X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TEK
    Super Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

Tidal Master/MQA

Today I started up Tidal for a usual evening listening session before dragging my self into bed.
    And there it was...

Click image for larger version

Name:	tidal master.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	872122

First impression is that songs in master quality has a significant "softer" sound. Silk

Details here...
    -TEK

Many of the great achievements of the world were accomplished by tired and discouraged men who kept on working...
  • twochannel
    • Jan 2017

It is indeed very good, limited selection as yet but no doubt that will change with time. According to my DAC we are getting 192K

Comment

• BobEllis
      Super Senior Member
      • Dec 2005

So it sounds like the web interface converts MQA to hi res bitstream? Not that I'm interested in buying a DAC that accepts MQA but I suppose that the reason it's only available on the web is that other devices can't transcode to PCM.

I wonder if We will see any MQA capable DAC reviews anytime soon.

Comment

• wkhanna
        Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2006

LINK to John Atkinson's MQA article in Stereophile

other interesting reading:

LINK to an interview with with Spencer Chrislu, MQA's director of content services

LINK MQA: Questions and Answers
        _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
        ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• TEK
          Super Senior Member
          • Oct 2002

Originally posted by twochannel
          It is indeed very good, limited selection as yet but no doubt that will change with time. According to my DAC we are getting 192K
          Hmm, that was strange. Is that on all albumes?
          The article states "96 kHz/24 bit"
          My Marants AV8801 show 96khz (I think it states khz), getting input from my PC wich has the Marantz as a soundcard/output.
          Is your 192K referring to 192khz or is it a different number?
          -TEK

Many of the great achievements of the world were accomplished by tired and discouraged men who kept on working...

Comment

• JonMarsh
            Mad Max Moderator
            • Aug 2000

I'm not a fan. I'm a curmudgeon. For a very complete and reasoned (to me) take on this, see the Boys with all kinds of Schiit...

Must be something about who you like as DAC vendors, because most of the vendors I'm into feel pretty much the same way.
            the AudioWorx
            Natalie P
            M8ta
            Modula Neo DCC
            Modula MT XE
            Modula Xtreme
            Isiris
            Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
            Minerva Monitor
            Calliope
            Ardent D

In Development...
            Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
            Obi-Wan
            Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
            Modula PWB
            Calliope CC Supreme
            Natalie P Ultra
            Natalie P Supreme
            Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
            Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• BobEllis
              Super Senior Member
              • Dec 2005

Interesting reads, Bill.

Atkinson's assertion that the frequency domain content is the same as the original doesn't seem borne out by the spectral graph (figure 2). I see up to 5 dB of boost from 150 Hz on down and almost as much roll off in the top octave. A single example doesn't prove MQA has a euphonic house curve, but it sure makes me suspicious. Especially when so many reviewers say that the act of MQA encoding makes the file sound better, even with a standard DAC. Jon works response in his speaker designs to 1-2 dB and a 5 dB difference is "identical?" Are we going to be stuck with A house curve applied to recordings?
              Last edited by BobEllis; 07 January 2017, 08:19 Saturday.

Comment

• wkhanna
                Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
                • Jan 2006

from Schiit's site:

WHY WE WON'T BE SUPPORTING MQA
                05/26/2016

Schiit Clarifies Position on a Proposed Audio Format

May 26th, 2016, Valencia, CA. Today, Schiit Audio announced that they would not be supporting MQA, a proprietary audio format claiming “studio quality sound you can stream or download.” Schiit Audio feels that it is important to support its customers—and potential customers—by clarifying the company’s position on MQA, so that they may choose another DAC provider that backs the format, if they feel it is important to them.

“Although there are still many questions to be answered about MQA, we feel we know enough to make a decision,” said Jason Stoddard, Schiit’s Co-Founder.

Stoddard outlined the primary reasons:

1. We believe that supporting MQA means handing over the entire recording industry to an external standards organization. MQA wants:
                Licensing fees from the recording studios
                Licensing fees from the digital audio product manufacturers
                Hardware or software access/insight into the DAC or player
                Subscription fees from every listener via Tidal, and/or royalties from purchases of re-releases by the recording industry

2. Our experience with standards-driven industries is sub-par. Consider the surround market. Companies making surround processors now have to support a dizzying array of different standards, none of which is a market differentiator, and the exclusion of any single standard can mean commercial failure. The result is a market in which competition is stifled and consumers are confused.

3. We don’t believe MQA is a differentiator for high-end DACs if it is available on phones. Consider SRS, the Sound Retrieval System, as an instructive example. Before being acquired by DTS, it claimed to be on “over a billion devices.” However, there is little evidence any consumers considered SRS a must-have, differentiating technology.

4. We consider MQA to be yet another “format distraction” that makes high-end audio more confusing and insular. This is a reflection of our position in the market—nearly 1/3 of our revenue is from $99 and under products, and we have one of the youngest customer bases in the industry. It is our experience that when someone starts getting into great audio, they just want a product that will make their current music sound better, rather than one that requires additional investment in streaming subscriptions or new releases.

5. We feel that, even from a market perspective, many questions need to be answered. When will we see MQA on Tidal? At what cost? What percentage of the library will be MQA? How many releases should we expect to see from Warner in the next 12 months? What will be the cost? Again, a historic example may be cautionary. Consider Sony and DSD. DSD is a Sony technology that they promoted, and yet they released very few recordings in DSD.

Mike Moffat concurred, saying, “In addition to the market questions outlined by my partner,there are many performance questions (about MQA) that cause great concern. Actual decode d bit depth for both MQA and non-MQA DACs, claims of ‘lossless,’ the need for MQA to tweak their decode algorithm for a specific DAC (and their ability to perform this optimization on-schedule for a DAC manufacturer who might be, well, a little smaller than HTC,) the impact on the DAC manufacturer’s own proprietary technology and product development, and the impact on the DAC manufacturer’s own competitiveness.”

Moffat further opined that Schiit Audio considers the further development of in support of the primary 16/44.1 PCM format to be of the most value to its customers, citing extremely strong sales of Schiit Audio’s multibit DAC products, and the positive reception to its “DACs for the music you have, not the music you have to buy,” message.

Asked if there was any chance Schiit Audio might support MQA if it became the dominant format in the market, Moffat answered, “If it becomes the dominant audio technology, or even a very popular second-place format, we would have to evaluate it in the same way we evaluate other lossy compression standards, such as home theater surround formats, Bluetooth codecs, and MP3 variants.”
                _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
                ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Hdale85
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Jan 2006

Hmm interesting stuff. I noticed the update to Tidal and had a listen and it sounded pretty good granted my headphones aren't really audiophile quality.

I'd have to agree with the guys from Schiit though it seems like another way to suck money from the looks of it.

Comment

• Ovation
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Sep 2004

Since the only dedicated outboard DAC I own is a Schiit (entry level at that--does the job for me), I'm with them.

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"