X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • spyboy
    • Jun 2005

Help Please Easy Question (for you)

I have 2 different kinds of speaker wire with different markings for polarity. How do I know when I run the differently marked wires from my power amp to my speakers that they are in-phase?

Thanks in Advance
  • dyazdani
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Oct 2005

It doesn't matter what the markings are as long as the (+) on the amp goes to the (+) on the speaker for each channel. I'm assuming your 2 sets of wires are one for the left and one for the right?
    Danish

Comment

• spyboy
      • Jun 2005

Yes, the 2 lengths of wire are for left and right. They have different types of ridges to indicate polarity. So, are you saying that as long as I use the side of the wire with the raised ridges as the Positive on the amp and the speakers, they will be in-phase?

Thanks

Comment

• dyazdani
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Oct 2005

Yes, as long as the wire with the ridges connects the same polarity on the amp and the speaker, you will be fine.
        Danish

Comment

• dyazdani
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Oct 2005

BTW, you can usually tell when the speakers are out of phase as your imaging will be messed up. i.e. no defined center image, etc.
          Danish

Comment

• theMaximus
            • Jul 2004

That is correct. Most wires have markings on the positive (+) side. As long as positive sides both wires go to the positive posts of the speakers, you will be fine.

It is genereally recommended that you use the same speaker wires for both sides and similar in length regardless of the distance between the speakers and the amp. For example, even if one speaker is a lot closer to the amp than the other, use the same length cables for both speakers. This is just a rule of thumb.
            Victory Shall Be Mine!!! :heh:

Comment

• dyazdani
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Oct 2005

Yes, ideally you'd use identical cables - identical in both type (brand, model, etc) and length.

I have seen (and done myself) double bi-wire configurations with different types of cable for HF vs. LF posts. Not to cofuse this issue though...
              Danish

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"