Clear All
  • migliore
    • Nov 2000

Power cables, what are your thoughts?

Please put yourself in one of three categories:

a) never tried after market power cables

b) tried them but didn't make a difference

c) tried them and did make a difference

If you tried some, which cables and what is/was your system?

I've tried Harmonic Tech Pro AC-11, Synergistic Research A/C Master Coupler, and Perfect Cable 312.

My system is EAD Ovation/PM2000 with AE520 speakers and a Rega Planet transport. I mostly tried the power cables on the pre-amp.

I found the SRACMC to carry the most heft and bass. The HT was a slight bit wider in the soundstage. And the PC312 was similar to the SRACMC with a higher noise floor and slightly narrower soundstage.

Rob

PS: The formal reviews are on my website.

Reviews and System
    Reviews and System
  • KennyG
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Sep 2000

A) Never tried them...I've always been to busy upgrading components or interconnects to justify spending 2 or 3 hundred in that area.

Comment

• John Holmes
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Cat: A.

I'm not quite where you are equipment wise so, I have yet to try one. However, it is something that I plan to try when I move into sperates.

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
      "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

haven't tried them...mostly b/c I'm too busy upgrading the rest of the gear to the point where power cords will make a difference

Comment

• migliore
          • Nov 2000

Consider picking up a used power cable from audiogon, priced from about $120-160. Try it on your CD player or pre-amp. If you don't like it, turn around and sell if for the same $$.

Or if that's too risky, you can get trials from Bob@audionut or some other cable companies. If you don't like 'em, send 'em back.

You've nothing to lose other than $5 in shipping..

Rob

Reviews and System
          Reviews and System

Comment

• Markj
            • Aug 2000

I am in the b category. The Salesperson mentioned all of the great things that a power cord would do for my amp. I needed a new power cord because I lost one when moving into your new house. I still have it but only because I could not find the original cord.

Comment

• Lexman
              Super Senior Member
              • Jun 2000

CATCables might be doing some things on this line later on, but not yet. Additionally, I would not do power cords unless I am incorporated and each one is certified as being assembled by a licensed electrician. It's the only way I would mess with power cables. Anybody that isn't this cautious manufacturing isn't using very good judgement.

But to answer the question, no I have not tried them as yet- Would I sell something I don't believe in myself? Probably, lol. Who am I to tell people what they should or shouldn't think makes a difference in their system? That's not my job. My job is just to show them the best products I can for the best value I can.

I am perrsonally curious, but like the other guys, when I was spending on my gear, always to caught up in hardware or RCA/speaker cables to spend the bucks.

Lex

Comment

• JohanK
                • Aug 2000

I use homemade power cords made out of ordinary 12/3 wiring using Volex connectors. They did make a small difference when used on power amps (Bryston 3B-ST and Rotel RB-985II) but they do look better than the OEM units. I have yet to try it on a preamp and source component.

Using a dedicated circuit made a larger difference in my setup and I think that such an upgrade is a better place to start. YMMV.

Comment

• KennyG
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Sep 2000

Actually I love to try some.
                  At this time, my problem is my room, it's too small, I've got an 8 foot screen behind my speakers (will have heavy drapes up soon...I hope), my speakers aren't far enough away from the walls, and they're way to big for the room size/ seating distance. So at this time I'm not sure I could hear a difference.
                  I'd probably do better with my smaller system's dynaudio speakers in place of the big system's legacy's..Kenny

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"