X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rock Dog
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2003

The Whole idea was to buy ONE thing!

Don't you hate it when you go into your local shop to purchase that one piece. Usually a major upgrade or add on component and walk out with 2 or 3 or 4 more items?

Damn It! Mrs. Dog had been putting away some money for sometime , with the intent on giving it to me as a birthday present (recently passed.) Instead of buying me something, she basically gave me a "home made" gift certificate stating she had set aside X dollars for me to use towards the purchase of anything I've been wanting, but would not buy myself, because I always put everyone, and everything else ahead of myself, my desires. I mean we probably would not have the Sony GWII LCD RPTV, if it hadn't been for the fact that SHE really wanted one as well. Of course I wanted it, but I wouldn't have spent the money just for my own selfish pleasure, but of course when she said "I would really like to get a big screen." (Mrs. Dog is an over-the-top, screaming, yelling, and jumping... Detroit Red Wings fan.)

I digress...

Mrs. Dog gave me a fairly large "Gift Certificate." So I decided (well I decided a long time ago, rather I am going to pull the trigger) it's time to go to a 6 or 7.1 system since I have the funds to do so, without feeling guilty. I bought a set of rear surrounds last week, and put them in place of the dipoles I had on the back wall. My intention is to then move the dipoles out to a true (just behind, and facing the main listening/seating) surround position. Of course my RMB-1095 is only a 5-channel amp. Poor, poor, woeful me. I'll have to go out and buy the RB-1080. Oh Darn... But I have to run some new speaker wire and plan on doing this during the long Turkey day weekend. So I contacted the dealer yesterday hoping that if he didn't have a silver RB-1080 in stock, I could get one by Turkey day. Well, he had one in his warehouse, and could have it in the store today. I took a couple of vacation hours off work to leave early and go pick it up.

But, I then realized that I also need to add another shelf to the rack. No big deal, and a nominal cost, comparatively. I mean it's a $50 or $70 dollar item. Compared to the cost of the amp and other equipment. Peanuts...

While in the store, waiting for my salesman to finish with another customer. I noticed a product I had researched before, and planned on getting (or at least something of it's ilk, I never really considered this particular product, mostly due to cost.) But they had just started to carry the line, and there, on the counter was the Panamax MAX® 5510 ACRegenerator® I looked it over, checked out the specs, checked out the diagram on the top of the box and started to ask questions. What a nice piece of kit (as our British friends might say.) 2 Dedicated 2 channel outlets (Hey, I've got 2 power amps now.) Delay-able start up sequences. 10 outlets in the back, one "easy to reach" in the front. Two beautiful, old skool, current and voltage meters, 4 always-on outlets, 4 configurable (always-on, or switched) outlets. Plus Sat, Cable coax filters, and a phone filter. (TiVo uses a phone line, I said to myself.) Then I started to read the specs and was starting to feel a bit flush. I asked how much, and was hit with YEE-OUCH, that's what my 1066 cost.

"Do you have them instock"? I asked, he says he only had the one, they just took it out of the box, and were getting ready to put it on display. The cables (still wrapped in their packaging) were right there on the counter next to it. It was spotless, just a couple of finger prints. No dust, the box was on an adjacent table, and the manual and owners registration card and such were still hermetically sealed and in the box. ?Hmm he did just take it out. He says he'll give me a deal on that one since he opened it, (which he did, almost $400 worth) even if it was only 30 minutes ago. And just get another one out of the warehouse, so he can set IT up for display tomorrow.

Then the clincher... He pulled out his Noise Sniffer.

I've actually seen, and used this device before (and others like it,) in my work to track down issues in DAQ circuits, and problems with signal degradation. It's a speaker in a box, that you plug into a wall outlet to hear what is one the line. No "snake oil" circuitry, just some stuff to keep the 110V feed from melting the voice coil. He has a Max 5300, which is the $500 (or so) model, plugged in at a display. It's plugged into the top outlet of a 2-receptacle plug, and he plugs the sniffer into the bottom outlet. The Sniffer starts generating what can only be described as Pink Noise, although much dirtier. Then he plugs the sniffer into the Max 5300, and it's dead quite. He goes back and forth a couple of times, and next thing I know. They're putting the 5510 back in it's box and sealing it while they run the credit card.

So I go in to get my new RB-1080, and walk out with that, a new shelf for my rack, and a
    Panamax MAX® 5510 ACRegenerator®

The moral to this story. DO NOT go into audio/video stores. They're bad! Only evil people reside within, with voodoo magic, and salivation generation devices, that will surely be your downfall.

-Thomas-

The easiest way to find something lost around the house, is to buy a replacement.

Hey You! Make sure you stop by the HTguide Off-Topic section. It's FUN!!!

-Thomas-

As long as people will accept crap, it will be financially profitable to dispense it.

Hey You! Make sure you stop by the HTguide After Midnight section. It's FUN!!!
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

Ah ha! I hope this wasn't a test just to see if you'd really spend that money. :LOL:

Congrats Thomas, it couldn't happen to a nicer guy. pseudo 7.1 yeah with quite noise floor! Enjoy.

Lex
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Wow :E That's some shopping trip. You know your wife and mine really need to start talking :LOL:

Comment

• Rock Dog
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2003

Originally posted by Lex
        Ah ha! I hope this wasn't a test just to see if you'd really spend that money. :LOL:

Congrats Thomas, it couldn't happen to a nicer guy. pseudo 7.1 yeah with quite noise floor! Enjoy.

Lex
        What do you mean by "pseudo 7.1?" Am I missing something? Please, All wise and knowing Plinth, of the Copper Conductance Realm.

Sorry, watching WAY too much Lord Of The Rings lately.

-Thomas-

The easiest way to find something lost around the house, is to buy a replacement.

-Thomas-

As long as people will accept crap, it will be financially profitable to dispense it.

Comment

• Lex
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Apr 2001

Well, I simply mean, the true digital recording is 5.1. Your gear makes it seem like 7.1. But there truly is no 7.1 yet. It's 7 channels and a subwoofer derived from 5.1 I know, it's a small distinction. But one I've always liked to make anyway. That's true in my Lexicon system as well.

Lex
          Doug

Comment

• Rock Dog
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2003

BUT, is it not true that I get closer to realizing the ultimate goal, if the media contains the discrete data. Like Austin Powers in Goldmember. It's got a 6.1 track, as well as The Two Towers-Extended Edition.

These two 6.1 recordings would treat my back channels as one, correct?

P.S. Any chance you get. "I've got a Lexicon, I've got Logic 7, nah nah nahhh, na nah nah? <-----Lex

j/k

-Thomas-

-Thomas-

Comment

• aud19
              Twin Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2003

Hahaha :LOL:

J.R.

Need a new display? Questions about new display technologies? Visit RPTVs, plasmas, and other monitors @ HTguide
              Jason

Comment

• fhidayat
                • Oct 2002

Thomas, Congrats! that is one nice ac regenerator! I bought its sibling 5500, replaced the faceplate to silver to match the growing silvery gears I have. It works great, and the front ac outlet is such an outstanding feature in itself...

:banana:
                :banana:

Comment

• Rock Dog
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Jan 2003

Well that's good to hear. I've been having second thoughts about buying the unit. HOWEVER. That's my M.O. I go through serious buyer's remorse with any major purchase. Funny, I don't feel it with the AMP. Adding it to my 1066/1095 setup should really be a plus, expecially once I get my side surrounds up and wired.

But I've been wondering if the 5510 ACRegenerator was the right choice, there's not a lot of "user" info on it out there.

I do however have a problem. Even though it's got 2 high current outlets, I need to hookup my amps and my sub. I just might go out and pick up another Panamax device.

The Panamax Max Light 4200 I can plug it into one of the high current outlets on the 5510. That will give me 9 high current oulets. Since it's basically a passthrough, with a littlel flitering. Then I can plug the 2 amps, the sub, and the bottom of both mains into it, since they have 250 watt RMS driven dual 8" subs in them as well.

I'll have to think about it. It's a nominal cost since the unit retails at $199 or so. I'm also goin to check out the silver faceplate. It'll make a nice accent.

-Thomas-

-Thomas-

Comment

• Lex
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Apr 2001

haha Thomas. You should probably go to my web site just to see how much of an a%%hole I am.

I don't usually have a lot of buyer's remorse with audio video gear, I don't know why. Except for saying I owe how much now? :bluezoned:

However, I bought a 2001 Corvette Z06 a month or so ago, and had so much buyer's remorse, that I wound up taking it back to the dealer and trading back into a BMW, consequently loosing my ;s@ I really about made myself sick over it along with all the other problems I had at the time. Let's just say stress had some impact along with the fact it scraped on my drive way every time in and out, and I just wasn't comfortable inside it. oh well. at least I got back into a really nice 2002 330ci.

Back to my HT, here's the latest pics:

lex
                    Doug

Comment

• ht_addict
                      • Dec 2002

Don't you hate it when you go into your local shop to purchase that one piece
                      I've hated going into my local shop for the last 4mths cuz everytime I go in, I come out with something new. I hate that they have this "buy now pay later plan" thats got me addicted. Actually its allowed me to take my setup to a new level without the financial bruden of paying up front. In the last 4mths I've:

1. Went to the Hazardous depot to drop of old oil. It just happens to be 5min away from my local dealer so I decided to drop in and shoot the @#$@. Ended up walking out with a Rotel RMB-1095

2. Due to the 1095 being oh so powerful I felt it just wasn't being used to the max with my Paradigm Mini Monitors/CC350 setup. So a couple months later I went back to my local dealer and wouldn't you know they had the new Studio line. Ended up walking out with v3 Studio 40/20/470

3. About a week ago I got to thinking that a new pre/pro would just be icing on the cake for my setup. And maybe just maybe get me to the point that I can finally say for 4-5yrs, "I don't need to upgrade" So I did a little research on the net. Saw that pre/pros woud cost me a fortune and decided on going with a receiver. So back to the dealer I go and end up walking out with a Yamaha RX-V1400. Hooked it up to my 1095 and :E what a difference.

Now I have felt some remorse for buying all this new stuff, though never in my lifetime would my significant other ever think about buying this stuff for me. She likes watching movies on the HT but doesn't understand the need to upgrade. Do any them? I did sell of all my old gear that I replaced. I did work two recent elections(prov/city) and I work a little job on the side for extra $$$. But still I feel remorse, WHY?

ht_addict

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"