X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Sony 9000ES pre amp upgradle available

For those that own the Sony 9000 ES pre amp the latest upgrade is now available.

Click here for more details

• Dave Rubin
    • Aug 2000

Thanks Andrew,

I'm going for it.

BTW, I've missed the story on the TA-P9000ES......is this now available in the US? And is it worthwhile?

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Dave I've read some comments on it and they were fairly positive. I think JandR or Oade is selling the unit but I'm not sure about price.

Here's the user manual for it
      TA-P9000ES

More good info here

Comment

• ThomasW
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

The P9000ES is available from Oade Bros for $450. It's a powered switcher with 5.1 analog bypass.

I'd caution people regarding the V2.5 software upgrade. People have been experiencing some really wierd issues. Also there doesn't seem to be much evidence that it provides any significant sonic benefit over V2.01. So unless you live in Japan and need the Mpeg 2 decoding for satellite TV I'd stay with V2.01, (at least that's what I'm doing)

More info than anyone needs to know about the Sony 9000ES pre/pro

theAudioWorx
        Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Thomas there's been lots of discussion on that board about the merits or lack there of in the ver 2.5 software and in the polls that I've read most agree that the 2.5 software did in fact make some changes to other area's of the firmware not just MPEG2 decoding. Is it possible to revert back to a previous firmware? ie if you install 2.5 can you run the updater and install version 2.1?

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

TA-P on ebay

Comment

• ThomasW
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Andrew

Any version of the firmware can be installed at anytime. It's similar to flashing a computer bios. A null modem cable is connected to the pre/pro and the software program does the rest.

I don't trust the critical listening ability of most of the people that post on the 9000 Forum. When the 'hottest' amp to many is a strapped Sony N9000ES, and they're listening to bi-wired mini-monitors. I fail to see how they can actually hear the differences they claim exist. Their systems just don't have the ability to resolve that level of detail.

On my ESL there was a difference in the noise floor between V1.18 and V2.01. But it wasn't light years better as many on the forum claim.

Some of those people are so goofy that they have actively bi-amped mini-monitors with Marchand XM9 XO's. But haven't made any attempt to compensate for the loss of baffle step compensation that existed in their stock passive XO's. Then they foam at the mouth about how much better the bi-amped sound is. That, is true folly

Oh I finally found a true 'deal' for your new mains...

There's a guy near Cleveland Ohio. He's got a set of fullrange Apogee ribbons. New they were $15,000. He's selling them for $300. The ribbon elements themselves are toast, but new ones can be purchased for less than a couple grand US. He's has the shipping crates but doesn't want to hassle crating them up for shipping, hence the $300 price. Now if you drive down there with a truck you could get them, crate them up and the crate will only weigh 1000lbs....... The individual speakers themselve weigh 365lbs ea. I have a friend here in Denver with a pair. They are the finest sounding speakers I've ever heard. If your wife isn't too keen on having a pair of 730lb speakers 80" height and 36' wide just bring them to Denver and I'll take then off your hands :B

theAudioWorx
              Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"