my first setup (no pics, but read anyway)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Matt Broeska
    • Nov 2000

my first setup (no pics, but read anyway)

since everyone always posts about their new setups, i thought i should announce my new, and first, surround sound setup.

i should start off by saying that early on in my demoing, i reallized what a huge part of my theater will be dedicated to music. in the beginning i had thought 80% movies, 20% music but really it's much closer to 50/50. so after a couple months of demoing speakers and receivers in my price range (always starting off demos with music in stereo) i finally decided on the marantz sr6200, monitor audio bronze 2's (mains), bronze centre, bronze 1's (surrounds), and a paradigm ps-1000 sub. but that's not all my friends, i also bought an nad 533 turntable. good lord, is it sweet. last night i listened to miles davis' greatest hits in both stereo and pl2 and what a treat that was.

this speaker/receiver combo i found to be the most... uhhh... detailed of what i listened to. i found paradigm's monitor 3's to be a bit too boomy, the boston's i listened to just didn't quite cut it, same with the b&w's i listened to (although i've heard that if you really want good b&w's you've gotta PAY for them). in the end it was between the MA bronze's and the mirage frx-3's because of their detail and excellent sound stage. while close, the bronze's beat them out by a small margin and now i'm in music and movie heaven.

i should also say, HUGE props go out to jay mitchosky for spending a good chunk of his day saturday (4 - 5 hours) helping me setup. i certainly couldn't have done it on my own.

once i get a better a/v rack for my equipment, i'll post pictures.

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.
    That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.
  • P-Dub
    Office Moderator
    • Aug 2000

Wow, that sounds like a really nice setup. I like the feature set of the Marantz, and I'm sure it must sound really great with the Monitor Audio's. Kudo's to Jay, he's an allround nice guy who definitely knows what he's doing!

FYI, there's a massive thread over at HTF on the recent S&V review of the Marantz 7200. Be sure to check out page 9 as it has a brief summary of the some issues on the 6200.
    Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.

Comment

• Bing Fung
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Aug 2000

Sounds like a nice setup Matt, looking forward to the pics.

I second the Good Guy Jay!

Bing
      Bing

Comment

• Matt Broeska
        • Nov 2000

thanks for the feedback guys. i can't believe how fast you replied.

paul, i have seen that thread but haven't tackled it past page 4 or 5. i checked out page 9 to see what issues others had and i can say that i haven't had any of those, but... someone (i can't remember where in that thread) mentioned the audio dropouts when skipping tracks or at the beginning of new tracks (ie, when at a menu or at the beginning of a movie when it jumps from title to title). there's an audio dropout of about a half second to a second.

i'm hoping its just a player incompatibility issue but i'm doubtfull of that. if it were, i'd be happy to get toshiba's new 3750 progressive scan player.

anyway, i'm going back to the store tonight to drop some things off so i'll talk to them about it. i hope i don't have to take it back and exchange it cause it's such an ordeal what with unhooking all the cables and repackaging the receiver...

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

M@ you dun gud Any chance you could bring that 6200 over one night? I'd love to hear it on my maggies vs the denon as a pre amp...could be fun.

Comment

• Lex
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Apr 2001

Congrats Matt! I remember that feeling you must have right now, when I got my first surround sound receiver. No, no DD or DTS, in fact DTS wasn't even a glimmer in someone's eye at that point, lol. This was like 92. Of course, I was into stereo before that.

But I really commend you on your decision to not be wowed by a setup's theater abilities. Rather, you zeroed in on music first. Gret move, as it's always been my opinion that a very musical speaker can always do home theater, but an HT speaker that doesn't do good music? In the end, you won't be happy with it for HT either. Simply, a good bit of our soundtracks are well, music!

Congrats again, and enjoy!

Lex
            Doug
            "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jan 2001

Matt,
              Excellent setup. I was interested to see you added a turntable.Do you have many lps ? I have around 300 or so and still love to go back and listen to vinyl. I'm one of those guys who prefer the clicks and pops of vinyl, compared to the all too clean digital sound of cds.
              Miles Davis ? You must be a jazz lover.So am I, though I tend to go way back to Duke Elligton, Count Basie, Louis Armstrong,Harry James,plus some of the earlier Dixieland stuff.

My Homepage!
              My Homepage!

Comment

• Wireless
                • Feb 2001

Sounds like a nice setup and always glad to hear someone enjoying the qualities of vinyl!

John
                My HT Picts
                John
                My HT Picts

Comment

• Matt Broeska
                  • Nov 2000

wow! even more responses. let's see if i can tackle all of this...

andrew, are you serious? bring it over? what, on the bus? we live like a million miles away from eachother and i don't have a car. just jokes. that would be fun, but i don't see it happening too soon.

lex, i was told by both andrew and jay that it would be best to test out music first as a musical speaker will work well for ht, but not neccessarily vice versa. i'm glad i did it that way otherwise i could seriously see myself regretting it.

george and wireless, the turntable is my favorite piece. i don't have that much vinyl (only about 30 lps right now) but just started collecting this past summer when i realized that in the uk, all my favorite albums have been released on vinyl (mainly radiohead). have you ever been to simply vinyl? they seem to be the "criterion" of vinyl. i just ordered beach boys: pet sounds from them a couple weeks ago. as far as being a jazz lover, really i'm more of just an eclectic music lover. when i was in montreal this past summer i picked up 5 beatles albums for 23 bucks. nothing beats vinyl, or the prices.

and lastly, in reference to my problem from my above post, i went to creative audio last night, and they had suggested that it might be my dvd player dropping it's bitstream when skipping tracks and the receiver taking a second to pick it up again. at any rate, i'm bring in my dvd player there this saturday to test it on another 6200 to see what is at fault exactly.

thanks everyone for the positive feedback.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

Matt thats too bad...where's the new apartment? I'd love to hear your rig one of these days...

From what they're saying on HTF it might be a problem with the 6200 not the DVD player but you should find that out this weekend. I guess I could always haul over my panny player if you want.

Comment

• Matt Broeska
                      • Nov 2000

andrew, i sent you an email. also, i'm just posting so i can reach 100 posts. hooray for me.

Comment

• Lex
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Apr 2001

Hey Congrats on 100 posts Matt! Not bad at all.

Lex
                        Doug

Comment

• Trevor Schell
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2000

Hey Matt,, You certainly have a nice set-up there. I will be right over for a listen.
                          Now that Jay has finished helping you set everything up you can turn the bass back up to +12.

Enjoy your new system.

Trevor
                          My HomeTheater S.E.
                          Sonically Enhanced
                          C5
                          Trevor

XBOX 360 CARD

Comment

• Matt Broeska
                            • Nov 2000

trev, thanks. hey, is that, "*Outdated pictures due to recent upgrades," going to be a permanent sig line? every time i see a post by you, you've got something new.

Comment

• Lex
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Apr 2001

Matt, I think I can answer that question, lol. I am getting to know Trev pretty well.

Cable Guy DVD Collection
                              Doug

Comment

• John Holmes
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Aug 2000

Congrats Matt!

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
                                "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• Matt Broeska
                                  • Nov 2000

so i thought i'd add to my previous posts to say that last night i finally watched my first surround sound movie IN FULL. so far for the past few days i've only watched a bunch of reference scenes and listened to music. but last night i had a few guys over from work and, aside from demoing star wars, t2, titan oy vey, we watched all of final fantasy.

i am totally pleased with this setup. panning (to my ears at least) is seamless. directional effects are fantastic. and the sub is totally not localizable (sp?). the only time i knew where the sub was for sure was when my floor was shaking enough that i could tell that it was coming from my left.

i don't know if having the crossover at 80 hz would make much of a difference (since i'm locked at 100 with the marantz), but you're not going to hear me complain about 100hz.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Jan 2001

"when my floor was shaking"

You just gotta love subs when the floors and the walls rattle, and when the pantleg flutters. Try firing up U571, Matt, it just may cause your house to crumble.

My Homepage!
                                    My Homepage!

Comment

Working...
                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                    Search Result for "|||"