X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fla Ann
    • Oct 2006

dialog normalization

Help!

I have a Pioneer Audeo/video receiver. In the display box I get a message that reads "dial norm" then a puls or minus #. What should I adjust to correct this?

Thanks
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Hi Ann, welcome to the Guide. :welcome:

I'm not sure that you need to do anything. That could just be the setting that is being displayed.

Dialog Normalization is a setting that sets the volume of dialog relative to the rest of the soundtrack. If you have trouble hearing the dialog while lots of action is going on you can increase the dialnorm level and this should increase the dialog volume relative to the other sounds you are hearing, and vice-versa.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• whoaru99
      • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Fla Ann
      Help!

I have a Pioneer Audeo/video receiver. In the display box I get a message that reads "dial norm" then a puls or minus #. What should I adjust to correct this?

Thanks
      AFAIK, there is nothing to adjust. This is a code placed into some DVDs that weren't recorded/mastered at the standard Dolby level. This code automatically causes the levels of your processor to be raised or lowered by the amount shown to correct for the non-standard level.

If you would like to read more about it, here is a link for you.
      There are some things which are impossible to know, but it is impossible to know which things these are. :scratchhead:

----JAFFE'S PRECEPT

Comment

• John Holmes
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Welcome to the Guide Ann!

The other gentlemen have covered the answer pretty well. I'll just add that, I too have a Pioneer. And as stated above, it will display that "Dialog Normalization" is taking place but, no action is required by the user. It is all done for you automactically by the unit. So sit back and enjoy!
        "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"