X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

In Dash Theater, say what?

Say what? lol. Have you guys seen the Alpine in dash DVD player with electronically collapsable LCD screen? this this thing is so cool I would love to have it just for a 1.8K conversation piece. lol. I do hear Pioneer makes one that is much more reasonably priced.

Hmm, driving down the road watching 5th Element. But what happens when you try to dive straight down on the roads anyway.

No longer is waiting at RED lights, "waiting at redlights!

Lex

Cable Guy DVD Collection
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

I just love danger.

My Homepage!
    My Homepage!

Comment

• Markj
      • Aug 2000

Great something to give cell phones a run for its money as the leading cause of accidents.

Comment

• P-Dub
        Office Moderator
        • Aug 2000

I have not seen this unit, but I did notice at the recent autoshow that all the aftermarket booths were showing off indash dvd players and screens.

Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.
        Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.

Comment

• Robbie
          • Aug 2000

I guess the next thing will be full windshield projection Heads Up Display.

Who actually pays attention to driving anyway.

Robbie

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Robbie Cadilac already has something like that for their night time driving modes..pretty cool IMO

Comment

• AndrewM
              • Oct 2000

Well Mercedes has had a type of radar system hooked up to their cruise control for a few years now (just not coming to the states), Lexus I believe also has a similiar system.

Basically what happens is that you are on the highway and set the cruise at 70mph, now say you are going along and you are coming up to a slower car (say going 68mph), the radar in the car see's the slower car, and applies the brakes until the speed is matched and there is a safe distance between the cars. Once the slower car moves over, the cruise resumes it original 70mph speed. Of course there are some limitations here, for safety reasons the brakes will not be applied any more than 25% of their power, if an object is approching to fast, a warning beeper goes off to alert you to the possible danger (shouldn't you be watching the road anyways?).

I figure another 5 or so years and we'll see auto-drive systems like in the movie "The 6th Day".

Andrew

Comment

• Robbie
                • Aug 2000

Amdrew P,

Yea, but there's a difference between having your dash instuments in a HUD and playing "Debbie Does Dallas" up there if you know what I mean.

Robbie

Comment

• AndrewM
                  • Oct 2000

Robbie,

I believe Mr Pratt was talking about the night vision system Cadillac has installed. I belive it's a heat detection type device, and it throws the picture up onto the windshield. So you can actually see past your headlights for animals/people/cars in the road. Looks like an interesting device, I never used one though so I can't comment on how well it works.

Andrew

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"