X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mb225
    • Jan 2009

Is there data loss when converting WAV to AIFF

I'm cleaning up my iTunes digital music server, getting everything tagged correctly and putting in missing album artwork, etc. When I originally ripped CDs I was ripping them as WAV but switched to AIFF format in iTunes about 1 year ago. So 70% of my music is stored as WAV and 30% as AIFF. The latest version of iTunes does not allow me to add artwork to WAV files. This did work in the past, I think Apple is starting to force their formats in iTunes (but this is another discussion). If I convert the WAV files to AIFF, it allows me to add my artwork. So the question is, if I use iTunes to convert my files from WAV to AIFF, will I introduce any data loss?

As a test I converted a WAV file to AIFF and then converted the AIFF file back to WAV and ran a "diff" on the two WAV files. The files were identical with a diff command. To me this tells me the WAV to AIFF conversion is bit-perfect.

To verify the test I used iTunes to convert a WAV file to MP3 (256 kpbs) and then converted the MP3 back to WAV and ran the diff on the WAV files. This file diff showed tons of differences.

As far as I can tell this proves converting WAV to AIFF in iTunes should preserve the original quality. But maybe I missing something? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
  • chrispy35
    • Feb 2004

Your diff method is solid. There's no loss of data in converting from WAV to AIFF.

Chris P.

Comment

• littlesaint
      • Jul 2007

AIFF and WAV are essentially just wrappers or container formats for the raw, uncompressed LPCM audio bitstream. Converting from one to the other is just a matter of changing the wrapper, more or less. The audio bitstream is left untouched though, so yes, it should be the unaltered.
      Santino

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Comment

• bigburner
        Super Senior Member
        • May 2005

Originally posted by littlesaint
        AIFF and WAV are essentially just wrappers or container formats for the raw, uncompressed LPCM audio bitstream. Converting from one to the other is just a matter of changing the wrapper, more or less. The audio bitstream is left untouched though, so yes, it should be the unaltered.
        Correct. Using AIFF is like using WinZip on a Word document. Are there any letters missing from your masterpiece when you zip and unzip the document? No. It just reduces the size of the file without eliminating any information.

Nigel.

Comment

• mb225
          • Jan 2009

Thanks all!! A really appreciate the information.

Comment

• mb225
            • Jan 2009

I performed a very interesting test today. BigBurner's comment about the Apple Lossless format made me wonder. If you convert something to lossless and then convert it back will it be the same? So I converted a WAV file to Apple Lossless and then converted the Apple Lossless file back to a WAV. I ran a diff on the 2 WAV files and they are NOT identical!!! 8O The files are 99% the same but the conversion introduced differences.

WTF? If Apple Lossless is just that, "Lossless" shouldn't the conversion create an identical file?

Comment

• wettou
              Ultra Senior Member
              • May 2006

Originally posted by mb225
              I performed a very interesting test today. BigBurner's comment about the Apple Lossless format made me wonder. If you convert something to lossless and then convert it back will it be the same? So I converted a WAV file to Apple Lossless and then converted the Apple Lossless file back to a WAV. I ran a diff on the 2 WAV files and they are NOT identical!!! 8O The files are 99% the same but the conversion introduced differences.

WTF? If Apple Lossless is just that, "Lossless" shouldn't the conversion create an identical file?
              Hum :E
              Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• stuofsci02
                Super Senior Member
                • Nov 2009

This is news to me...

They should be the same... Most of my collection is in Apple Lossless...

I hate apple.. Should have gone FLAC..
                Main System:
                B&W 801D
                Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
                Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
                Oppo BDP-105
                Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
                B&W CM7
                Emotiva UMC-1
                Emotiva UPA-2
                Oppo BDP-83SE
                Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• littlesaint
                  • Jul 2007

Originally posted by mb225

Are you comparing files, or audio bitstreams? There's a difference.
                  Santino

Comment

• stuofsci02
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Nov 2009

Are you comparing files, or audio bitstreams? There's a difference.
                    I think he is converting one format to the other and then back again. Then comparing the original to the twice converted file. I think by definition you should end up with two identical files..
                    Main System:
                    B&W 801D
                    Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
                    Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
                    Oppo BDP-105
                    Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
                    B&W CM7
                    Emotiva UMC-1
                    Emotiva UPA-2
                    Oppo BDP-83SE
                    Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• littlesaint
                      • Jul 2007

Originally posted by stuofsci02
                      I think he is converting one format to the other and then back again. Then comparing the original to the twice converted file. I think by definition you should end up with two identical files..
                      No you don't. Lossless codecs like ALAC and FLAC compress the original audio bitstream, not the original file. So doing a file diff is not a valid comparison. You have to compare the audio bitstreams in the container files. Best way is to use the Bit Compare component of foobar2000. In my own tests both FLAC and ALAC produce the same results with identical bitstreams, and maybe a few (<1000) empty samples added to the beginning or end of the track.
                      Santino

Comment

• stuofsci02
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Nov 2009

No you don't. Lossless codecs like ALAC and FLAC compress the original audio bitstream, not the original file. So doing a file diff is not a valid comparison. You have to compare the audio bitstreams in the container files. Best way is to use the Bit Compare component of foobar2000. In my own tests both FLAC and ALAC produce the same results with identical bitstreams, and maybe a few (<1000) empty samples added to the beginning or end of the track.
                        Ahh... So you are saying the container file may differ each time even if you run the same encoder on the same original?
                        Main System:
                        B&W 801D
                        Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
                        Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
                        Oppo BDP-105
                        Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
                        B&W CM7
                        Emotiva UMC-1
                        Emotiva UPA-2
                        Oppo BDP-83SE
                        Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• littlesaint
                          • Jul 2007

Originally posted by stuofsci02
                          Ahh... So you are saying the container file may differ each time even if you run the same encoder on the same original?
                          It depends on the codecs and the software, but yes, the files may be different, but the audio data should always stay the same as you convert from codec to codec, as long as you stay in the lossless domain.
                          Santino

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"