• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • madmac
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2010

Burn BD's !

Hey all,

I've been using Slysoft's "Clone DVD" program for years to burn DVD's and now it looks like they have created a "Clone BD" program that lets you burn or back up your BD's using a BD burner! NICE ! :T
    Dan Madden :T
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Huh... so you could make copies of movies for friends?

Bet the movie companies don't like that.
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville

Comment

• madmac
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Chris D
      Huh... so you could make copies of movies for friends?

Bet the movie companies don't like that.
      Nowadays, most of my younger friends are downloading their movies now from various sites (Torrent and other risky sites). I don't do that, but it would be nice to be able to back up some of my favorite BD's. Case in point......One time I dropped my benchmark and favorite BD concert "Chris Botti live in Boston" and the center hole had developed a little crack in it. Game over! The disc no longer worked! It was a very sad day considering it would cost me around 30 bucks to buy another one. If I had the ability, I would have backed that one up for sure! Here in Canada, fair use says that we can back up software once we've bought it. Is there room for abuse here? Absolutely!

Comment

• Chris D
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Dec 2000

FWIW, I have a new laptop coming from Dell. Seems like the standard nowadays is not to include an optical drive in laptops, so I have an external USB 3.0 BD-burner coming. Probably going to be here today.
        CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• madmac
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Chris D
          FWIW, I have a new laptop coming from Dell. Seems like the standard nowadays is not to include an optical drive in laptops, so I have an external USB 3.0 BD-burner coming. Probably going to be here today.
          Is it a BD burner ??

Comment

• Chris D
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Dec 2000

This is what I got. I don't know what the M-Disc is, but it looks interesting. I'm installing it right now as we speak in my new laptop

CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• madmac
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2010

Very cool Chris! Let me know how this writer works out? How much did it cost? Per the "Clone BD" software, you need a fair amount of juice and free storage to write/ copy BD discs. I'm pretty sure my little Netbook could not support it. Also, I imagine it would take a fair amount of time to burn a full length BD movie. For me, it takes about 30mins to complete a DVD burn so I would imagine it would take a few hours or more to burn a BD disc.

Comment

• Chris D
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Dec 2000

It was about $80 USD on amazon. I'm not anticipating doing much burning with it, much less BD, but I'll let you know how it goes. It connected just fine last night, but I haven't done anything with it yet.
                CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• bigburner
                  Super Senior Member
                  • May 2005

I rip my Blu-ray concerts to an external hard drive and play them via the USB port on my OPPO. I don't do this for backup purposes because in my experience DVD and Blu-ray discs seem to be virtually indestructible. I do it so that I can easily find the music I want when I want it. Most of my music is stored in my study because I don't have enough shelving in my viewing room (our sitting room) and my wife doesn't want it to look like a video rental shop. Accessing music from a hard drive is so much easier than searching for discs, especially after I've had a few glasses of wine. Unfortunately my OPPO doesn't support the playback of standard DVDs ripped to a hard drive, so my viewing of standard DVDs tends to be planned in advance rather than spontaneous.

Nigel.

Comment

• madmac
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2010

Nigel, when you rip the BD's to your hard drive do you do it bit for bit (ie..no compression?). That's a cool idea and it also eliminates the possibility of damaging the original disc. I've had very few issues with BD discs skipping or not working (Except for my Chris Botti disc damage debacle!). However, DVD's are another matter. I've had piles of problems with rented DVD's.....especially one's rented from my library! I don't know what people do with them but as always, I inspect the DVD's rented before I insert them in my player and some of the stuff I've seen is baffling to me! Other than greasy pop corn fingerprints and such, the worst is what I call 'crop circles' of the disc. These are basically round scratch circles that have been scratched onto the disc. How this happens is a bit of a mystery to me. It's almost like part of the drawer or the laser assembly of the person's player was rubbing against the disc during play that has resulted in rounded scratches on it! No amount of cleaning can get rid of them because they are indeed scratched into the disc. Most players will malfunction and skip when discs have these scratches on them. It's very annoying when your player freezes and skips tracks because of this!

Comment

• PewterTA
                      • Nov 2004

I love Slysoft's AnyDVD HD, I have ripped all my DVDs, HDDVDs, and Blurays to my server for playback on my HTPCs. To me, it's my movies... I should be able to add them to my server as I see fit. I don't see any reason why I should not be able to. I figure this also gives me a backup and easier access to the movies I want to watch. Then I'm not using the discs and having them get scratched or broken or whatever. If some place allowed you to download the full bluray... honestly I'd do that over buying the physical media... I don't need it physically, I'm beyond that. But I do want the ability to have it on my hardware (vs. streaming it). I have no issues with streaming, but if I'm purchasing it, I think I should have it... not be "renting it" from a streaming service that when I don't have a good connection I can't get to it.

Plus Kodi is such a great program for movies, who wouldn't want to use it.
                      Digital Audio makes me Happy.
                      -Dan

Comment

• crytklmass
                        • Dec 2008

I use slysoft as well to rip blu rays and 3d blu rays to my htpc. I don't have to worry about my children destroying my discs with fingerprints, scratches or food products. I then burn the movies I want to blu rays or 3d blu ray disc using IMGBURN (free). That way if they ruin a disc its NOT my original disc. Of course buying blank 3d blu ray discs is a bit more expensive.
                        BOB

Comment

• madmac
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2010

Slysoft has recently introduced a 'clone BD' program for ripping BD discs. I have never burned a BD but I am curious how long it takes to do it. Something tells me it's a start the burn and walk away affair!!?

Comment

• Alaric
                            Ultra Senior Member
                            • Jan 2006

the worst is what I call 'crop circles' of the disc. These are basically round scratch circles that have been scratched onto the disc. How this happens is a bit of a mystery to me.
                            A finger wrapped in the tail of a tee shirt and the dishwashing motion. I've seen my ex do it many times. Just in case the dust and debris haven't thoroughly scratched the disc , that should finish it. :roll:

This is a nifty utility for recovering info from damaged discs. http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/deta...lbox_free.html
                            I've used it many times and had good results. Definitely worth a try if you have a hard to replace disc that is giving problems. Lots of neat stuff on that site , too , and all safe. I've been downloading from Major Geeks since 2005 and never had an issue with malware.
                            Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                            Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                            Schiit Modi 3
                            Marantz CD5005
                            Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• madmac
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Alaric
                              A finger wrapped in the tail of a tee shirt and the dishwashing motion. I've seen my ex do it many times. Just in case the dust and debris haven't thoroughly scratched the disc , that should finish it. :roll:

This is a nifty utility for recovering info from damaged discs. http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/deta...lbox_free.html
                              I've used it many times and had good results. Definitely worth a try if you have a hard to replace disc that is giving problems. Lots of neat stuff on that site , too , and all safe. I've been downloading from Major Geeks since 2005 and never had an issue with malware.
                              I've had some good results polishing discs with Armour All too !!!

Comment

• madmac
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Alaric

I've had some good results polishing discs with Armour All too !!!

Comment

• crytklmass
                                  • Dec 2008

Originally posted by madmac
                                  Slysoft has recently introduced a 'clone BD' program for ripping BD discs. I have never burned a BD but I am curious how long it takes to do it. Something tells me it's a start the burn and walk away affair!!?
                                  Why pay Slysoft when IMGburn is free? Just rip to an ISO.
                                  It takes about 15-30 min to burn a standard Blu Ray and about 30-45 min for 3D Movies. It all depends on the size and your p.c.
                                  BOB

Comment

Working...
                                  😀
                                  😂
                                  🥰
                                  😘
                                  🤢
                                  😎
                                  😞
                                  😡
                                  👍
                                  👎
                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                  Search Result for "|||"