X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jesper
    • Sep 2018

Replacement for Winamp and drivers?

Hi, I'm a newcomer to all this and your forum.

My setup is:
    Laptop Lenovo P51 Windows 10 Pro with external USB 3 WD My Book 6 TB HDD, connected with Audioquest Carbon cable.
    My Laptop is connected to my new NAD M51 via Audioquest Carbon cable.
    My NAD M51 is connected to my NAD C375BEE amp via Audioquest Mackenzie RCA cable.
    My NAD C375BEE amp is connected to 1 pair of DALI Rubicon 6 and to 1 pair of DALI Rubicon 8 (2 rooms ensuite).
    I have for 4 years used NAD Wireless DAC 2 with no problems and Winamp 5.666 Pro (it is easy to get used to and I love the dark skins).
    I listen to FLAC 16-44 and a few 24-96 (I can’t really hear any difference!?)
    Now my NAD Wireless DAC 2 is broken and I have just got my self a NAD M51.

My questions:
    1. Is there other good software that can make my music sound better? I have heard about Foobar2000, but I’m scared of how I get an awesome skin, I hate the default layout.
    Of course, the sound is the most important, but I would love a skin/theme like the one I can find on the internet (see attached Images).

2. I love the warm soft sound from my NAD C375BEE amp. Do you recommend that I don’t use the preamp in NAD M51 and just fix the volume on M51?

3. Do I need extra drivers besides NADUSBAudio_v4.13.0_2017-09-04_setup.exe?
    I have heard about ASIO4ALL_2_14_English.exe, what is this?

A lot of questions, I’m sorry, but I’m just an ignorant beginner, 62 years old, but don’t think it is too late ��.
    I do appreciate all your inputs.
    Best regards Jesper, Copenhagen, Denmark
    Attached Files
  • wkhanna
    Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

hi, Jesper!!!

welcome to the forum.

1. i have been using foobar for many years.... very happy with it.
      there are lots of skins available for free...

2. use it the way that sounds best to you.

3. sorry, i can not help with #3

PS... i am 60 and it is never too late!!!!
    _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
    ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Alaric
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Jan 2006

Of all the media players I've tried, the one I hate the most actually sounds the best-in my rig to me. Big qualifier there, but I like the way Windows Media Player sounds. I've only got 61 GB of music files, but WMP has always ended up giving me (IMO, as always) the best sound. Now that's with lossless WMA files for the most part, and a few FLAC files. I'm hoping to get some Schiit soon (Modi 2 Uber) for my shiny new Sennheiser cans so it all may change.
      Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
      Marantz PM-KI Pearl
      Schiit Modi 3
      Marantz CD5005
      Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• BobEllis
        Super Senior Member
        • Dec 2005

ASIO4ALL is a driver that allows programs that require an ASIO device to talk to a non ASIO device. Not needed for your M51, but some players may require it.

I like the sound of JRiver media player, both directly and pushing to an Oppo BDP-103 feeding a Cambridge 851D.

There may be some degradation using the internal volume control on your M51 because it’s done in the digital domain. Try it fixed volume/separate preamp and use it as a preamp, see if you can hear a difference. It **may** not be perfect, but Renron is very happy using his as a preamp driving his Wavecor Ardents.

Also 60, still learning.

Comment

• wkhanna
          Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2006

Originally posted by BobEllis
          ASIO4ALL is a driver that allows programs that require an ASIO device to talk to a non ASIO device. Not needed for your M51, but some players may require it.

I like the sound of JRiver media player, both directly and pushing to an Oppo BDP-103 feeding a Cambridge 851D.

There may be some degradation using the internal volume control on your M51 because it’s done in the digital domain. Try it fixed volume/separate preamp and use it as a preamp, see if you can hear a difference. It **may** not be perfect, but Renron is very happy using his as a preamp driving his Wavecor Ardents.

Also 60, still learning.
          the JRiver might be a good option for the OP...:T
          _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
          ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"