X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

Dedicated HT Room

I'm curious how many of the members here have a dedicated home theater room.Fiften years ago I could see that my love for movies would see me moving beyond a 27" tv connected to my 2 ch amp. That's when I had a room finished in the basement. It first housed a 40" Panasonic RPTV, then I tried a Sharp LCD projector, but this was before LCD projectors advanced to what they are today. I was projecting onto a 100" screen and the LCD pixels were an eyesore. Then I went to a Zenith CRT front projector, and and a grand old time installing and converging this beast.Then about 26 months ago I added a Sony VPL400 LCD front projector to the room and changed the 100" screen to a 92" wide 16:9 screen. Now the Zenith crt and the Sony are the main viewing sources and they share the same screen. I have masking panels and use them with the Zenith for 4:3 veiwing. The 16:9 is reserved to widescreen only on the Sony.What's next ? Dunno.

My Homepage!
    My Homepage!
  • RickS
    Super Senior Member
    • Aug 2000

George,
    Well...I've got as close to a dedicated room as the wife will let me have!! We only use the room for movies and music listening, or if we have an overflow of guests they move to the basement HT. I also have a full 5.1 HT in a family room upstairs with a 35" direct view.

The room has gone through some changes since these pictures but, its a place to relax and watch movies.

Rick

The Home Theater
    DVD Collection

Comment

• Markj
      • Aug 2000

Here in Southern California we don’t have basements for dedicated HTs. Some houses have bonus rooms but usually they are in the same area as the bedrooms so playing moves after the kids go to sleep is problematic. For me, I don’t have a bonus room in my house so the family room has the HT equipment. I am dreaming of some day having a FPTV.

RickS that is very impressive HT.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

awe this is going to be a painful thread to watch for those of use still stuck in apartments

Comment

• RickS
          Super Senior Member
          • Aug 2000

Mark,
          Thanks for the kind words! My goal is one day to build a house from the ground up and budget around 100K for just the HT. But, that may take a few more years!!!!

Rick

The Home Theater
          DVD Collection

Comment

• Lex
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Apr 2001

Hmmm, how do we define dedicated? Let's see:

My great room is my theater room. No plants, check. No sewing machine, check. Electronics wall, check check. Speakers in every corner, some in the middle of the floor, check. Computer to keep track of HTG, check. Wires? A part of the decor, check.

Sure sounds dedicated to me! lol. Of course, if there's ever a Ms. Lex, I be in deep do do. lol. I suspect a room addition or move would be in my future.

Rick, really really sharp room. George, I think you got the projector market cornered, lol. :B

Lex

Cable Guy DVD Collection
            Doug
            "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• RickS
              Super Senior Member
              • Aug 2000

Lex,

This is more of what I'm thinking about, right down to the popcorn machine and snack bar!

Yup.........one day!!! :B

Rick

The Home Theater
              DVD Collection

Comment

• Crimson
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

Hmmmmmmm....I sort of have one. My home theater is in the family room, but I built a dedicated room for my 2-channel system (which my wife keeps asking me to 'upgrade' to a HT). But thats my preference: 2-channel over HT. Besides the equipment and dedicated circuits, it has a custom built loveseat, custom lighting, commercial and homemade accoustic treatments, painted a soothing blue. When people see it they go: 'Where's the TV?' and I just roll my eyes.

Q.
                Q.

Comment

• John Holmes
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

RickS,

Your current room is very nice! Your future room would have me jobless, homeless, wifeless for I would never leave it!!! :B

Andrew,

I feel your pain. For I did it for two yrs.

George,

Oneday when I grow up (I guess I mean past 50yrs of age) I'm going to have nice equipment like you grown-ups

Markj,

No basements here either

Lex,

No moderator would yield to a mortal woman!

I have a dedicated room (an extra room in the house). It is only for ht/my music but, I have not done anything special to it.

But having a dedicated room does have it's draw backs...Like when my wife tells me "Go to your room!" Oh the pain! :B

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
                  "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

John 2 years! ha I've been in apartments since I left home to go to university...that was in 1992

Comment

• Lex
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Apr 2001

Rick, I remember that theater. It's about 2 years old I believe at least. Where was that picture! Geesh, it's driving me nuts. Maybe a magazine cover, maybe over at DT, I can't recall.

Yeah, I can only dream. Oh sure I could go take a second mortgage out, but at this point, I choose the more casual theater by choice. Of course, my choice is to avoid the second mortgage or refinance as you will. lol.

Lex

Cable Guy DVD Collection
                      Doug
                      "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Bob
                        • Jul 2000

I also live in Southern Calif. where basements are almost non-existent. I solved this problem by building a "garage" that is seperate from our house. The moment I had the final inspection, the garage door was taken off, replaced by a heavy duel pane slider. With the addition of drapes layered with blackout and sound absorbing material, carpet, furniture, etc., it quickly went from garage to home theater.
                        I am presently remodeling it. It is becoming the room inside of a room concept using the Corian system. The corners will all be at a 45• angle and will hold bookshelves. I have been using bookshelves angled in the room for bass traps, now they will be built in. A similar design can be found at the P.S. Audio website.
                        Lex, I enjoyed the quick visit to Knoxville. Glad to see that the new speakers worked out for you. By the way, the concert was so awesome, I am going to go see Ani Difranco again when she comes to LA in July. I am working with John Frankenheimer on a Acura commercial right now, similar to the BMW one we did last year (you can see it at bmwfilm.com, I think). I'll see if he will autograph a Ronin poster.

Comment

• KennyG
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Sep 2000

I have a room that's dedicated to my HT system, and all my collectable stuff (dragons, die-cast cars, books) it's about to get a new darker-flatter coat of gray paint, and a slightly lighter gray ceiling. It's really to small (13.5X15) but for now it's just fine...someday...

Comment

• Robbie
                            • Aug 2000

Hmmmm, Lets see, dedicated.... Guess if I threw out the wife and cat, made the son stay in his room, Hmmmmmmmmm...

Robbie

Comment

• RickS
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Aug 2000

Bob,
                              Post some pics when you get a chance!! Sounds like a nice project you've done!

Lex,,

To see more pics of the HT above look here

Did you know we go way back to the DT days? Snowman? Changed the handle for reason unknown!!

Rick

The Home Theater
                              DVD Collection

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Jan 2001

Intresting replies,guys.By the way, RickS,keep on dreaming. That setup is worth waiting for.In the meantime, there's nothing wrong with you current arrangement.
                                John Holmes-
                                When you grow up(over 50) is just about the time you can really start to spend money on something other than the feeding,clothing and educating of kids.

My Homepage!
                                My Homepage!

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎
                                Searching...Please wait.
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                Search Result for "|||"