X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • audioqueso
    Super Senior Member
    • Nov 2004

DVD player peaking when in analog - help

I have my Pioneer connected to my Marantz with a digitcal coax cable and analog pair. Movie or music, playing through the digital coax the Marantz controls the decoding so it never peaks. I like using the analog connection cause the coax sounds a little thin, but if I turn it moderately high, my receiver indicates that it's peaking.

Good? Bad? Any ideas?
    B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720
  • brendon
    • Aug 2004

Hi Audioqueso if your Sr6400 is like my SR7500 you should be able to find a button on your remote marked ATT ( attenuate ) which lowers the input level on your analog input which gets rid of the peak problem.
    Brendon

Comment

• audioqueso
      Super Senior Member
      • Nov 2004

Attenuate is meant to lower the analog levels to a bare minimum. I don't want that.

Comment

• bleeding ears
        • Nov 2004

I have seen this peak light problem occurr on a few marantz receivers,
        and I too have this occurr with my Marantz SR 8200 and Rotel 965 cd player in analogue only. It also happens with my onkyo DVS 555 DVD player in analogue only.

I know of one case where a friend changed their player (cd player) and it totally eliminated the problem with the peak light appearing.

This must mean that the input signal strength from the player to the receiver is causing the peak light to appear. I think the actual volume knob has little influence on this, I think it is more the way the dvd or cd player is made or designed to perform that causes it.

Perhaps reading the specs on the input/output signal volume on your dvd player and comparing it with the specs of other players will confirm this.
        I think there must be a difference as the player that stopped the problem played quieter.

Anyhow the player that fixed the problem was an older model NAD cd player.

Also try different discs, some are recorded louder than others and cause the peak light to come on more often.

I dont know why Marantz have this peak light appearing a lot whereas other receivers dont even have a peak light.

I would be interested to learn more about this myself, but after enquiries with Marantz no solution was given, other than to hit the attenuate switch.
        This degraded the sound quality considerably, so I just forget about the peak light and hope that no damage occurrs to my speakers.

Good luck finding info on this, no one seems to know how to fix it.

I think that Marantz must get overwhealmed with complaints about this peak light coming on but they must consider it important enough to keep it.

I dont know why or how other brand receivers addresss this issue.

Hope this is of help
        Peter

Comment

• jim777
          • Mar 2005

I've already heard that line levels doubled some time after they started making CD players so that would explain why a older player did the trick (is it a old receiver?).

Comment

• audioqueso
            Super Senior Member
            • Nov 2004

Well, I have my DVD player with analog and digital connections. The Marantz must have a slightly more sensitive input than other receivers. With songs that peak a lot, there is a noticeable difference in SQ when using digital to analog. In a lot of cases, the analog connection sounded better... until it started to peak, and then the digital difference was more pleasing. Even if I use Marantz' 'direct-source' option (which is a digital input), it still peaks with certain CDs.

Comment

• bleeding ears
              • Nov 2004

I suspect that the line signal volume coming from the dvd player or cd player may be intentionaly raised by the manufacturers in more modern (say last 10 years or so) players in order to give the perception of better sound, which may not necessarily be true.

Apparently raising the volume levels in the recording process is common these days for the same reasons.

Eg When auditioning two dvd players (or cd players)the louder player will give the impression of better sound, even though all the other equipment may be the same.

Apparently a trap for those unaware, and a ploy probably used in audio shops to sell equipment, speakers, cd players etc etc.

Also with cds or dvds that cause the peak light to appear you may find that you dont have to turn the volume knob up so loud compared to other discs because they are recorded louder.

I am not an electronics guy so I could have it all wrong but thats my best guess on whats happening with these peak lights appearing.

Surely there must be someone out there with some knowledge or expertise in this area, perhaps an electronics technician ?

Come on all you audio nuts out there, give us an explanation?

thanks Peter

Comment

• audioqueso
                Super Senior Member
                • Nov 2004

My job is system engineering. I am an electronic technician, but I don't know why. lol

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"