Need a new BD player with streaming (Amazon Prime, Hulu etc). and component video

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kevin P
    • Aug 2000

Need a new BD player with streaming (Amazon Prime, Hulu etc). and component video

Although my 9 year old Sony BDP-S570 still works flawlessly, it's obsolete... as in more and more streaming services don't work on it. Amazon Prime Video is scheduled to end support for my player in late September. It also doesn't support Hulu at all, and with the Orville moving there for season 3, I'll need something that can stream Hulu.

The other catch, is I need something with component video, which seems harder to come by these days. My system is ancient (from 2005) and I can't afford to upgrade my pre-pro at this time.

If I'm going to buy a new BD player, I may as well get a UHD 4K player to be a little more future proof as I upgrade other components down the road, but this isn't critical. My Panny plasma only supports 720p anyway, and I don't plan on replacing it until it dies. I don't know if any of these support component (obviously not for 1080p and higher).

Now I don't have to stream though a BD player, but it's nice to have both functions in one component. I could buy a separate streaming box like a Roku, but those are generally HDMI only as well.

Suggestions? I looked on Sony's site (usually where I go for BD players) but they don't seem to have ones with component video or streaming anymore.

Thanks...
  • Alaric
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Jan 2006

I don't have anything useful on BD players, but have you tried newegg? They carry a lot of stuff and may have something useful.
    Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
    Marantz PM-KI Pearl
    Schiit Modi 3
    Marantz CD5005
    Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
      Super Senior Member
      • Mar 2006

Component video is obsolete. You are not going to find anything new with it.
      Kal Rubinson

Comment

• Norm
        • Mar 2011

Agreed that component video outs are obsolete. Deleting them saves the manufacturer cost in the build and closed the 'analog gate' was part of the High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection (HDCP) scheme.

Perhaps one of these is the answer between a new smart disk spinner and Kevin's plasma TV.
        Currently, the best hdmi to component converter is the Universal Premium H2CS. Wiki researchers have been writing reviews of the latest hdmi to component converters since 2018.

I also intend to keep my Panasonic plasma as long as possible. As a second to last generation unit is does have HDMI, alas it is starting to be glitchy about turning on, they run so hot this is not a 25 year lifespan device. Basically cooking itself whenever it is on. I'm impressed Kevin's older pre-HDMI unit is hanging in, perhaps the older thicker cases have better thermal management.

Comment

• Kevin P
          • Aug 2000

My plasma does have an HDMI card in it, I bought it when I bought the set... it's a display monitor (not TV) from 2005... maybe a commercial model with a more robust PSU and thermal management. Works without a hitch. The issue isn't the plasma, it's my pre-pro which lacks HDMI altogether.

I came up with a rather indirect solution. I wanted a smaller TV for a spare room which I'm going to use for exercise and yoga, so I ordered a TCL 32" with built in Roku. I can stream pretty much anything on that. I could watch Orville and shows on Amazon on that... I could even move it to the living room and connect it via optical to my pre-pro if I wanted to watch something through the theater, albeit on a smaller screen.

Now that I've pretty much completed the (costly) financial aspects of my separation, I should be financially better off next year and I can do some upgrades to the main system, especially a new pre-pro.

P.S. I added the premium HDMI to Component converter listed in Norm's link above to my Amazon wish list, in case I do decide to add a streaming box or new BD player to my system before I upgrade my pre-pro. Thanks guys.

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
            Super Senior Member
            • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Kevin P
            My plasma does have an HDMI card in it, I bought it when I bought the set... it's a display monitor (not TV) from 2005... maybe a commercial model with a more robust PSU and thermal management. Works without a hitch. The issue isn't the plasma, it's my pre-pro which lacks HDMI altogether.
            How about something like this: https://www.essenceelectrostatic.com...1-channel-dac/

You can use the HDMI input for whatever HDMI source you acquire, the HDMI output directly to your plasma and the analog or TOSlink outputs for your audio needs.
            Kal Rubinson

Comment

• Kevin P
              • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Kal Rubinson
              How about something like this: https://www.essenceelectrostatic.com...1-channel-dac/

You can use the HDMI input for whatever HDMI source you acquire, the HDMI output directly to your plasma and the analog or TOSlink outputs for your audio needs.
              That's a possibility too, but instead of buying multiple boxes to adapt signal formats, which will then be obsolete when I do replace the pre-pro, I'll just replace the pre-pro... I can survive while I save up for a year... though that box would give me high-res audio with my existing pre... now if it had 2 HDMI Ins for my BD + a streaming box...

I should verify the HDMI card in my plasma actually works... never used it... before I buy anything.

Comment

• Alaric
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Jan 2006

Nuts! I forgot you were looking for a BD player. I got all excited about the output selection on this https://www.amazon.com/Marantz-Profe...ateway&sr=8-33

Back to the drawing board...
                Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                Schiit Modi 3
                Marantz CD5005
                Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• Kevin P
                  • Aug 2000

Well, I think this thread has run its course anyway. I'll just live with what I have... I have a new TV I can stream from if I really need to, though it's not part of the HT. Bigger upgrades are down the road... way down.

Comment

• Lex
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Apr 2001

One of the reasons I got a new 4K projector was?

Drum roll:

I am trying to shut down outside vendors like Directv, or Comcast TV in my home, and get back to my roots, watching Blu rays and DVDs. I have not I admit gotten into the near 500 deep archives of my 480p dvd movies, but I have been down blu ray memory lane, and using Amazon Prime for various levels of video, I really enjoyed the woman from Castle Stana Katic in her series (2 seasons on prime). So, there is entertainment out there, I don't have to pay 120.00 a month for, ,and that my friends is mostly total crap these days. I admit I like HGTV some, an DIY, but at the end of the day, that is observing, not immersing into a video experience like a James Bond movie, or Mission Impossible even... I still have a decent Sanyo 1080p projector with component in, and sources with it. One of the benefits of being an old curmudgeon. I have multiple DVD players, even HDDVD (2), so if I am not having fun now, I will look for fun elsewhere. lol.

That said, I am going to limit my expenditures into the future after this 4K UHD PJ I bought. Love the quality so far!
                    Doug
                    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    😂
                    🥰
                    😘
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😞
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"