X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PewterTA
    • Nov 2004

List your Digital gear!

I figured we might as well start of with this simple topic to get people started!

Right now, here's how my data flows from my server to my stereo.

Server used for storage, it's a "simple" MS Windows 2k8r2 box with a BUNCH of storage. Everything in my house is ran via Cat6 ethernet cable giving me a solid 1GB connection between my HTPC (Home Theater PC) and the server where everything resides.

My HTPC is a Windows 7 64-bit computer. On this computer I run Foobar2000 which unfortuneately is no being maintained anymore...but has a pretty strong following that is keeping it alive... For mine I've customized it to look like this:

From here, I do not have any SPDIF output, so I bought the WireWorld Starlight Audio USB cable to get the audio out of my computer. Most people think USB cables are USB cables... and they are not. This cable is flat and separates the power legs from the data. This does produce a better sound, believe it or not.

To connect the USB to my DAC, I need a digital transport. I choice the Musical Fidelity V-Link 192. For the price, I feel it's one of the best out there to convert audio out from USB and into a SPDIF format (your typical Digital Coax, optical, and balance connections). The MF V-Link192 only has digital coax and a balanced connection, so if you're looking at this to send the audio to your DAC, make sure it has one of these connections.

Now that we have the Vlink in place, the audio then go through a simple BlueJeans Digital Coax cable into my Cambridge Audio 840c CDP. The Cambridge Audio CDP is nice as it has two digital input sections on the back. This has really helped me as I've been able to compare a CD played on it and switched right over to the same thing that I ripped down to the computer. Up until I got the V-Link192 and made a bunch of tweaks to the computer.... I've never gotten the ripped version to sound as good as the CD in the player. Now, it's to the point where no CD put in the player sounds as good as the audio coming off the computer. That's been a great thing for me that has allowed every change and tweak I've tried to give a definite "is it as good as" the CD being played.

One tip I've learned across the process is that the Digital Coax cable matters the absolute least. I test the bluejeans cable against CatCables SilverCats, against a cheap RadioShack rca cable and I was unable to tell any differences.... So you don't need to go nuts on this cable, basically anything you use here, as long as it's a decent cable, will work fine. I'm sure on the balanced side and the optical side... there's differences (I know there is on the optical side, plastic vs glass especially).
    Digital Audio makes me Happy.
    -Dan
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

I'm currently running a QNAP NAS (to be upgraded to a custom FreeNAS build when I have the time) hosting my local media (mkv movies and flac audio files predominately). It's feeding a PC in a secondary system and a WDTV Live in our main system.

It's all controlled via our Samsung Tablet using TouchSquid.

Jason

Comment

• Ovation
      Super Senior Member
      • Sep 2004

Mine is very basic. I have music stored in iTunes in Apple Lossless (ripped from CDs), mostly (a few things of lesser importance--one hit wonder type stuff--are just bought from iTunes in their lossy format). I stream from my iTunes library wirelessly to my living room 2 channel via Airport Express (connected to my AVR via toslink) and to my HT AVR (connected in the same way). Works fine for me. When I want to do "critical listening" (the time for which seems to be diminishing day by day, sadly), I pull out the shiny disc.

Comment

• mjb
        Super Senior Member
        • Mar 2005

I'm an iTunes guy too - the stuff I like (or value) is ripped lossless (ALAC), one hit wonders etc are from the iTunes store (256/AAC). I have a Mac Mini hooked up to an SSP-800 via HDMI, with a wireless keyboard/mouse, and/or the Apple Remote app to control it from my iPhone/iPad. You can just make out the Mac Mini, perched on top of the SSP in the picture.

Last edited by mjb; 27 December 2014, 13:09 Saturday. Reason: Update image URL
        - Mike

Main System:
        B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
        ClassƩ SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• bigburner
          Super Senior Member
          • May 2005

HP laptop with external hard drive ā€“> Windows 7 ā€“> iTunes ā€“> WAV files ā€“> Ploytec USB ASIO driver ā€“> Hagerman USB-to-XLR converter ā€“> LFD DAC3 external DAC ā€“> preamp etc.

Nigel.

Comment

• JeremyG
            • Sep 2008

1st generation AppleTV with movies and music (ALAC) stored internal, to a Marantz SR7001 via HDMI. Looking to eventually upgrade into a Mac Mini to run Fidelia, and an honest to goodness DAC.

Comment

• Finleyville
              • Sep 2006

Nice socks and speakers!
              BE ALERT! The world needs more lerts.

Comment

• PewterTA
                • Nov 2004

Awesome setup guys!!!!

All you MAC people have you looked into adding Audivarna+ or Amarra. I've heard really good things with these. I played with Audivarna Plus and I have to say it definitely sounds better than the output of iTunes and very simple to use. One of these is the way I'd go with my MAC if I had one and had all my music in iTunes.

Keep them coming!!!
                -Dan

Comment

• Alloroc
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Dec 2005

Have my entire audio and video collection ripped and stored on LaCie NAS. Have about 8tb of content with 4tb of space left. Backed up on HP RDX drive/cartridges and stored in a fireproof box! It was a lot of effort to rip all of that stuff so until cloud storage for that kind of capacity is available - a fire proof box it stays!

CD collection is ripped to FLAC. Also have recently experimented with ripping SACD for HD audio however I'm finding it easier - lots easier - to buy studio masters (where available).

DVDs and blurays are ripped uncompressed and wrapped in MKV. I have a couple of Boxee Box media players that does a decent job for almost every format. It struggles with DTS-HD soundtracks so in that event ill pop in a BRD.

So. Around the house I recently bought a bunch of Sonos stuff for most rooms. I got to hand it to them. It's stupid simple and sounds decent enough. The connect amp is pretty great and recently implemented an outdoor setup with one. My wife loves it. It ties in all the online services too and as I use Spotify, we have almost any piece of music anywhere. Playlists follow me too as do my radio channels.

In my family room where I spend most of my time when listening I use the native network music player in my Marantz 8801 processor. It plays 192/24 Flac so I'm covered for everything. Sounds awesome. It has Spotify and Internet radio too however thinking of adding a Sonos connect so I can add that to a multi room setup. That said Sonos cannot playback beyond 16bit so hi-def is out. Will see.

My main music room is pretty much all vinyl these days so no digital streaming gear there yet. Looking at some interesting products from Wadia and others so who knows.
                  Vincent.

I don't want the world. I just want your half.

Comment

• Alloroc
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Dec 2005

Oh before I forget! Fantastic addition to the board!
                    Vincent.

I don't want the world. I just want your half.

Comment

• hifidez
                      • Feb 2007

The guys who read the Musical Fidelity threads will know this but my inexpensive but very hi-end (to me) sound quality...

Win XP machine with two 1TB USB HDs.. one is the active library, the other is the backup periodically synchronised using 'freefilesync'. PC is hard wired to the router (BT Homehub 2) and music is sent wi-fi to my main system, downstairs. There lives a Squeezebox Touch which has been upgraded to output 24/192 when fed with that kind of data.

The SB Touch squirts data into a now-just-superceded Musical Fidelity V-DAC II which, in turn, feeds into a passive Creek OBH-22 > Musical Fidelity A3.2 cr power amp > Spendor A5s (also have some Maggie SMGAs which come out for a play now and again).

It works for me :-)

Comment

• PewterTA
                        • Nov 2004

Just added a Yamaha rx-a820 to the mix for an upstairs system. I have to say the interface is pretty impressive. The Yamaha app is really one of the best apps out there for a receiver. It pulls dlna (which I use serviio for dlna) flawlessly and the sound is pretty darn good. After it breaks in I'll probably compare the sound quality to my Rotel rsp-1098 and see how it does. It definitely makes me want to see the flagship cx-5000 they got that is just a pre-amp...... good good stuff!
                        -Dan

Comment

• Jinjuku
                          • Oct 2007

Have a server in the basement and Wireless N to a Brazos based system with 96GB SSD. DC to DC power converter and TrippLite linear regulated power supply. Using EMU 1212M Mastering Grade audio card (PCIe) up to 24/192 to Crown XLS 402 power amp (balanced inputs) out to some Statements.

Windows 7 Home Premium with J River. Using ASIO.

Comment

• wkhanna
                            Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
                            • Jan 2006

Nice!
                            _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
                            ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• mjb
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Mar 2005

Originally posted by PewterTA
                              All you MAC people have you looked into adding Audivarna+ or Amarra. I've heard really good things with these. I played with Audivarna Plus and I have to say it definitely sounds better than the output of iTunes and very simple to use.
                              I purchased Fidelia a couple of weeks ago, and must say it really does sound way better than itunes. Highly recommended, and available in the AppStore. Vox is also very good, small, light weight, and suports FLAC.

BTW, XLD is probably the best Mac ripper out there
                              - Mike

Main System:
                              B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS

Comment

• Dmantis
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Jun 2004

I'm rocking a Macbook Pro with ITunes running with Pure music for 24/192 stuff. I use a Audioquest Carbon USB cable into my Pioneer Elite SC-68 which has a built in USB DAC. It's the first of it's kind and I love it. Main channel speakers are Def Tech Mythos 10's wired with Cardos Crosslinks and Audioquest HD6+ Silver Sub cables. APC J15 for power conditioning/ voltage stabilization battery back up. Which is all plugged into a 20 amp dedicated circuit PS Audio Power port.

I purchase stuff from HD tracks. I haven't been rocking much music over this summer but now that fall is setting in and winter is right around the corner, I will be finding myself back on the HD tracks website looking for some new cuts. Not to mention I'm into Octoberfest and Pumpkin beers right now which lead right into Stouts for the winter. With the occasional Belgium Brews. O how fall and winter are the best times of the year for Music and beer.

O I also rock J River on the PC side and waiting for them to finalize the Mac version. I had it when it came out in bata but didn't really like all the issues so I'm waiting for them to come out with the final working version unless it's already out. Another thing I gotta dig back into. I really like the J River interface and love how it's a stand alone player instead of Pure Music running behind ITunes.

Comment

• wkhanna
                                  • Jan 2006

Great set-up!

Originally posted by Dmantis
                                  I purchase stuff from HD tracks. I haven't been rocking much music over this summer but now that fall is setting in and winter is right around the corner, I will be finding myself back on the HD tracks website looking for some new cuts.
                                  FYI, Here are a few other sources for Hi-Res:

HDTT

HDtracks

Already well known for high quality recordings, Acoustic Sounds now offers Hi-Res DL's

One of my favorites who runs really good deals & special offers all the time is Qobuz

& just a sampling of a few more:

HighResAudio

2L- the Nordic Sound

The music captured by 2L features Norwegian composers and performers and an international repertoire reflected in the Nordic atmosphere. The surround sound recordings of Lindberg Lyd not only transform the entire listening experience, but also - more radically - these innovative recordings overturn some very basic concepts regarding how music is played and even composed. 2L emphasize surround sound with Pure Audio Blu-ray and HiRes file distribution, and have garnered no less than 41 American GRAMMY nominations since 2006, 31 of these in craft categories Best Engineered Album, Best Surround Sound Album, Best Immersive Audio Album and Producer of the Year. LUX with Nidarosdomens jentekor, Trygve Seim and TrondheimSolistene won the award for Best Immersive Audio Album at the 62nd GRAMMY Awards in 2020. 2L record in spacious acoustic venues: large concert halls, churches and cathedrals. This is actually where we can make the most intimate recordings. The qualities we seek in large rooms are not necessarily a big reverb, but openness due to the absence of close reflecting walls. Making an ambient and beautiful recording is the way of least resistance. Searching the fine edge between direct contact and openness - that’s the real challenge! A really good recording should be able to bodily move the listener. This core quality of audio production is made by choosing the right venue for the repertoire, and by balancing the image in the placement of microphones and musicians relative to each other in that venue. There is no method available today to reproduce the exact perception of attending a live performance. That leaves us with the art of illusion when it comes to recording music. As recording engineers and producers we need to do exactly the same as any good musician: interpret the music and the composer’s intentions and adapt to the media where we perform. Surround sound is a completely new conception of the musical experience. Recorded music is no longer a matter of a fixed two-dimensional setting, but rather a three-dimensional enveloping situation. Stereo can be described as a flat canvas, while surround sound is a sculpture that you can literally move around and relate to spatially - surrounded by music you can move about in the aural space and choose angles, vantage points and positions.

AIX Records

Blue Coast Records

Experience the critically acclaimed live-in-the-studio recordings known to audiophiles worldwide and now available on all music services.

Bowers and Wilkins - Society of Sound

Cantaloupe Music

Cantaloupe Music is the record label created by the three founders of New York's legendary Bang on a Can organization—composers Michael Gordon, David Lang and Julia Wolfe. Cantaloupe Music has made a massive impact in the new music community, and has been recognized by critics and fans worldwide for its edgy and adventurous sounds.

Chesky Records

Gimell Records (96k/24bit, 48k/24bit, 44.1k/16bit of the The Tallis Scholars)

Information on all Gimell recordings by Peter Phillips and The Tallis Scholars available on Streaming Services, Downloads, CDs and DVDs, including music by Allegri, Byrd, Josquin, Palestrina, Tallis and Victoria.

HDTracks

HDtracks is a high-resolution music platform for music lovers to download their favorite tracks in master studio quality. Join us today for the ultimate listening experience!

High Res Music

High Definition Tape Transfers

High Resolution Downloads, Classical Music, Jazz Music, Rare Audiophile, DSD Downloads, Pure Audio. Blu ray Audio

High-res download test bench (free samples only)

We invite you to join us in this evaluation of future consumer delivery formats. Download high resolution audio files from Norwegian 2L in stereo 96kHz, 192kHz, DXD, DSD and 5.1 surround. MQA and FLAC are lossless encodings derived directly from our original production masters. Enjoy the music!

Hyperion Records

Internet Archive (dot org) - has some high res available - including Hungry Lucy!

iTrax

LessLoss Audio - Free Sample High Resolution Audiophile Recordings

LessLoss offers free high definition music, audiophile recordings, audiophile music, hd tracks including free audiophile downloads, audiophile music, audiophile recordings, hd tracks, high resolution audio downloads. Visit us.

Linn Records

Reference Recordings

REFERENCE RECORDINGS® records and manufactures award winning, ultimate quality CDs, Hybrid SACDs, LPs, and HRx discs and downloads of 176.4 kHz/24 bit music.

Rhino

_

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                    Mad Max Moderator
                                    • Aug 2000

Originally posted by wkhanna
                                    Great set-up!

HDTT

HDtracks

Already well known for high quality recordings, Acoustic Sounds now offers Hi-Res DL's

One of my favorites who runs really good deals & special offers all the time is Qobuz

HighResAudio

2L- the Nordic Sound

The music captured by 2L features Norwegian composers and performers and an international repertoire reflected in the Nordic atmosphere. The surround sound recordings of Lindberg Lyd not only transform the entire listening experience, but also - more radically - these innovative recordings overturn some very basic concepts regarding how music is played and even composed. 2L emphasize surround sound with Pure Audio Blu-ray and HiRes file distribution, and have garnered no less than 41 American GRAMMY nominations since 2006, 31 of these in craft categories Best Engineered Album, Best Surround Sound Album, Best Immersive Audio Album and Producer of the Year. LUX with Nidarosdomens jentekor, Trygve Seim and TrondheimSolistene won the award for Best Immersive Audio Album at the 62nd GRAMMY Awards in 2020. 2L record in spacious acoustic venues: large concert halls, churches and cathedrals. This is actually where we can make the most intimate recordings. The qualities we seek in large rooms are not necessarily a big reverb, but openness due to the absence of close reflecting walls. Making an ambient and beautiful recording is the way of least resistance. Searching the fine edge between direct contact and openness - that’s the real challenge! A really good recording should be able to bodily move the listener. This core quality of audio production is made by choosing the right venue for the repertoire, and by balancing the image in the placement of microphones and musicians relative to each other in that venue. There is no method available today to reproduce the exact perception of attending a live performance. That leaves us with the art of illusion when it comes to recording music. As recording engineers and producers we need to do exactly the same as any good musician: interpret the music and the composer’s intentions and adapt to the media where we perform. Surround sound is a completely new conception of the musical experience. Recorded music is no longer a matter of a fixed two-dimensional setting, but rather a three-dimensional enveloping situation. Stereo can be described as a flat canvas, while surround sound is a sculpture that you can literally move around and relate to spatially - surrounded by music you can move about in the aural space and choose angles, vantage points and positions.

AIX Records

Blue Coast Records

Experience the critically acclaimed live-in-the-studio recordings known to audiophiles worldwide and now available on all music services.

Cantaloupe Music

Cantaloupe Music is the record label created by the three founders of New York's legendary Bang on a Can organization—composers Michael Gordon, David Lang and Julia Wolfe. Cantaloupe Music has made a massive impact in the new music community, and has been recognized by critics and fans worldwide for its edgy and adventurous sounds.

Chesky Records

Information on all Gimell recordings by Peter Phillips and The Tallis Scholars available on Streaming Services, Downloads, CDs and DVDs, including music by Allegri, Byrd, Josquin, Palestrina, Tallis and Victoria.

HDTracks

HDtracks is a high-resolution music platform for music lovers to download their favorite tracks in master studio quality. Join us today for the ultimate listening experience!

High Res Music

High Resolution Downloads, Classical Music, Jazz Music, Rare Audiophile, DSD Downloads, Pure Audio. Blu ray Audio

We invite you to join us in this evaluation of future consumer delivery formats. Download high resolution audio files from Norwegian 2L in stereo 96kHz, 192kHz, DXD, DSD and 5.1 surround. MQA and FLAC are lossless encodings derived directly from our original production masters. Enjoy the music!

Hyperion Records

Internet Archive (dot org) - has some high res available - including Hungry Lucy!

iTrax

LessLoss offers free high definition music, audiophile recordings, audiophile music, hd tracks including free audiophile downloads, audiophile music, audiophile recordings, hd tracks, high resolution audio downloads. Visit us.

Linn Records

Reference Recordings

REFERENCE RECORDINGS® records and manufactures award winning, ultimate quality CDs, Hybrid SACDs, LPs, and HRx discs and downloads of 176.4 kHz/24 bit music.

Rhino

http://www.rhino.com/
                                    For this Digital Audio section of the forum, it might not be a bad idea to have a few sticky threads, with reference info like this. What else, I don't know- up to the forum topic moderators.
                                    the AudioWorx
                                    Natalie P
                                    M8ta
                                    Modula Neo DCC
                                    Modula MT XE
                                    Modula Xtreme
                                    Isiris
                                    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                    Minerva Monitor
                                    Calliope
                                    Ardent D

In Development...
                                    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                                    Obi-Wan
                                    Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                                    Modula PWB
                                    Calliope CC Supreme
                                    Natalie P Ultra
                                    Natalie P Supreme
                                    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                                    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Dmantis
                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Jun 2004

Originally posted by wkhanna
                                      Great set-up!

HDTT

HDtracks

HighResAudio

2L- the Nordic Sound

AIX Records

Blue Coast Records

Cantaloupe Music

Chesky Records

HDTracks

High Res Music

Hyperion Records

iTrax

Linn Records

Reference Recordings

Rhino

http://www.rhino.com/
                                      Awesome list man, thanks.

Comment

• wkhanna
                                        • Jan 2006

Originally posted by JonMarsh
                                        For this Digital Audio section of the forum, it might not be a bad idea to have a few sticky threads, with reference info like this. What else, I don't know- up to the forum topic moderators.
                                        *Cough - Cough*

Ahhhh..........Hey Dan............

I think The Maestro is dropping a "Hint'......

.......time to put on the 'moderator' hat.....oke:

:W
                                        _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• PewterTA
                                          • Nov 2004

Man... all this work leaves me with no time to enjoy my new............

iFi USB Power supply for my Musical Fidelity V-Link192 and WireWorld Silver Starlight USB cables........

Just saying.

I have to say the upgrade with the power supply and the USB cables (over just the WW Starlight I had -- which is now Bill's) has make a noticeable improvement in the clarity of the sound. Soundstage changed slightly (opened up), but it's definitely the clarity in things that I notice...the speed has changed a little bit as well with the addition. Over all nice! Though probably not as big as if I was reclocking.
                                          -Dan

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                            Mad Max Moderator
                                            • Aug 2000

Originally posted by mjb
                                            I purchased Fidelia a couple of weeks ago, and must say it really does sound way better than itunes. Highly recommended, and available in the AppStore. Vox is also very good, small, light weight, and suports FLAC.

BTW, XLD is probably the best Mac ripper out there
                                            Plus 1 to all the above, as a user of Audirvana and Fidelia and XLD.
                                            the AudioWorx
                                            Natalie P
                                            M8ta
                                            Modula Neo DCC
                                            Modula MT XE
                                            Modula Xtreme
                                            Isiris
                                            Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                            Minerva Monitor
                                            Calliope
                                            Ardent D

In Development...
                                            Obi-Wan
                                            Modula PWB
                                            Calliope CC Supreme
                                            Natalie P Ultra
                                            Natalie P Supreme
                                            Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• mjb
                                              Super Senior Member
                                              • Mar 2005

Mac Mini and iDSD Nano, connected via USB:

Running Fidelia and/or Audivana+, with music as FLAC files on an external hard drive:

Sometimes, I might listen via HDMI and the SSP-800 instead
                                              - Mike

Main System:
                                              B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS

Comment

• wkhanna
                                                • Jan 2006

Sweet! :T

That Classe gear never looses it's good looks (not to mention it's good sound).:W
                                                _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• PewterTA
                                                  • Nov 2004

Surprised you said that Bill as there's not enough black for that Classe to sound good. Ha ha ha.

Inside Joke with Bill as he is positive all black geared equipment sounds better than anything with silver.
                                                  -Dan

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                    Mad Max Moderator
                                                    • Aug 2000

Originally posted by PewterTA
                                                    Surprised you said that Bill as there's not enough black for that Classe to sound good. Ha ha ha.

Inside Joke with Bill as he is positive all black geared equipment sounds better than anything with silver.
                                                    That is so, so wrong! Silver gear has more airy, open high frequencies, and a more transparent image reproduction! Why do you think all my Cambridge Audio and TotalDAC gear are the silver versions? And fortunately, the boys at NAD know this too, and that's why the Mastersound series is silver! :W
                                                    the AudioWorx
                                                    Natalie P
                                                    M8ta
                                                    Modula Neo DCC
                                                    Modula MT XE
                                                    Modula Xtreme
                                                    Isiris
                                                    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                    Minerva Monitor
                                                    Calliope
                                                    Ardent D

In Development...
                                                    Obi-Wan
                                                    Modula PWB
                                                    Calliope CC Supreme
                                                    Natalie P Ultra
                                                    Natalie P Supreme
                                                    Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• wkhanna
                                                      • Jan 2006

Such treasonous hearsay!

You had better hope The Chancellor never gets reports of this malicious propaganda against Imperial edict. :#
                                                      _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Chancellor
                                                        • Jan 2010

So sad that someone so gifted in some matters can be so completely mistaken...

Do not let it disturb you, William, it is undoubtedly just some Jedai affectation on Jonmarsh's part... lose not your faith in the Dark Side, it will always serve you well! I have foreseen this, in your case, there is much potential yet to be realized...

Comment

• wkhanna
                                                          • Jan 2006

My loyalty to you, Chancellor, remains ardent & eternal.

Your mercy regarding Jonmash & other wayward servants as their weak will is temporarily swayed by the mischievous doings of Jedi influence works only to our advantage as all their valuable work on Imperial projects continues to be held secret from Rebel forces.

All hail the power of the Dark Side!

Let us never forget that black is back.
                                                          _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• madmac
                                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                                            • Aug 2010

Silver anything sounds better !
                                                            Dan Madden :T

Comment

• wkhanna
                                                              • Jan 2006

Wise it is not, my young padawan, to provoke the wrath of the Dark Side.
                                                              _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• roncomposer
                                                                • Aug 2016

I was using Dune HD max + Onkyo TX-NR616 as my 5.1 setup.

Comment

• vneal
                                                                  • Jan 2017

JRiver 22 on the laptop which sincs with the
                                                                  Sony HAP Z1ES media player
                                                                  B&W CM10,
                                                                  B&W CM Centre 2S2
                                                                  B&W CM S2
                                                                  JL Audio F110 V2
                                                                  McIntosh MC207
                                                                  Sony HAP Z1 ES
                                                                  OPPO 105D
                                                                  Emotiva UMC 200
                                                                  Pro-JEct SE 5.1
                                                                  PAarasound Phono Pre
                                                                  Furman Elite 15 P
                                                                  Kimber 8TC -Heros IC

Comment

• Alaric
                                                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                                                    • Jan 2006

My digital gear consists of a Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 7 motherboard (with upgradeable op amp!) and a separate quad core audio processor from Creative, and my trusty Marantz SA 8260 SACD player, which still does a great job with Redbook CDs as well. Motherboard details if anyone cares. http://www.gigabyte.com/products/pro...px?pid=5481#ov
                                                                    Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                                                                    Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                                                                    Schiit Modi 3
                                                                    Marantz CD5005
                                                                    Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• ducakrugs
                                                                      Junior Member
                                                                      • Dec 2018

I am new to the forum ' but have been into audio for quite a while. For starters I would like to say hello to everyone and that I have a very old NAD 5120 that I listen to vinyl on with a NAD phono stage..
                                                                      As far as digital goes I like watching films ' Netflix etc where my audio system does a pretty good job even though it is quite old and only a 2 channel system... The system is at the heart a Bryston 4b NRB and a Threshold T300 preamplifier from the early nineties. My computer is connected to my tv a little HP 800 ELITE and I use Tidal for music files .. I don't have a library of FLAC files and find Tidal convenient access and quality wise. The computer feeds into a first generation Chord Hugo DAC..The sound produced is fed to a pair of Bower & Wilkins 803N loudspeakers which sound fabulous t my ears... Here is a photo of the system minus the record deck as my son has borrowed it as they do...

Attached Files

Comment

• wkhanna
                                                                        • Jan 2006

Welcome to the family!!!

that is some great equipment, i am sure it sounds V good....:T
                                                                        _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Ovation
                                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                                          • Sep 2004
                                                                          • 2202

Originally posted by Ovation
                                                                          Mine is very basic. I have music stored in iTunes in Apple Lossless (ripped from CDs), mostly (a few things of lesser importance--one hit wonder type stuff--are just bought from iTunes in their lossy format). I stream from my iTunes library wirelessly to my living room 2 channel via Airport Express (connected to my AVR via toslink) and to my HT AVR (connected in the same way). Works fine for me. When I want to do "critical listening" (the time for which seems to be diminishing day by day, sadly), I pull out the shiny disc.
                                                                          Five and half years later and I've made exactly ONE "digital" addition to my gear--a Schitt Modi2 Uber DAC a few years ago (though mostly as a digital switch box for my headphone setup--accompanying a Magni2 Uber amp). Sorry for letting the team down in terms of gear acquisition.

Comment

• wkhanna
                                                                            • Jan 2006
                                                                            • 5673

Originally posted by Ovation
                                                                            Sorry for letting the team down in terms of gear acquisition.
                                                                            no worries, it only means you hit your 'sweet spot'....:W
                                                                            _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Burke Strickland
                                                                              Moderator
                                                                              • Sep 2001
                                                                              • 3161

#39
                                                                              List your digital gear:

- Left hand (five digits)
                                                                              - Right hand (five digits)

Both of them work effectively to operate the controls of my analog gear.

Ok, I also have an Oppo BDP-105 which has a great DAC for playing computer-based music files, while also offering outstanding two channel analog playback (after digitally decoding digital music disks).

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• orbifold
                                                                                Member
                                                                                • Jun 2006
                                                                                • 70

#40
                                                                                Mine is pretty simple also. WAV & dot-aiff files ripped via XLD (I agree. The Best!) I do have a passable shelf of the shiny "big black cd's" as my wife's students - manly from the Central American countries, call them. These I wistfully plan on ripping so they can go on my 1T android. "Some day." This all USED to go via toslink to the Denon 3806 > Bheringer A500 power > 2.1 speakers. (4ohm speaks require 4ohm helper) These are HTG diy's, the ones from the huge 50 page build of Dayton RS 3 ways if you recall? 2007 or so... Video also went to a Panny Viera 42". A PS3 is also in the picture, but I have never been a able to stream thru it without interruptions. I blame Verizon.
                                                                                Anyway the video died on my 27" I Mac. **it happens. I now have a new, 13" Mac Air and my 2tb external with all the music, but no transfer capability, only two tiny usb-c's.
                                                                                Am actively looking for a piece to fix that for $$, not $$$$, right? Yes, suggestions welcome. The Mac had a s/pdif via the headphone jack which was optical. Forget about that, as far as I can see. �� I must mention the Project Debut lll, which will be getting an Acrylic plate and an Orto 2M Red when I'm back in action. (I also plan on diy-ing a TT stand out of 3 foot 3/4" yellow threaded rod, and heavy southern yellow pine laminated shelves with a lacqer finish (!)) In my opinion, black or silver, good audio is definitely helped by beauty...
                                                                                Don't fight, don't argue... If you stay healthy and wait by the river, you'll see all your enemies float by, one by one!

Anonymous

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                                                  Mad Max Moderator
                                                                                  • Aug 2000
                                                                                  • 15259

#41
                                                                                  A synopsis of evolution...

Ok, this is a good idea to have this info collected in one spot; however, trying to list the setup can be confusing and out of date quickly, as things evolve and change, and in some cases, I'm just recently getting ready to retrofit features I gave up temporarily when doing an equipment swap with a close former colleague a couple of years ago... (is it a clue that you have a different perspective when a couple of years ago now, seems more like a couple of months ago when I was in my 30's?)

This illustration I posted from 2016 still has a lot of relevancy... up to a point.

I have all of these pieces, but due to changes in life's circumstances and living like a gypsy the last 3-4 years (always in what was basically "temporary housing" and unwilling to setup the full system) this has been in storage for some time.

So, this is basically correct, except that I now have a Signature Rendu, in addition to the micro Rendu. And a few other bits and pieces...

This should all start getting setup again in the new digs sometime this spring.

After the Alpha USB, will come a Brainstorm DCD8 again, for reclocking the AES-EBU signal.

This will have an LPRS10 10MHz Rubidium oscillator as a master logic clock connected externally.

My latest implementation has a very high grade linear supply, though.

"Budget DAC" to feed HT grade system is a Denafrips Terminator precision R2R ladder DAC, with upgrades from factory:

And still stashed away in storage, my TotalDAC D2, fully balanced converters and output.

the AudioWorx
                                                                                  Natalie P
                                                                                  M8ta
                                                                                  Modula Neo DCC
                                                                                  Modula MT XE
                                                                                  Modula Xtreme
                                                                                  Isiris
                                                                                  Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                                                  Minerva Monitor
                                                                                  Calliope
                                                                                  Ardent D

In Development...
                                                                                  Obi-Wan
                                                                                  Modula PWB
                                                                                  Calliope CC Supreme
                                                                                  Natalie P Ultra
                                                                                  Natalie P Supreme
                                                                                  Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Ovation
                                                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                                                    • Sep 2004
                                                                                    • 2202

#42
                                                                                    I have (relatively) recently acquired a very basic NAD Wireless USB DAC 2 for a very modest sum (100$ CDN). I use it to feed audio from my laptop (mostly from Apple Music--this is a convenience first set up in my workspace, not intended as the pinnacle of digital audio by any means) to my semi-vintage 2 channel setup: Yamaha C-45 pre-amp (circa 1985), Marantz DV6400 SACD/DVD-A/CD player (circa 2003), Aiwa ADF-800 cassette deck (circa 1992), Sony MDS-JE480 MiniDisc player/recorder (circa 2003), Emotiva BasX A-100 amp (circa 2016), PSB Imagine Bs (circa 2011). Exceedingly simple to set up, very basic, does the job.

(Yes, I do still play MiniDiscs and cassettes--have accumulated too much good music on each to abandon the formats [a lot of radio recordings that are not otherwise available]) The only thing left to add to this setup is decidedly analogue (so I will discuss it in the appropriate thread when I get it--a restored Garrand turntable with 78rpm playback for the stacks of 78s currently in storage at my parents' home).

Comment

Working...
                                                                                    😀
                                                                                    😂
                                                                                    🥰
                                                                                    😘
                                                                                    🤢
                                                                                    😎
                                                                                    😞
                                                                                    😡
                                                                                    👍
                                                                                    👎
                                                                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                    Search Result for "|||"