X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • John Holmes
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

I divided my room into perfect thirds.

I finally placed my speakers and listening position at the first and second thirds of my room. I did this once before but eye-balled it. This time it was done with exact measuring.

My end result...perfection! I cannot believe that I waited this long to do it right. Imaging is to die for. And my soundstage now has "true" depth! And no gaps in the soundstage in 5.1!

Now that I also have a better sub, my two channel has improved 2 fold. If you have the space to do this in your room, take the time and get it done.

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
    "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"
  • Wireless
    • Feb 2001

Have you conducted any measurements on bass response at these positions? Just curious as to how well it works on reducing standing waves. How far away from the side walls are you?

John
    My HT Picts
    John
    My HT Picts

Comment

• Wireless
      • Feb 2001

Have you conducted any measurements on bass response at these positions? Just curious as to how well it works on reducing standing waves. How far away from the side walls are you?

John
      My HT Picts
      John
      My HT Picts

Comment

• John Holmes
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

I have not done any measuring with my meter yet. The sound was so right to me that I didn't feel the need. I may do it though just for curiosty sake. :W

The tweeters are centered at 3.8ft from my side walls and 4.5 from the front wall. This puts my speakers 2.9ft in front of my TV. My sub is in the right front corner of the room, with just enough room that it does not touch either wall.

My rears are di/bi-poles and are positioned to the side of the listening postion 6ft up from the floor.

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
        "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• John Holmes
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

I am really suprised that noone else has tried this! And no opinions...shocking.

Comment

• Trevor Schell
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

This sounds interesting John as I have never tried this type of positioning before. My side surrounds are 5 1/2 feet up at the sides and could possibly be at the two thirds of the room. I would have to measure it to be sure.

What is the ideal location for a pair of rear centers?

Great topic!

Trevor
            My HomeTheater S.E.
            Sonically Enhanced
            C5
            Trevor

XBOX 360 CARD

Comment

• Lex
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Apr 2001

John, congrats on finding the perfect position for your speakers. Myself, I have to use the whole room for logic 7. Sounds interesting, and I can see where that allows the di-poles to open up a bit more perhaps.

Lex

Cable Guy DVD Collection
              Doug
              "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Trevor Schell
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

OK,,

I did some actual measurements. My room length is exactly 24 feet and 10 inches. Dividing the room into thirds gives me the following section distances.:

1) 8 feet 3 1/3"...first third(measured from front wall).
                2) 16 feet 6 2/3"...second third.
                3) 24 feet 10" .....last third. (back wall)

The front of my RPTV and center channel are 3 feet away from the front wall. This means that I would have to have my mains positioned 5 feet and 3 1/3" from the TV. Is this correct?,,

My seating area is 16 ft from the front wall. This is good, but I would need to move it back 6 2/3" inches.
                My Diploes are at 17 feet which would be about 4 inches to far back,,but here I have no choice as they are mounted on the side beam which can't be moved.

The two rear centers are at the rear wall as far back as possible..this would be the 24'10" location.

To achieve the required spacing it looks as if all I would need to do is move my mains 5 feet forward .However this would not be able to be a permanent location since they would be basically in the center of the family room.
                Did I make any errors in my calculations or is this the proposed prime locations for speaker placement?

Thanks,

Trevor
                My HomeTheater S.E.
                Sonically Enhanced
                C5
                Trevor

XBOX 360 CARD

Comment

• John Holmes
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

Hey Trevor, Lex,

First let me state that, I have read various articles (that includes the latest S&V mag) which has said that this is the "proper setup". As mentioned earlier, doing this the first time (guessing the distance) did not yield the results in my room that was achieved when I did it by the book so to speak.

Lex,

I fully understand what you are going for with Logic7. My AVP1a has the same basic function which I love by the way (but for Pro-logic only) which is why all the rave about PL2 kinda tickles me. I know that it now adds full range to the rears but, most applications will have the systems set to "small" anyway. Still the mechanics of the theory for the fronts and sides should apply I would think?

Trevor,

Your math looks dead on to me. Though I did not notice a width measurement. I don't think that the powers to be have a lot of info for 6.1. As they only state to ensure that the rear speakers (if monopoles) are at the same height as the sides and firing into the room. As for your dipoles, IMO as long as they are close to even with the listening postion, I think it will work. I say this because of the simulating several speaker effect they do.

My wife walked in the room afterwards and said: You like this? I sat her down to listen to some Dave Koz she said " We are there!" Yes the speakers do seem very forward in the room and quite close to the listening postion. But, it sounds so good!!!

I know that this type speaker positioning may not be feasible in most rooms. I am lucky that my ht room is dedicated to that function only. But for those of you that can try it, you maybe very happy that you did. If it does not sound any better to you than you initial positions, it only costed a little time!

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

so this means that your TV and speakers are well out from the rear wall correct?

Comment

• John Holmes
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2000

Andrew,

No. It means that my mains are well out into the room. My tv is against the wall. My cc speaker is still on top of the tv because, I do not have a stand for it yet. I will build one this week. The cc is 20" from the front wall now, but as I stated that will change in a few days.

Comment

• Wireless
                        • Feb 2001

What I have read and experienced over the years is that this positioning really shows the primary benefits in bass/room response reducing the number and strength of room nodes. In other words frequency response through the bass range becomes flatter.

But I also find that imaging really improves when you get those boxes, planars, ribbons away from the walls!

I personally couldn't use this arrangement because my room is way too small, so my system is set up on the diagonal.

John
                        My HT Picts
                        John
                        My HT Picts

Comment

• John Holmes
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2000

Hey Wireless,

You are correct! That is exactly what happens. And what it has done for my room is soooo good it's scary. I felt compelled to tell others that can do it, to do it.

Maybe I am just easy to impress with cheap/free tweeks I know that the imaging, tone and Depth in my soundstage now, is nothing short of fantastic.

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"