Oppo Digital to stop selling new products.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hdale85
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

Oppo Digital to stop selling new products.

Just saw this on the facebook feed this morning.

Based in the heart of Silicon Valley, OPPO Digital designs and markets high quality digital electronics that deliver style, performance, innovation, and value to A/V enthusiasts and savvy consumers alike. The company's attention to core product performance and strong customer focus distinguishes it from traditional consumer-electronics brands.
  • Kevin P
    • Aug 2000

That's a bummer. They always seemed to have great products. I have long considered Oppo as my next BD or UHD BD player... just no money to upgrade at this time.

I wonder what other brands have similar quality for the price.

Comment

• Hdale85
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2006

Apparently they have some sort of ties to the Chinese government so they are affected by the new trade tarrifs. At least that's what I've heard/read else where.

Comment

• Ovation
        Super Senior Member
        • Sep 2004

Well, that's a bummer. At first I thought it might be an elaborate April Fool's Joke, but no. I'm not in any position to go UHD (unless lotto winnings fall in my lap) for another 3-5 years, so I'm not going to rush to grab one now. Guess the Sony X800 player moves higher on my (future) list--or its equivalent. The Sony has all the audio options I want (SACD and, surprisingly, DVD-A) and isn't too expensive. But I had been looking forward to whatever Oppo had when I was ready to upgrade. Oh well, still have my BDP-83 for SACD/DVD-A/CD playback (have region-free Sony 3-D Blu-ray player for movies).

Comment

• Alaric
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Hdale85
          Apparently they have some sort of ties to the Chinese government so they are affected by the new trade tarrifs. At least that's what I've heard/read else where.

Every Chinese company has ties to the Chinese government. China's desire to be one of the big boys will do the job, though. China wants what we have and they can't have it unless they do things the way the West does things. They think they can get Western style income with communist business practices and it will never happen. In the last 20 years China has developed scores of multi-millionaires and billionaires. The more money that's in private hands, the faster the shift to a market driven economy.

Look at it this way: The Chinese people can no longer be insulated from the rest of the world's existence. Over a billion Chinese have started asking uncomfortable questions like "Where is my car?" Where is my disposable income?", and the one that will probably fell the last great communist empire-"Where's MY f*&#! iPhone???" Oppo will be back.
          Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
          Marantz PM-KI Pearl
          Schiit Modi 3
          Marantz CD5005
          Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• Hdale85
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2006

Well there are some Chinese companies that aren't going to be effected so I'm not sure.

Comment

• bigburner
              Super Senior Member
              • May 2005

A more likely explanation is the rapid expansion of cheap streaming media players. Sales and rentals of discs have fallen over the past few years and will continue to fall. Consumers now prefer to watch video through their streaming media players, not their disc players.

Nigel.

Comment

• Ovation
                Super Senior Member
                • Sep 2004

Originally posted by bigburner
                A more likely explanation is the rapid expansion of cheap streaming media players. Sales and rentals of discs have fallen over the past few years and will continue to fall. Consumers now prefer to watch video through their streaming media players, not their disc players.

Nigel.
                I suspect their decision to drop various streaming apps from their latest models, despite the ubiquitous presence of such apps on TVs, other devices like AppleTV, Roku, etc., created an impression of obsolescence for some potential buyers. Another big factor, IMO, is the price. The players, while not outrageously expensive compared to much "high-end" gear (even rather inexpensive in relative terms), are considerably more expensive than the average consumer is willing to pay. I paid 700$ in 2001 for a DVD player, at a time when they could easily be had for half as much--because I wanted the DVD-A capability found in the Panasonic model (built like a tank, incidentally) I had chosen. NO ONE in my circle of friends and family could understand why I would want to spend that kind of money (they still wonder when it comes to my current gear--gear that is quite modest by enthusiast standards). The same applies today, except where I was paying twice the typical rate, the OPPOs represent up to five times the typical rate. The same pressures that drove Pioneer out of plasma TVs, despite making the best ones on the market, are clearly at play here with OPPO.

Comment

• Hdale85
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Jan 2006

Nigel, the announcement came right after the announcement of the trade tariffs. Considering they were already at the upper end of the market inflating prices further due to import taxes likely would make people less interested I'm guessing.

Comment

• Ovation
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Hdale85
                    Nigel, the announcement came right after the announcement of the trade tariffs. Considering they were already at the upper end of the market inflating prices further due to import taxes likely would make people less interested I'm guessing.
                    If the tariffs were enough to tip them into ceasing operations, then their profit margins were unsustainably low. The vast bulk of these proposed tariffs have not yet been applied, many of them are at least months, if not a year or two, away from being implemented--should there be no reversal (historically, in the post-WWII period, threats of tariffs have been far more common than actual implementations). This is not to suggest the tariffs played a role in the decision, but it does suggest they were already in a precarious position without the tariffs.

Comment

• Lex
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Apr 2001

It's probably a reduction in sale of Blu Rays more than anything, but who knows for sure. I have a couple of bd players, one being the first one Sony produced, slow, yes, but still a nice machine.
                      Doug
                      "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• kmak
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Dec 2002

Personally, I haven't bought a BluRay disc for years. My Pioneer Elite BD player just doesn't get much use, which is a shame. I've fallen into the streaming/convenience trap..........

Comment

• Ovation
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Sep 2004

I'm still buying discs (even the occasional UHD when the price is very close to the BD--they come with BDs I can use now and UHD I can use later). However, seems my choices of player will be more limited than in the old days. Oh well.

Comment

• Alaric
                            Ultra Senior Member
                            • Jan 2006

My player will be an ODD in my computer (also my HTPC/daily driver/gaming rig) and Nero.
                            Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                            Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                            Schiit Modi 3
                            Marantz CD5005
                            Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• technodanvan
                              • Nov 2009

For most things I just stick with digital nowadays, but there are a few exceptions to that rule:

1. Anime: I don't buy a lot of this, but all digital variants I have seen are either an English dub OR Japanese with subtitles. I'd prefer to have both, because I'm a nerd. This is a pretty limited selection though, since most anime is watch it once and never see it again (for me). Cowboy Bebop would be one of those exceptions. Regular Blu-Ray is fine for these since most are old and low-ish resolution.

2. Movies that I anticipate watching for years to come. This is also a pretty limited set, but would include most Marvel movies, Star Wars, potentially Star Trek, LOTR, and a few others here and there. That said, I'm only interested in buying these in 'final' sets (if that even means anything anymore). 4K HDR and a nice box and stuff. Basically none of my favorite movies meet those requirements right now, which is great since I don't really have any other equipment to support it anyhow.

I'll admit - I was one of the people allowed to purchase an Oppo UDP-205, and I was also one of those people that turned around and sold it for profit. I'm not sure I regret that decision given the circumstances at the time, but it was really a nice looking piece of hardware. I don't know what I would replace it with now, but the focus would probably be more for CDs/SACDs than Blu Rays.
                              - Danny

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                Mad Max Moderator
                                • Aug 2000

This is so funny to come across this topic... I just finally got around to unpacking my very late model OPPO UHD 4K Blu Ray player bought partly as a hedge for future video use but also because I have an AudioPraise hardware board set I bought that plugs right in in place of the original analog board, and an provide PCM multichannel output from any audio source, including SACD disks. So, while this would make a great video machine for my needs in my audio/video den with the Epson 4K projector I have, I have decisions to make about how I do that. I could use the AudioPraise PCM conversion board, and just connect to a couple of DACs for local output... or, reserve it for video.

Decisions, decisions.

And this is another example of what I tell my friends is my story of delayed gratification, due to the various events since 2016. I'm unpacking a lot of items that have been tucked away in storage for years, literally. Partly because many are specialized enough that it was very possible I wouldn't be able to buy them later. And that has proven to be the case...
                                the AudioWorx
                                Natalie P
                                M8ta
                                Modula Neo DCC
                                Modula MT XE
                                Modula Xtreme
                                Isiris
                                Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                Minerva Monitor
                                Calliope
                                Ardent D

In Development...
                                Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                                Obi-Wan
                                Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                                Modula PWB
                                Calliope CC Supreme
                                Natalie P Ultra
                                Natalie P Supreme
                                Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                                Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• theSven
                                  Master of None
                                  • Jan 2014

Originally posted by JonMarsh
                                  This is so funny to come across this topic... I just finally got around to unpacking my very late model OPPO UHD 4K Blu Ray player bought partly as a hedge for future video use but also because I have an AudioPraise hardware board set I bought that plugs right in in place of the original analog board, and an provide PCM multichannel output from any audio source, including SACD disks. So, while this would make a great video machine for my needs in my audio/video den with the Epson 4K projector I have, I have decisions to make about how I do that. I could use the AudioPraise PCM conversion board, and just connect to a couple of DACs for local output... or, reserve it for video.

Decisions, decisions.

And this is another example of what I tell my friends is my story of delayed gratification, due to the various events since 2016. I'm unpacking a lot of items that have been tucked away in storage for years, literally. Partly because many are specialized enough that it was very possible I wouldn't be able to buy them later. And that has proven to be the case...
                                  Talk about some amazing planning ahead and not even knowing that it would be that great to have!
                                  Painter in training

Comment

Working...
                                  😀
                                  😂
                                  🥰
                                  😘
                                  🤢
                                  😎
                                  😞
                                  😡
                                  👍
                                  👎
                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                  Search Result for "|||"