X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • peterS
    Super Senior Member
    • Dec 2005

Recent Mini PC purchase

Wanted to buy the mac mini but couldn't justify its price compared to this guy:

Last edited by peterS; 03 August 2013, 23:12 Saturday. Reason: *mac mini
  • PewterTA
    • Nov 2004

Nice, I like it...though I wonder with having a 1.5Ghz Celeron processor, how it actually does with Windows 8?!?

My friend James has that lenovo mouse/keyboard and it's nice! Only thing missing on it is the Function keys (like if you wanted to get into the bios).

Let us know what you think of it. What are you going to use it for, just audio or movies?!
    Digital Audio makes me Happy.
    -Dan

Comment

• peterS
      Super Senior Member
      • Dec 2005

I only plan on using it for itunes. If the GPU can handle netflix ill use it for that but I have a PS3 for that too.

It is the only mini pc that i could find with a DVD drive, included windows OS and populated RAM and Harddrive. The remote keyboard is integrated (I already have the same one) but I will probably use my RF full keyboard. Most of the bare bones approach the price of a mac mini when you take this into consideration.

Agreed that the cpu may be a bit slower for Windows 8 but id rather it run quite and Its not clear which version of windows 8 this is so we will see.
      I'll comment on that once its up and running

Comment

• PewterTA
        • Nov 2004

Cool, can't wait to hear the comments! I'd like to build something small that is pretty powerful to be permanently hooked up to my TV for HTPC use. Some day I'll see if I can put together one out of the scrap parts I have..
        -Dan

Comment

• JonMarsh
          Mad Max Moderator
          • Aug 2000

Originally posted by peterS
          Wanted to buy the mac book mini but couldn't justify its price compared to this guy:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16883265291
          How's that working out for you? How well do you think the 3000 series graphics work for what you need? (that was a weak point in the older Intel CPU's- two generations ago). Will you use the built in S/PDIF or USB for audio interface?

The price is reasonable, but you know some of us would have gone for a Mac Mini - a much more comparable form factor and cost comparison (compared with a Macbook of any type). With standard features like Firewire and options like a Fusion drive (SSD+HD), there's a lot you can do with it for music playback in all kinds of levels of system, at a reasonable price. Memory is expandable, too, important if you want to use a player that supports playback from memory.

Let us know how you use it and how it works out- those on a tight budget may find it quite useful.
          the AudioWorx
          Natalie P
          M8ta
          Modula Neo DCC
          Modula MT XE
          Modula Xtreme
          Isiris
          Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
          Minerva Monitor
          Calliope
          Ardent D

In Development...
          Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
          Obi-Wan
          Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
          Modula PWB
          Calliope CC Supreme
          Natalie P Ultra
          Natalie P Supreme
          Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
          Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• mjb
            Super Senior Member
            • Mar 2005

Originally posted by JonMarsh
            The price is reasonable, but you know some of us would have gone for a Mac Mini - a much more comparable form factor and cost comparison (compared with a Macbook of any type). With standard features like Firewire and options like a Fusion drive (SSD+HD), there's a lot you can do with it for music playback in all kinds of levels of system, at a reasonable price. Memory is expandable, too, important if you want to use a player that supports playback from memory.
            Yep. I'm Mac all the way, love Mini's as a music server, but there are cheaper options.
            - Mike

Main System:
            B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
            ClassƩ SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• peterS
              Super Senior Member
              • Dec 2005

Well I cant say you guys didnt warn me The Lenevo started acting funny once I installed itunes- some kind of buffering issue- it basically sounds like it cant keep up with 192khz sampling lol. There is also a subtle noise issue that I havent pin pointed yet. I was able to convince new egg to give me atleast a partial refund. I'll be keeping my eye on the new mac minis in october instead
              Last edited by peterS; 09 August 2013, 16:44 Friday. Reason: started acting funny

Comment

• peterS
                Super Senior Member
                • Dec 2005

*update

Comment

• wkhanna
                  Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
                  • Jan 2006

......The Lenevo started acting funny ....
                  Bummer!
                  _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
                  ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• jim1961
                    • Nov 2012

Mac Mini $403 ?
                    Seek out and destroy early high gain room reflections

Comment

• Audio_ElF
                      • Oct 2007

Well I cant say you guys didnt warn me The Lenevo started acting funny once I installed itunes- some kind of buffering issue- it basically sounds like it cant keep up with 192khz sampling lol. There is also a subtle noise issue that I havent pin pointed yet. I was able to convince new egg to give me atleast a partial refund. I'll be keeping my eye on the new mac minis in october instead
                      Oh. Sounds like you returned it... I was going to suggest you tried Foobar or J.River in preference to iTunes under Windows.

Comment

• bigburner
                        Super Senior Member
                        • May 2005

I'm surprised. I use a basic Celeron-based laptop with 2GB of RAM to run iTunes under W7. It runs perfectly. I think the secret is to strip the machine down for audio use only. It was a while ago when I did it but I think this is the guide that I followed: http://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/...tion_Guide.pdf

Nigel.

Comment

• peterS
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Dec 2005

the issue (besides the noise) may be windows 8

Comment

• ellisr63
                            • Jan 2013

I use a i3 NUC for a media server and I am about to try a celeron NUC for another media server. I have zero problems with the i3 as a server.
                            Marantz AV8805a, 7 channel Icepower DIY amp, 3 Klipsch K402 MEH speakers, 4 Klipsch rp150 speakers, LG 86" 4k FP, Zappiti Reference, Denafrips Pontus ii, Lumin U1 Mini, and Panasonic ub820, 2 Yamaha p2500s amps.

Comment

• JonMarsh
                              Mad Max Moderator
                              • Aug 2000

the issue (besides the noise) may be windows 8
                              Windows 8 has problems with the real time clock, and that will likely affect the playback in sampled time based digital systems- i.e., digital audio; the higher the sample rate, I'd guess the worse might be the issues.
                              the AudioWorx
                              Natalie P
                              M8ta
                              Modula Neo DCC
                              Modula MT XE
                              Modula Xtreme
                              Isiris
                              Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                              Minerva Monitor
                              Calliope
                              Ardent D

In Development...
                              Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                              Obi-Wan
                              Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                              Modula PWB
                              Calliope CC Supreme
                              Natalie P Ultra
                              Natalie P Supreme
                              Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                              Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• PewterTA
                                • Nov 2004

I've seen windows 8 play flawless and as good as anything on a MAC or W7 machine. I doubt Windows 8 inherently was the problem...however the processor running windows 8 was most likely the culprit as windows 8 does like a nice beefy CPU. I have a stripped down Win8 (minimalist) copy that is purly designed for Audio. So far it's been very impressive. Nothing beyond anything that isn't already out there at the top of their game. But this Minimalist Win 8 & JRiver run flawlessly. I've also got Foobar2000 running correctly now on it with my customized configuration of it and I have to say I think it's slightly better than the same machine with Win7 on it. So same hardware, just different boot drives.

I see on another site they already are working on a minimalist Win 8.1, so I wouldn't think it shouldn't be too long before that one is configured to be the same.
                                -Dan

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎
                                Searching...Please wait.
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                Search Result for "|||"