X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ken McDaniel
    • Aug 2000

24/96 Signals

Enough patting ourselves on the back. It's time to get down to business:

From looking around the web it's becoming that 24/96 2-channel DVD is quickly becoming the rage. My Denon DVD-3000 player downconverts the signal before it goes through the cable. MSB offers a conversion the the player that will let it send the signal without downconversion.

For discussion: If I get the player converted, will I have to get an outboard DAC? What does this do to non-two channel software?

I have a Denon AVP-8000 pre-amp with an analog passthrough or " DIRECT" mode. The pre-amp has a 20-bit processor.

Ken
    Ken
  • Lexman
    Super Senior Member
    • Jun 2000

Ken, let me give this a go and excuse me while I steal quotes from you. Its the only way to make this make sense I think.

From looking around the web it's becoming that 24/96 2-channel DVD is quickly becoming the rage.
    Well maybe.

My Denon DVD-3000 player downconverts the signal before it goes through the cable. MSB offers a conversion the player that will let it send the signal without downconversion.
    MSB does good work, but sometimes prices can be a bit high. Just be sure to compare the price of getting a new player, and selling the old. Odds are good, MSB is still a lot cheaper. So, if your player is not really old and outdated, the retrofit is probably the best way to go.

For discussion: If I get the player converted, will I have to get an outboard DAC? What does this do to non-two channel software?
    I doubt that the Denon processor is capable of 96/24, but then again, I dont know for sure. If it doesnt downconvert, then your good to go. But if it does, in order to enjoy the full 24 bits worth, (or 22, whatever it works out to be), you will need an external 2 channel DAC for 2 channels of 96/24 input.

I have a Denon AVP-8000 pre-amp with an analog passthrough or DIRECT mode. The pre-amp has a 20-bit processor.
    With the Analog pass through, you should be able to run one digital output to the DAC, and of course, it feeds the Denon processor left and right analog signals. You will also need to insure that the Denon DVD player has multiple digital outputs, cause you need to run a second digital output from the Denon player to the pre-processor for your multi-channel DVDs. Then simply switch between the modes. Shouldnt be a problem.

Again, few processors actually process 96/24, most downconvert. If I messed up anywhere, feel free to jump in and correct me, but I believe I got this right

Hope this helps,

Lex

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Ken IMO I wouldn't do the MSB upgrade on the Denon since its an older unit and there are alternatives that are cheaper. Both the Panasonic A120 and A320 as well as all the Pioneers will output the full 96-24 signal through the digital outs. Note that not all receivers can accept 96-24 through the digital inputs either so you have to becareful that you don't truncate the signal at the pre amp side of things. I know my Denon 3300 can accept it and has 96-24 decoders on board so I'm set. If you like the image you're getting from the denon you will also like the panasonic image since the denon's are based on panasonic's A310 model. The A320 is an extremely good DVD player with lots of enhancement features that can make a noticable difference on the image.

Comment

• Lexman
        Super Senior Member
        • Jun 2000

Who is moderating over here anyway Andrew? lol.

Actually, that was an excellent post, and a great differing perspective. It seems that your more in tune with his gear than I was, and that's a good thing

Thanks for the contribution. Now, I am on my way over to Of Remote Interest to see if I can help any of your customers :P. lol.

Lex

Comment

• Ken McDaniel
          • Aug 2000

Thanks for the frank replies. I'm now up to speed on the 24/96 rage. I checked with some other knowledgeable friends of ours and acquired a list of availiable titles in the format (kudos to John Beavers). I can't find much in the current generation of gear that equals quality of the dual 20-bit processors in the Denon AVP-8000.

Until the current generation advances to the point where my DD/DTS 5.1 is obsolete, I think I'll stay put right where I am. Looks like I'll have to spend my money elsewhere in my system. Hmmmmmmm.......

Ken
          Ken

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Lex you know you're always welcome over there...even if you're not remotely interested in what goes on in there.

Ken well luckily for you we specialize in spending other peoples money LOL

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"