CD player with better DAC's than my B&K 307?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chip
    • Aug 2001

CD player with better DAC's than my B&K 307?

I'm considering a new cd player. I'd like to know if anyone can recommend a 5 disc player that has better DAC's than my B&K 307 so i can possibly use some SilverCats.. I don't want to spend more than $800.00 on it (roughly). Anything new on the horizon? Maybe a SACD changer? Any thoughts would be appreciated...thanks..

- Chip

Chip Engle

"Concrete ain't a spectator sport"

<a href="http://www.htguide.com/bilder/index.cfm?fuseaction=arkivbilder&userid=0&selected userid=336" target="_blank">My HT
    Chip Engle

My HT
  • Trevor Schell
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

I could be wrong on this, but I always understood that the multidrawer players were not as good as a single drawer player.

My first thoughts would be to look into a single drawer solution as usually the quality of DAC's and build quality of the actual unit would be superior.

I listen to my CD's through my Toshiba SD-9200 DVD player using SilverCats and it sounds incredible plus gives me the flexiblilty to tweek the treble and bass.
    I use the DACs on the Denon 5800 when using pure direct mode in which the material does not require any fine tuning.

Maybe your current DVD player would do the job for you as mine did. However the SD-9200 does weigh 24 lbs so does provide an very capable transport.

Trevor
    My HomeTheater S.E.
    Sonically Enhanced
    C5
    Trevor

XBOX 360 CARD

Comment

• JonMarsh
      Mad Max Moderator
      • Aug 2000

Hi Chip,

There are some Sony SACD changers at reasonable price points; check out the 333 and C222, plus some new models coming out next month. Unfortunately, the new models aren't up on the US Sony web site, yet, though some retailers already list them.

The SCD-C222ES lists for about $799, the SCD-C333 for about $699, and the SCDCE775 for $349. A good place to check for good pricing is Oade Bros. in Georgia; they're authorized Sony, and I bought my SCD777ES from them.

The SACD players from Sony convert PCIM to DSD, then run it through their DSD (SACD) DAC. On some models, they support variable digital filters, including some with time correct response more like Wadia players and the "listen" mode of the BurrBrown 1738 DAC. For a "bargain hunter", I'd consider one of those.

Best regards,

Jon

Earth First!
      M8ta
      Modula Neo DCC
      Modula MT XE
      Modula Xtreme
      Isiris
      Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
      Minerva Monitor
      Calliope
      Ardent D

In Development...
      Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
      Obi-Wan
      Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
      Modula PWB
      Calliope CC Supreme
      Natalie P Ultra
      Natalie P Supreme
      Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
      Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Lex
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Apr 2001

Hey, I like the way this upgrade sounds.

Now, I am not the biggest 5 disc fan. I used to have one and it was ok, I just hated that dang clanking noise it made when changing discs. Plus it had no digital output. I sold it. I now have a 101 disc Optimus (built by Pioneer). 2 year old model. Not a bad changer, and actually quite attractive with gold buttons, bubble front, but I don't use it much. I think it's only optical out though.

I am convinced that one of the best CD players available in the lower price range is a used Sony S7000 DVD/CD player/transport. I use the DACs in my Sony with my Class CP-35, and the sound is wonderful.

Someday, I may look at SACD. When I can afford it. I may look at a Rega, or other exotic transport. But for now, I am quite happy with the S7000's performance.

Lex
        Doug
        "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Chip
          • Aug 2001

"I now have a 101 disc Optimus (built by Pioneer). 2 year old model. Not a bad changer, and actually quite attractive with gold buttons, bubble front, but I don't use it much."

I've got a Sony 333ES 400 disc mega changer and cazn't deal with it... I don't have time to configure it. I run optical out, it'
          s all it has.. I want a simpler solution and a dvd player, to me, ain't it. I'm looking for a 5 disc betty... I'd bet, soon enough, they'll be something that'll peak my interest...

- Chip

Chip Engle

<a href="http://www.htguide.com/bilder/index.cfm?fuseaction=arkivbilder&userid=0&selected userid=336" target="_blank">My HT
          Chip Engle

My HT

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Chip one alt. solution is to 1) buy an outboard DAC 2) get your pronto set up to control that mega changer. If you want to see what can be done (very easilly I might add) download and check out my pronto CCF from my website. I've got very easy touch panels to jump to any disc in my collection and with the external DAC it sounds fantastic.

Comment

• JonMarsh
              Mad Max Moderator
              • Aug 2000

The models I mentioned are all five disk changers.

Regards,

Jon

Earth First!
              M8ta
              Modula Neo DCC
              Modula MT XE
              Modula Xtreme
              Isiris
              Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
              Minerva Monitor
              Calliope
              Ardent D

In Development...
              Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
              Obi-Wan
              Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
              Modula PWB
              Calliope CC Supreme
              Natalie P Ultra
              Natalie P Supreme
              Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
              Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Chip
                • Aug 2001

The C222ES might just be the player i'm looking for... thanks..

- Chip

Chip Engle

Chip Engle

My HT

Comment

• Lex
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Apr 2001

Wow Chip, that's a heck of a megachanger! I do know what you mean. I would probably like mine more if it had an on screen display. My 301 disc DVD changer is very nice in that regard with it's on screen menu. I simply love my Elite mega-changer!

I may have to audition one of those SACDs down the road. Just not now.

Lex
                  Doug

Comment

• Chip
                    • Aug 2001

Lex, wanna 400 disc mega changer cheap??? LOL... It's just not for me. I shoulda kept the CA80ES i returned for the mega betty.. Actually, my 9K sounds pretty damn good with cd's..

- Chip

Chip Engle

Chip Engle

My HT

Comment

• Lex
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Apr 2001

Really Chip, I have turned even more into a single disc player kind of guy. But thanx for the offer. Besides, the budget won't allow anything additional for a while. CAT has soaked me pretty good the last 6 months for cash. lol It's a necessary thing though, if the business is to do well, it requires investment capital.

Lex
                      Doug

Comment

• Chip
                        • Aug 2001

Yea... i screwed up, shoulda kept that CA80ES 5 disc changer, it was real nice. Oh well! Live & learn..
                        Actually, i'm focusing some money elsewhere right now too.. I'm going Tuna fishing in two weeks and have my eye on a killer rod&reel from Penn. (gonna set me back about a G for the combo) Hope i catch fish!

- Chip

- Chip

Chip Engle

Chip Engle

My HT

Comment

• Lex
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Apr 2001

Geesh Chip, I could fix you up with a really nice silver outfit, lol. Silver spoons, silver line, and of course, a silver reel, I mean connector.

Sounds like fun though!

Lex
                          Doug

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"