X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • P-Dub
    Office Moderator
    • Aug 2000

HT on the cheap

I'm on a search for cheap HT setup for my sister-inlaw.

The current favourite is the Kenwood HTB504. I've heard that this is a great system, comes with all speakers and a powered sub, plus the receiver will do DTS and DPL2. Current price is about C$800. I took a look at it and the speakers had a nice heft to them, though spring loaded cable connectors. The sub is a hefty looking unit. The receiver has enough inputs, and binding posts only for the main speakers.

Another unit that I've seen is one at Costco. It's a Pioneer unit selling for C$480. 5 speakers, but smaller than the Kenwood, a smaller sub, but still powered, and a receiver, no DPL2 but DD and DTS. For the price it looks pretty good, don't know how good it sounds.

Another interesting thing at Costco, is the Dbox speakers. They are now selling a pair of bookshelves for C$100 and a center for C$120. Plus the Dbox 12" powered sub for C$300. So for about C$620 you could have a matching set of speakers and sub, all you would need is a decent receiver to drive them.

At the moment the budget's around C$1,200. So the dBox setup might be an option. I've also thought about setting up an Enery Take5 system with an entry level Denon, Yamaha, or Sony DB840.

But I'd like to see how the Kenwood performs.

Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.
    Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

hey I've got an idea

Comment

Working...
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"