X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Blu-Ray being released

Well, I think we're inside a month away from Blu-Ray being released. I was just surfing at Amazon, and saw that they're having an interesting promotion, where you can get 10% off Blu-Ray for the next year. Note the wording that they use on getting "high-def" DVD's on sale for a year.

Special Blu-ray Disc Offer: Save an additional 10% on all of your Blu-ray Disc purchases for the next year. Purchase three Blu-ray Discs right now, and you'll automatically qualify to receive an additional 10% off all of your high-definition DVD purchases for one year. To receive a 10% discount on your three Blu-ray Discs upon checkout, use this claim code: HDDISC10.
    The format war is about to begin... I'm not sure if HD-DVD's release early is going to give them any sort of leg up, really. I'm not really envisioning somebody who bought HD-DVD being the kind of person to say, "well, I've already got one format, and don't need another, it doesn't matter which one I have."

I wonder what the deciding factor is going to be in this war. Which stores carry which formats of discs, the quality of the players, the tech specs of the formats themselves, the variety of the movies, particular popular movies in one format, or PS3 vs XBox 360?
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

On that note, I see that Terminator 2 is one of the movies being released on Blu-Ray next month. I remember when I bought the "Ultimate Edition" of T2, thinking that it would be the last version of the movie I would ever buy. But then came the Extreme Edition with WMVHD, and now Blu-Ray. There will probably be a Blu-Ray "Penultimate" edition next year... :roll:

Same thing with Fifth Element, coming out on Blu-Ray. Sheesh.
    CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• ThomasW
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

NEXT YEAR?

My calender says the first week in June, what's this next year stuff?

Oh wait, maybe it's the beginning of their fisical year and that starts the first of July.....????...... :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Chris D
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Dec 2000

Next year? Oh, I think you're referring to the sales promo. I suspect they're talking about you being able to save 10% on high-def DVD's for the next 365 days from today if you take their offer.
        CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Lex
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Apr 2001

my calander says I'm not buying a d@mn thing until they get their act together and offer us ONE format. I'll continue to upconvert to HD 1080i or 720p, my lowly standard DVDs. My other answer is, I'll buy the least amount of DVDs possible as well, only the ones I absolutely must have, until there's resolution of this format war.
          Doug
          "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Azeke
            Super Senior Member
            • Mar 2003

I concur, I will continue to upconvert DVD's until a standard is established. I spent good money a couple of years ago for my Pioneer Elite 59AVI DVD player. This is reminiscent of the Sony Beta vs VHS war. I again will wait until the dust settles.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jan 2001

Even though I have been saying all along that I was going to wait this one out, I wondered if I'd still feel that way once the HD Dvd players and some software was released, well maybe it's my age, but honestly, I am not a bit excited. Maybe things will change with my thinking when the dust settles...
              My Homepage!

Comment

• Andrew M Ward
                • Apr 2005

For some reason I'm a tad-bit more interested in Blu-ray machines and discs... It seems like a "new format" where HD-DVD does not seem new at all...

Neither has me captivated

Several re-sellers claim they will set the Blu-ray machines right next to the HD-DVD machines on the retail floor and let the consumer pick for themselves...

:rofl:

Comment

• gostan
                  • May 2003

Many of us made the same statements until we watched a few HDDVD demos or HD movies. This past Saturday evening I watched U-571 on my Tosh HD-XA-1, and if you were there to see the sweat on the sailors faces almost dropping off of my monitor at 200 meters under water and to listen to depth charges and the like dropping all over and around the submarine with the DD+ soundtrack, you would have been extremely happy that you did not wait the year or two or more that it will take for the two formats to become one.

By the way, many have commented that the initial Sony BD movie release schedule is geared toward the younger PS3 purchasers,while the HDDVD movie release schedule (while fairly thin) appear to be geared to a wider audience.
                  Stan

Comment

• aud19
                    Twin Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2003

Originally posted by George Bellefontaine
                    Even though I have been saying all along that I was going to wait this one out, I wondered if I'd still feel that way once the HD Dvd players and some software was released, well maybe it's my age, but honestly, I am not a bit excited. Maybe things will change with my thinking when the dust settles...
                    It's not your age George, I'm in the same boat paddling right along with ya
                    Jason

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Jan 2001

Originally posted by gostan
                      Many of us made the same statements until we watched a few HDDVD demos or HD movies.
                      Naw, I've already seen the demos, albeit on a 60" plasma that looked okay but not much better than standard dvd on my NEC HT1000 on a 92 " screen. I'm sure HD Dvd would look much better in my own HT than on that plasma but I'm am still not excited enough to bite. I will wait it out like many others here.
                      My Homepage!

Comment

• JonMarsh
                        Mad Max Moderator
                        • Aug 2000

Everyone has to vote their conscience and beliefs with their wallet.

Now, darn, I almost wish I hadn't just gotten a new SACD player, gonna have to save my pennies!
                        the AudioWorx
                        Natalie P
                        M8ta
                        Modula Neo DCC
                        Modula MT XE
                        Modula Xtreme
                        Isiris
                        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                        Minerva Monitor
                        Calliope
                        Ardent D

In Development...
                        Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                        Obi-Wan
                        Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                        Modula PWB
                        Calliope CC Supreme
                        Natalie P Ultra
                        Natalie P Supreme
                        Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                        Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Lex
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Apr 2001

Stan, I am happy for people that do get excited, the industry needs some people out front. But with a daughter in college and absorbing a lot of expenses, I just can't be out on the bleeding edge this time. However, with my DVD-HD1000 upconverting DVD player, I am not compromising very much at all, I really believe that. I mean I've seen HDTV, I've had HDTV, and my upconverted images are very close in quality.

So, whereas for someone coming from say an interlaced non progressive set to HD? Oh yeah, we are talking miles and miles of upgrade. In comparison for me, it's like shifting from 5th to 6th gear. It's just not a really powerful gear, the impact is only noticed in a gradual improvement.

Frankly, for something as important as this is, I really believe the Industry shot themselves in the foot big time on this one. I firmly believe if they had to lock the powers to be in a room and not open the door until there was agreement early on, then that is what should have happened. This dual format thing is just rediculous for something as significant as DVD.

I mean it's not even like video game consoles where I can get Need for Speed on both consoles eventually, and only some games don't cross over. With movies, it will be every other movie perhaps, HD, blue ray, HD blue ray. Who has room in their systems for both players? connectivity options? Not everyone.
                          Doug

Comment

• gostan
                            • May 2003

Originally posted by Lex
                            HD, blue ray, HD blue ray. Who has room in their systems for both players? connectivity options? Not everyone.
                            My wife just asked me yesterday why I need so many DVD players. She doesn't understand why with so many dvd players that she can't have the Denon 2900 for herself yet. And I have not even told her about Blu Ray yet :twisted:
                            Stan

Comment

• Lex
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Apr 2001

Well, I already have 3 in my rack, 2 changers, a single and a CD player in addition. I truly am out of room in my rack, unless I displace one of my changers which in short are a file system now. If I do that, then I have to start getting out cases to store DVDs in again, which introduces another problem. Case storage.
                              Doug

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                Mad Max Moderator
                                • Aug 2000

C'mon, guys, what is this, the Whine and Cheez club? :rofl:

Suck it up and let's go out and stimulate the economy!! At least the first generation or two of these players won't be made in Red China!!!!

(In case anyone's forgetting, it still IS Red China!!!).

Hey, I've got five HD-DVD movies and I don't even have a player yet!!!

Get with the program!! :B :W
                                the AudioWorx
                                Natalie P
                                M8ta
                                Modula Neo DCC
                                Modula MT XE
                                Modula Xtreme
                                Isiris
                                Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                Minerva Monitor
                                Calliope
                                Ardent D

In Development...
                                Obi-Wan
                                Modula PWB
                                Calliope CC Supreme
                                Natalie P Ultra
                                Natalie P Supreme
                                Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• P-Dub
                                  Office Moderator
                                  • Aug 2000

Frankly, for something as important as this is, I really believe the Industry shot themselves in the foot big time on this one. I firmly believe if they had to lock the powers to be in a room and not open the door until there was agreement early on, then that is what should have happened. This dual format thing is just rediculous for something as significant as DVD.
                                  Lex has pretty much echoed my thoughts. I can't believe that it came to this, two competing formats. I wonder what thier projections are for sales, etc.

I think I saw this in another thread, but at what screen size will HD or BR will the average consumer see a difference. 42", 50", 60"? What's the average size of TVs installed? I'm sure the size of current sets that are being purchased are larger than before, I'd be guessing in the 37" to 42" range, if not bigger.

I have an older 50" RPTV with a cheap progressive scan DVD player and I love the picture quality that I am currently getting. I'd like to see how much better a HD or BR picture is, but I'm not going to be taking the plung to find out personally at home. I'll have to check it out at a store. I've seen a demo, but it was with some kind of demo material, so I would rate it as suspect as it just showed a split screen image of HD vs standard definition.

WRT to sound quality, I think that is a non issue with the average consumer. They have enough trouble wiring up a complete 5.1 system, optical or coax, component, DVI or HDMI, and even if they get the system wired up, how many will actually properly calibrate?

I think HD and BR will be reserved for the top tier of the market for a while. I'd say Sony is pricing accordinly, while HD is trying to break into the mass market with thier lower price points. What will be interesting is the introduction of the PS3, as that will include a BR player with the console.

IF I was to purchase anything, I'd be looking at the PS3.

Those are all IMHO.
                                  Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                    Mad Max Moderator
                                    • Aug 2000

On an old HD CRT RPTV you'll see more picture quality than you might expect, because you wont' be doing scan conversion to some other resoultion and wiping out half the picture quality in the process.

ED and SD plasma's are SO not the way to go for HD! Most don't really reproduce DVD properly (full video bandwidth to 6 MHz or 600 lines)

Just try them with a VE or AVIA test disk.
                                    the AudioWorx
                                    Natalie P
                                    M8ta
                                    Modula Neo DCC
                                    Modula MT XE
                                    Modula Xtreme
                                    Isiris
                                    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                    Minerva Monitor
                                    Calliope
                                    Ardent D

In Development...
                                    Obi-Wan
                                    Modula PWB
                                    Calliope CC Supreme
                                    Natalie P Ultra
                                    Natalie P Supreme
                                    Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Andrew M Ward
                                      • Apr 2005

My only real problem with this whole mess is the media (disc prices)

I don't mind the player being whatever it costs; I just hate paying more than $15 bucks for a movie... hence my love of the standard DVD format...

All the latest movies and classics...
                                      Music DVD concert performances
                                      The DVD box-set of "The life of birds"
                                      The DVD box-set of "The life of mammals"

I could go on-and-on

All are pretty cheap and extremely available... When I see these coming out on Blu-Ray or HD-DVD I’ll start to get interested.

For me it's all about the media
                                      Just my 2 cents

Comment

• EAmin
                                        • Aug 2004

I saw the Blu-Ray demo that Sony did at HE2006 --- it is very nice. Movies like Chicken Little look AMAZING on the Sony Ruby projector they had. Equally as impressive on the Bravia sets they had on display. I believe everything will be released using Uncompressed PCM audio layer, which sounds good, but I would rather wait for the High definition audio formats to be released. I would hate to buy a BR disc, then have to buy it again for the HD.

Comment

• Lex
                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                          • Apr 2001

Yeah, but how often you gonna wanna watch Chicken Little? Heck, I bought the movie and watched it once so far. Funny yeah, but I'm just not a real repeater on some things, and frankly, I've rethought my entire buying philosophy. It's not come to renting yet, but... I buy less, I watch less today. For me it's partly a time thing, just not enough of it right now. So, I watch maybe a couple of movies a week if I am lucky, and squeeze in a few sit coms. that's pretty much it for me. So, while I can appreciate Jon's interest in stimulating the economy. (I wish a few more would by buying new cables). But I'm still not keen on owning more boat anchors. I have enough boat anchors already, and no boat.
                                          Doug

Comment

• gianni
                                            • Nov 2002

Originally posted by Lex
                                            my calander says I'm not buying a d@mn thing until they get their act together and offer us ONE format. I'll continue to upconvert to HD 1080i or 720p, my lowly standard DVDs. My other answer is, I'll buy the least amount of DVDs possible as well, only the ones I absolutely must have, until there's resolution of this format war.
                                            My thoughts exactly. Seems to be a common stance.

Comment

• dbphd
                                              • May 2006

The Blue-Ray demo on the 70" SXRD RP at HE2006 in LA was amazing. Made me want to buy, but I plan to wait till things settle, and Blue-Ray players include SACD.

db

Comment

• Andrew M Ward
                                                • Apr 2005

Originally posted by dbphd
                                                The Blue-Ray demo on the 70" SXRD RP at HE2006 in LA was amazing. Made me want to buy, but I plan to wait till things settle, and Blue-Ray players include SACD.

db
                                                except it was from a hard drive, not a disc and transport (cheating) so I am cautious as to the real delivery ... when I see a regular guy drop a blu-ray disc in a tray loaded mech and hit play, then i'll pay attention...

I do believe Blu- is the answer but I'm sad to see the delays...and bull shznit

Comment

Working...
                                                Searching...Please wait.
                                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                Search Result for "|||"