X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • impala454
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2007

Sonos Software Update

I've always been interested in Sonos but haven't gotten one yet. I really like the concept, and this new update makes me like it even more! I may have to grab one when

So if I understand correctly, you'll no longer need the "bridge" unit to set up a mesh network of them. Pretty cool.
    -Chuck
  • Kevin D
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

Not much of a hurrah for me, but hopefully it will fix the biggest gripe we've had with Sonos. The bridge is only $50, so not quite as exciting as this announcement leads on to be (third time I've heard about it today). It's hard enough to get a larger Sonos system and Wifi to work together as it is, now they want to be on the Wifi system?

About the 'fix' I'm looking for, from the article it appears that units not within range of each other can both connect to Wifi. The problem right now is if you hard wire two or more units within range of each other, you get into spanning tree issues. Without a better router or managed switch, all hardwired units believe they are the path out to the internet and the whole system will flood/crash the network. You can go into diagnostic webpages or each unit and fix it, but it defaults back as soon as the customer upgrades the Sonos system.

It's crazy to have 6+ units sitting on top of each other, right next to a network switch, and only have one connected. Of course with 6+ units pumping Sonosnet out in one location, good luck getting any Wifi or zigbee signals out of there.

Kevin D.

Comment

• impala454
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Oct 2007

Always interesting to hear the installer perspective

I just thought it sounded nice because it'd be cheaper to get into.
      -Chuck

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"