X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • number17
    • Jul 2004

Question re: sub palcement

I got a quick question regarding the subwoofer placement.

I previously placed the subwoofer in the corner of my HT room and it sounded a bit too boomy. I have since moved it to between the TV and my right front speaker.

The sub sounds fine from where it is, and the 2 front speakers are still equal-distance from the TV, as well as from the viewing position.

However, I am worried about 2 things.

1. I am not sure if the sub is magnetically shielded, and it is sitting right beside the TV, less than 1' from it.

2. My TV is a RPTV, and I am not sure if the vibration from the sub will affect the TV, where it will require frequent re-focus / calibration, or to a point it'll damage the TV.

Are my worries base-less, or should I move my sub? Anybody has a similar sub placement?

Thanks in advance!
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

1. the sub won't bother the RPTV and if it did you'd visually see the magnetic distortion on the screen.

2. vibrations are going to be pretty even no matter where you place the sub so a few feet one way or the other won't make any difference. Besides I know guys with some monster subs that sit on either side of their RPTV's and they've never had a issue.

Comment

• aarsoe
      • May 2004

Your tv should be less prone to magnetical distorsion as it is a rear projection, compared to a crt. The magnetic distortion is easy to spot on a crt based tv, but I must admit, I dont know if you can see it the same way on yours. If a crt gets into a magnetic field for a short period it just does some color distorsion and can drag the picture a bit - however if the magnetic field is very strong or over a very long time, you can damage the tv to a point where you need to send it in for repair as you would need to degauss the entire set - and that can only be done at special repair centers..

In other words - I dont know enough to advise you, but I would be very carefull and treat you tv as a crt based one, until someone with better knollegde advise othervise..

On the vibration issue it depends on your floor - ie how much is tranfered to the tv set..

Comment

• number17
        • Jul 2004

Thanks guys for the quick response.

No I don't notice any distortion on the TV picture so I guess magnetic distortion isn't a problem.

I feel better now cos that seems to be the best position for my sub placement in the room.

Comment

• Adz
          • Jan 2004

I found putting my sub against the back wall of the room directly centered behind my couch about 5-6 feet back is most optimal for my room. I have never heard of anyone with this placement but it seems to really work well for me. The couch takes a direct hit and rumbles big time, and its as if you can feel the waves emanate out and under my couch through my feet - pretty friggin' cool actually. I had it upfront but it clouded the mids and highs coming out of my front three speakers (which have lots of bass on their own and are run as large), and the corner was too boomy just like yours.
          Last edited by Adz; 16 September 2004, 08:32 Thursday.
          Adz

Comment

• Kemp
            • Nov 2003

Adz,

That is the exact same placement that my audio shop uses for their sound rooms. They also have a bass trap in each rear corner.

Marius
            Marius

Comment

• aud19
              Twin Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2003

Mine's about half way down my left, side wall I say put it where it sounds best :T (Or where your wife let's you! :lol: )

Jason
              Jason

Comment

• PiDD
                • Aug 2003

Hey Adz,

I have done something simular after a night of frequency testing.

This process was a lot more fun then it sounds. Basically all you need is a Radio Shack SPL meter, a way to play mp3's on the system and a computer to graph the results.

I in no way take credit for the excel spreadsheet (with the corrections for the RS meter) but can share the mp3's and spreadsheet for anyone that wants to play.

All you do is play the appropriate freq and record the result from the meter. The result should be a relatively flat line. If not move the sub around and mess with some crossover settings. I also found my system boomy with the subs in the corner... and the graph also showed this. I moved the subs out and it helped a bit.

Again let me know if anyone wants the material and I will share it out.

Rob

Comment

• Uncle Clive
                  Former Moderator
                  • Jan 2002

Hope I'm not the only one who has my Subs in front Well it's kinda behind the L/R front speakers. Tried the back wall but didn't work for my room.
                  CLIVE

HEY!! Why buy movie tickets when you can own a Theater?

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Jan 2001

I could place mine up front between the center and right front speakers until I added a second sub ( The Prattquake). Now the Parattquake is 1/4 up the right sidewall and the BA sub is now 1/4 down from the back on the right sidewall. The subs rock in this position. Solid without being boomy. The energy's there when called on.
                    My Homepage!

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"