X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • madmac
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2010

Oppo DV981HD

Well folks, my Oppo dvd player has crapped out once again. I was watching dvd episodes of "The Mentalist" last night and when the last episode was done.....poof!!. The display started showing what looks like Egyptian writing gobbly goop. Won't play and cannot even pop the tray to get the dvd out. Watched some more episodes on my PS3 and was quite impressed at how close it comes to the Oppo. Not as good but close. The player was repaired once before by Oppo and it has lasted around 2 years and has now pooped out once again.

This is rather bothersome for me because it is supposed to be somewhat of a premium player. Last time it pooped out, it was out of warranty and I screamed at Oppo and they agreed to fix it for free. I'm on the fence as to whether to scream again or just toss it. What are your thoughts on this???. :roll:
    Dan Madden :T
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

Mmmm, DVD Player? Don't you think it may be time to move on? You know that the transport has a limited lifetime without service due to the operating lifetime of the optical pickup? I had a top of the line Sony ES CD player in the 90's that I just squeaked under the end of the 5 year warranty to get repaired, but I played it a LOT. DVD optical pickups don't last as long (inherent in the different laser type), and Blu-Ray /HD DVD even less time before they need replacement.

OK, this is the elite-ist viewpoint, and won't be appreciated by many. How many years old is your DV981HD? I had an Oppo DVD player at one time, too, though I gave it away, and due to my work schedule even then, didn't have much time for watching stuff on it...
    the AudioWorx
    Natalie P
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• kcsun
      • Jan 2012

If it has beentwo years since it was repaired and was out of warranty then, the unit must be 4-5 years old, time to move on

And
      Its more fun trying to decide what model you will replace it with!!

kc
      Arcam avr600, Sky HD 2Tb, Oppo 103D, Sony VPL-VW500ES, Phillips large Pronto pro remote
      B&W 803Di speakers, B&W HTM2Di centre speaker, B&W 7NT in wall rear speakers, B&W ASW1000 Sub

Comment

• madmac
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2010

Originally posted by JonMarsh
        Mmmm, DVD Player? Don't you think it may be time to move on? You know that the transport has a limited lifetime without service due to the operating lifetime of the optical pickup? I had a top of the line Sony ES CD player in the 90's that I just squeaked under the end of the 5 year warranty to get repaired, but I played it a LOT. DVD optical pickups don't last as long (inherent in the different laser type), and Blu-Ray /HD DVD even less time before they need replacement.

OK, this is the elite-ist viewpoint, and won't be appreciated by many. How many years old is your DV981HD? I had an Oppo DVD player at one time, too, though I gave it away, and due to my work schedule even then, didn't have much time for watching stuff on it...
        Ok, so why does my Sony dvd/player/recorder still work today and it's way older and got lots of play time. Also, my Marantz CD player is even waaaay older than that and plays perfect after 13 years or so in heavy usage??!!. Most electronic components are VERY reliable nowadays. The Oppo has let me down 2 times now. Very sad. I think I'm just going to stick with my PS3 for dvd and BD playback. I will write Oppo to stress my disappointment though. :x

Comment

• Kevin P
          • Aug 2000

The Oppo Blu Ray players get great reviews. Sounds like it's time for an upgrade.

Comment

• Chris D
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Dec 2000

I had the original Oppo unit back in the day. Epitomized bare-bones cheap player. They've come a long way since then.
            CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
            - Pleasantville

Comment

• madmac
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Kevin P
              The Oppo Blu Ray players get great reviews. Sounds like it's time for an upgrade.

Don't get me wrong Kevin, the Oppo player produced an amazing upscaled picture on my monitor. Even after all these years, it never failed to impress me. A little more reliability would be nice though. It seems the higher end components seem to fail faster than the cheap stuff for some reason!!

Comment

• bigburner
                Super Senior Member
                • May 2005

Hi Dan,

I agree with other HTG members and think you should look at Oppo Blu-ray players.

It may make you feel better about Oppo to divide the price of your DV981HD by the number of days that you've owned it!

Nigel.

Comment

• madmac
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2010

An interesting footnote!!. After some careful video adjustments to my PS3, I have achieved a truly remarkable picture which dare I say, is coming so close to my Oppo as to be irrelevant to my eyes at this point. Good by Oppo.......I'll miss you but I won't miss the reliability issues. I must say also that I like the Bluetooth remote way more too!!. In a sense, the Playstation was being way underused so now I get to run it much more often. I must say, the PS3 is quite the piece of hardware!!.

Comment

• Chris D
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Dec 2000

Heheee... My PS3 is still my only BD player, like 9 years after I bought it!?!
                    CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• madmac
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2010

The PS3 has, and will always be an exceptional BD player. When my Marantz gives up the ghost, I will consider buying Oppo's new flagship, audiophile BD player for a $1000+ bones!!. However, if that unit fails on me after 3 years like my current unit did, I'm NOT going to be impressed!!. I may also audition a high end Marantz unit. I'm constantly impressed at the audio presentation of my current Cd67-SE unit. Wonderful and RELIABLE player and well over 10 years old!!. Now THAT'S reliability!!

Comment

• Chris D
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Dec 2000

Yeah, the problem is, that since in our community something else is always right around the corner, right now we're not far away at all from seeing the next-gen player. This will likely be 4k resolution, possibly red-laser. My PS3 is still going strong, but even considering a new disc player, the more time that goes on, the less likely I am to consider another player buy, as I'll just have to replace it when 4K does come online.
                        CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Ovation
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Sep 2004

My PS3 is still going strong (and is SACD capable as well--to me, that's important as I have about 300 of them). I'd say the PS3 has been used 5% for games by the kids, if that much, 85% BD/DVD and 10% SACD (I have another SACD/DVD-A player I usually use--the PS3 is my backup for SACD).

Every once in a while, I look at Oppo's latest and think about it, but my PS3 does what I need. It's only drawback is fan noise, and I solved that with a long HDMI run from the other room and the Bluetooth remote. ALL remotes should be Bluetooth.

Comment

• madmac
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Ovation
                            My PS3 is still going strong (and is SACD capable as well--to me, that's important as I have about 300 of them). I'd say the PS3 has been used 5% for games by the kids, if that much, 85% BD/DVD and 10% SACD (I have another SACD/DVD-A player I usually use--the PS3 is my backup for SACD).

Every once in a while, I look at Oppo's latest and think about it, but my PS3 does what I need. It's only drawback is fan noise, and I solved that with a long HDMI run from the other room and the Bluetooth remote. ALL remotes should be Bluetooth.

I agree about the Bluetooth remote comment. MUCH more responsive and directionallty is not an issue.

Comment

• Chris D
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Dec 2000

Unfortunately, when setting up a control system, such as the ability to control multiple components in the building and remotely, and integrating with other control components, bluetooth becomes a big hindrance. (range limitations, too) Yes, there are work-arounds to make it work, but in general you have to patch the bluetooth gadgets into the control system, NOT the other way around. If I could choose, nothing would be bluetooth, and everything would have a 1/8" control input and ethernet plugs on the back panel.
                              CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• madmac
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Aug 2010

My Oppo is in the Rubbish. :cry:

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎
                                Searching...Please wait.
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                Search Result for "|||"