X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

My next DVD player?

given the problems I'm having with my Panny A320 this one looks like an interesting player to replace it with...thoughts? Price on Crutchfield is $299 USD so you should be able to find it cheaper else where...

Sony DVP-NS500V

• JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

Well, since I haven't bought an STB DVD player in years, I'm probably the last person you should listen to any advice about re a new DVD player.

But, since I just love to type so much, here goes.

You haven't really said much about your requirements or goals. I'm going to go out on a limb a bit and suggest looking at progressive players (why not be optomistic?), so consider going upscale slightly and looking at the NS700P.

It doesn't have the built in audio decoder, but it DOES have a new progressive scan chip from Sony, which generally works quite well with both film and video sources. Price is the same. Appearance is quite similar, but with a silver front panel.

Best regards,

Jon

Earth First!
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Bing Fung
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Aug 2000

Looks like a good player to fill the void.

But, since I just love to type so much, here goes.
      LOL Jon!

Bing
      Bing

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Jon I'm likely stuck with an interlaced player for some time so progressive abilities aren't that high a priority...getting SACD might be something I can use now though.

Comment

• JonMarsh
          Mad Max Moderator
          • Aug 2000

Well Gosh, Andrew, why didn't you say so? SACD? Of course!

Be warned- those disks will cost you almost as much as a cheap DVD- and you'll probably play them more often- and it may lead to the urge to upgrade other parts of your audio system.

Just don't say you weren't warned.....

-Jon

Earth First!
          M8ta
          Modula Neo DCC
          Modula MT XE
          Modula Xtreme
          Isiris
          Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
          Minerva Monitor
          Calliope
          Ardent D

In Development...
          Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
          Obi-Wan
          Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
          Modula PWB
          Calliope CC Supreme
          Natalie P Ultra
          Natalie P Supreme
          Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
          Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

upgrade other parts of your audio system
            Well maybe but I'm pretty much set for now...speakers aren't likely to change much unless I do the mod that thomas and I have talked about before (adding drivers to handle upper bass)...I love my new Musical Fidelity amp...pre amp is one area that does need changing though Got lots of Silvercats so thats done LOL

The biggest upgrade I'll do will be next year when I move into a house where I'll be free to set it up optimally in its own room

Comment

• SiliGoose
              • Aug 2000

I'm in need of a new DVD player too. After careful consideration I really think I'm leaning toward using Microsoft's Xbox as my primary DVD player.

It'll cost $299 when released on November 8 and will require a $30 "DVD Pack" to enable DVD playback. However, if reports of this thing's DVD performance are true everyone will likely want one. Not only is Xbox supposed to do progressive scan but it is also said to be capable of scaling DVD playback up to 1080i just like a good HTPC.

Not bad for $330, huh?

-Sili
              www.campmurphy.net

Comment

• Lex
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Apr 2001

Not bad at all Sili!

I think Andnrew's lure to the Sony is the SACD, and hell, can you blame him? I may wind up selling my Tohiba 9000 and doing the same thing! Yes, I love the Tosh's build quality, but SACD, is sooo tempting.

But then the 9000's been a good player, a slight glitch on a few discs, and I never sent it back for the upgrade. tisk tisk. I find myself short on time, and effort at times. Overall, fairly happy with the 9000 though.

Lex
                Doug
                "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• P-Dub
                  Office Moderator
                  • Aug 2000

Wow, I haven't been following the Xbox but now I'm waiting to hear some reviews on the DVD performance from the Xbox. Kinda like, buy a DVD player and have a game machine for free. Isn't the Xbox a stripped down PC anyway? So the playback should be on par with any other kind of HTPC.

Now this is convergence.
                  Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.

Comment

• Matt Broeska
                    • Nov 2000

to continue getting off topic a little, the xbox is also gonna do in game dolby digital 5.1 surround for some games. i'm wondering whether to preorder september 1st or not...
                    Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.
                    That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Jan 2001

Andrew-
                      The price is certainly right on that Sony, plus you get SACD. I would probably go for it. I have always had good luck with Sony DVD players.
                      BTW- when you get that dedicated room, will you be going for front projection ,too ?

My Homepage!
                      My Homepage!

Comment

• SiliGoose
                        • Aug 2000

Matt,

Yes!

This is pure speculation but I wonder why Xbox couldn't play SACD (or DVD-A) too? I'm quite sure the hardware is capable of it...the nVidia designed sound chip is supposed to be phenomenal. I would guess that SACD software (or firmware) is all that would be needed. ??

-Sili
                        www.campmurphy.net

Comment

• Matt Broeska
                          • Nov 2000

i should probably start a new thread but...

i didn't know that xbox was going to do hardware scaling for dvds. i assumed that by "hdtv movie support" microsoft would mean 480p (although i did hope for 720p or 1080i since it's capable). if it does do scaling it's going ot be an incredible machine. the downside to getting this quality is that you have to pay for all the peripherals. the dvd kit (remote and ir receiver) is gonna be about $50 cdn, the hdtv av pack will be about another $50, plus once you have the hd av pack, you have to go out and buy more component cables for it. plus a new toslink or coax cable for digital sound (not sure which it uses). seriously adding up here.

i should also add that if you want it on launch day, eb wants you to buy a bundle. 700 bucks (cdn) for the xbox, 2 games, and a peripheral. that's quite a bit.

anyway, that's my rant. thanks for listening.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Aug 2000

hmm the Xbox sounds interesting but aren't we all forgetting who makes its OS I can just imagine watching a great action flick when all of a sudden we get a blue screen of death LOL

Comment

• Bing Fung
                              Ultra Senior Member
                              • Aug 2000

Matt, also they will increase the processor speed each month forcing us to perpetually upgrade :B

Still, I want one!

Andrew, that looks like a great entry into the SACD market, I want one of those too

Bing
                              Bing

Comment

• SiliGoose
                                • Aug 2000

pure speculation but I wonder why Xbox couldn't play SACD
                                This is the first time I've responded to myself!

I just realized an error in my speculation: SACD playback would require an SACD capable pick-up laser. That would take more than a firmware update!

the hdtv av pack will be about another $50, plus once you have the hd av pack, you have to go out and buy more component cables for it.
                                Matt, I could be wrong but I think the HD A/V pack is the component cable. I thought it came with the adapter box thingie that plugs into the Xbox as well as the component cables to run between the box and your TV. Maybe not though.

-Sili
                                www.campmurphy.net

Comment

• Trevor Schell
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Aug 2000

Andrew,,Thats a really nice looking DVD player and for the price you can't really go wrong. The Sony has a smoother downconversion so you would not have to worry to much about artifacts.

I definately have plans on adding the X-box to my collection. Should be fun.

Trevor
                                  My HomeTheater S.E.
                                  Sonically Enhanced
                                  C5
                                  Trevor

XBOX 360 CARD

Comment

• Matt Broeska
                                    • Nov 2000

sorry to continue the xbox discussion, but here is a picture of the high def av pack from microsoft. it looks like the component video cables attach to it, but aren't included. but also, according to this story, ign says that monster is making it's own brand cables for the xbox and i'm assuming these will include the whole shabang.

Comment

• Kevin P
                                      • Aug 2000

I've become a fan of Sony DVD players. They seem to work well, and have been historically the most glitch free players on the market.

Since they've come out with a new line, I just looked on crutchfield.com and basically edjamacated myself on them. I wasn't familiar with the DVP-NS500V, or many of the other new players. Here's a quickie summary of them:

DVP-NS300B,DVP-NS300S: Entry level player ($200). Plays DVD, CD, CD-RW, but not CD-R.

DVP-NS400D ($230): Step up from the 300. Adds DD decoder and CD-R support.

DVP-NS500V ($300): Step up from the 400--adds DTS decoder, multichannel SACD support.

DVP-NS700P ($300): Like the 300 but adds progressive scan and CD-R support.

DVP-NS900V ($1000): Looks like a scaled back 9000ES, progressive scan, multichannel SACD, built in DTS/DD decoder, plays CD-R, CD-RW.

DVP-S570D ($350): Built in DD decoder. Probably last year's model.

DVP-S9000ES ($1500): Progressive scan, 2-channel SACD, 5 year warranty, built like a tank, excellent sound quality. Plays CD-RW but not CD-R.

If you're interested in getting into SACD, you can't beat $300 for the DVP-NS500V. However, I wonder if that unit has true DSD DACs or if it downconverts DSD to PCM. You need true DSD DACs to get the full benefit of SACD.

The 9000ES of course has the DSD DACs, and I'll bet the $1000 NS900V does too.

Do you think you'll get into a progressive-scan capable display within the next year or two? If so, a progressive player would be a wise choice.

KJP

Official Computer Geek and Techno-Wiz Guru of HTGuide - Visit Tower of Power
                                      My HT Site

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                        • Aug 2000

Kevin I doubt I'll be getting a progressive set anytime soon which is why the player above interests me...of course the Xbox looks like an interesting alternative as well

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                          • Aug 2000

so anyone have an idea when these new Sony's are coming out?

Comment

• Kevin P
                                            • Aug 2000

I know the 300 and 700 are out now, I don't know about the other ones though.

KJP

My HT Site

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                              Moderator Emeritus
                                              • Aug 2000

crutchfield says they are on back order? Anyway I heard back from the repair shop and it is the optics that went on my A320 so I'm not going to get it fixed but will buy a new one...and no it won't be a Panasonic

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                                Moderator Emeritus
                                                • Aug 2000

what about this JVC XV-SA70BK DVD-A player

JVC progressive scan DVD-A player

I'm a little leary of JVC players given their lack luster history so far (at least in DVD players) but it seems to have it all.

Of course I've always wanted a Sony 7700 too but its hard to find one for a reasonable price these days

Comment

• Kevin P
                                                  • Aug 2000

Ahh come on Andrew, I know you really want the 9000ES but just won't admit it! :B

If the DVP-NS500V isn't coming until October, why not just get the NS300B for now and then add a dedicated Sony ES SACD player later. You will probably get better CD/SACD performance that way.

KJP

My HT Site

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                                    • Aug 2000

well that didn't last long...still looking

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                                      • Aug 2000

Has anyone heard the Sony 500V yet? I got to hear a really nice Marantz SACD player last night and I was floored by its sweet warm sound. I've felt lately that my sound from my rig is a little on the bright side flipping back and forth b/t CD and SACD was impressive. Anyway I don't have room to add in another CD player so I figure my best route is to replace the DVD player with one that will also do SACD. Comments?

Comment

• Trevor Schell
                                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                                        • Aug 2000

Andrew,,I would give this unit a serious look as it is SACD compatible.

Sony DVP-NS900V

Trevor
                                                        My HomeTheater S.E.
                                                        Sonically Enhanced
                                                        C5
                                                        Trevor

XBOX 360 CARD

Comment

Working...
                                                        😀
                                                        😂
                                                        🥰
                                                        😘
                                                        🤢
                                                        😎
                                                        😞
                                                        😡
                                                        👍
                                                        👎
                                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                        Search Result for "|||"