X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • maseline_98
    • Apr 2005

Cheap speakers???

I was looking for a cheap pair of speakers to be run in my den(nothing really over $150). I saw a pair of Polk R50's for about that or a pair of R150's for ~$50. Any suggestions. I just need something in there for when I play ping pong(and/or beer pong).

Sony kds-60a2000\Panasonic BD-55k\XBOX 360 Premium(20gig)Slingbox\Xbox(flashed) running XBMC
    Emotiva UMC-1\Emotiva XPA-5\Klipsch (2)RF-7s with DeanG xover upgrade, RC-7 with DeanG xover upgrade, (2)RS-7s\SVS 20-39PC+

• Jul 2004

Why don't you just swing by the local Best Buy and check out the Insignia speakers.

I've personally not heard them, but it seems they are popular on forums as a good bang-for-buck speakers.
    There are some things which are impossible to know, but it is impossible to know which things these are. :scratchhead:

----JAFFE'S PRECEPT

Comment

• riceaterslc
      • Aug 2006

Originally posted by whoaru99
      Why don't you just swing by the local Best Buy and check out the Insignia speakers.

I've personally not heard them, but it seems they are popular on forums as a good bang-for-buck speakers.
      i have a pair, and for the money, they sound damn good. using outlaw M2200 to power them.
      chris

Comment

• gd
        • Jan 2003

CSW... very decent, bang-for-the-buck speakers:

greg (gd to you)
        Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring
        production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid.

Frank Zappa

Comment

• maseline_98
          • Apr 2005

So...do you think these http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1138085354138 insignias are better than the polk r150s: http://shop1.outpost.com/product/4965491#detailed

I haven't heard either of them, but it seems that the insignia has better specs.

I'll probably end up getting 2 pairs of them and running then from my HK AVS630(which I got open boxed at CC for $130 )

Sony kds-60a2000\Panasonic BD-55k\XBOX 360 Premium(20gig)Slingbox\Xbox(flashed) running XBMC
          Emotiva UMC-1\Emotiva XPA-5\Klipsch (2)RF-7s with DeanG xover upgrade, RC-7 with DeanG xover upgrade, (2)RS-7s\SVS 20-39PC+

Comment

• riceaterslc
            • Aug 2006

i personally haven't heard the polks, but the insignia's compared to my phase technology 3T's sound nearly if not just as good. no one has both sets on display for "audition"?
            chris

Comment

• maseline_98
              • Apr 2005

That is kinda hard to believe that insignia's would sound anything close to any phase tech speaker. I think I'm going to go with them.

Comment

• riceaterslc
                • Aug 2006

Originally posted by maseline_98
                That is kinda hard to believe that insignia's would sound anything close to any phase tech speaker. I think I'm going to go with them.
                i know, i was shocked too when i fired them up for the first time. my phase techs are 10 years old, however, so that may have something to do with it. hope you like the insignia's.
                chris

Comment

• r100gs
                  • May 2005

The Polk R50's are a lot of bang for the buck.
                  Jay

Comment

• chinets
                    • Jun 2005

How about CANTON ?????????????

Comment

• maseline_98
                      • Apr 2005

Well....I went with the 2 pairs Insignia NS-B2111. I must say how surprised I am how how well they sound. I've only hooked up the one pair so far, but I was amazed how well they fill the room. They sound much larger and much more expenisve then they are. Of course they don't have that bass-pounding effect, but they were only $50/pair so you can't really expect that for a inexpensive bookshelf speaker. I can't wait to get all four of them hooked up and see what it sounds like.

One last question, my g/f bought me a Monster HTS950 power supply, but I think I'm going to take it back and get a cheap stereo receiver(maybe thinking of the Sherwood RX-4105 for $103. Any ideas? She bought it CC for ~$150. I would go higher for a better product though.

Thanks for all your info and Merry Xmas!

Comment

• David Meek
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2000

Sean, I'd stay with the power supply/surge protector. That's a good piece of insurance for your equipment (surge protection) and also can give you a better sound/picture via the built-in filtering - especially if your power is "dirty".

Save up the pennies for a while, then upgrade your receiver.

P.S. Congratulations on the speakers! :T

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• maseline_98
                          • Apr 2005

Oh....as far as the power supply goes.....i already have the Monster HTS2000 and the HT700 so I'm not really worried about that....I don't think she knew I bought them though...

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"