards & Licensing
                  Philips Corporate Intellectual Property
                  PHILIPS ELECTRONICS NORTH AMERICA CORP.
                  1000 W. Maude Avenue, Sunnyvale, CA 94085-2810

theAudioWorx
                  Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

I agree the Apex players fill a niche but aren't good buys as a primary unit.

Comment

• SiliGoose
                      • Aug 2000

So, how does Apex get away with this?

-Sili
                      www.campmurphy.net

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"