X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • purplepeople
    • Aug 2004

Studio equipment for home theatre

I've been wondering why I don't see more HT setups that use rackmount amps with passive studio monitors or direct from processor to active monitors.

ensen
    Those who claim to be making history are often the same ones repeating it...
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

I think it's just an example of pro vs consumer gear. Information on pro gear is less accessible, the gear itself is less accessible, tends to be pricier, plus there's always the problem of pro gear sometimes not having the level of aesthetics that we're used to with consumer gear.

Jason
    Jason

Comment

• Kevin P
      • Aug 2000

Pro gear tends to be less user friendly as well. And I doubt that RCA, digital coax, or Toslink are the digital interfaces of choice on pro gear (referring to the stuff cinemas use). Chances are that your Sony DVD player isn't going to plug into the DD/DTS processor at your favorite cineplex, without some sort of adapter.

Comment

• purplepeople
        • Aug 2004

Higher prices are a myth and I found this out early in 2000 when I decided to get some speakers for a Marantz I inherited from my grandfather.

I'd never had a good system of my own and finally had a job with enough disposable income for a budget system. I'd always known about pro gear like EV, but figured that it was always megabuck so I started with consumer brands like Infinity, PSB, Paradigm, and Mission. I even tested a pair of B&Ws302(3?) to compare what I could barely afford. I finagled myself into listening rooms and listened to Martins and Totems. Then I saw an ad in the local entertainment newspaper for Tannoy studio monitors at $250CAD/pair. I remember thinking that it had to be a misprint, but since I've listened to audiophile speakers, I should at least listen to the Tannoys. Sure enough, the price was correct and while they weren't the equal of the high-end stuff, they were more than a match for every speaker I tested at the same price point and were easily as good as the B&Ws.

Since then I've added a pair of Yorkville active monitors that are easily better than any passive consumer brand in the same price range. The fact that the Yorkvilles have onboard amps is not only a bonus, but bewildering.

I've since come to the conclusion that working musicians and technicians won't pay outrageous sums for good quality equipment and audiophiles will. Just as with consumer gear, there are high-end, mid-range and entry levels price points. The difference is that entry level must still meet the needs of a professional whose livelihood depends on the equipment. Crap is quickly weeded out so the mfg won't bother to try and market it.

ensen.
        Those who claim to be making history are often the same ones repeating it...

Comment

• Brandon B
          Super Senior Member
          • Jun 2001

Originally posted by purplepeople
          I've since come to the conclusion that working musicians and technicians won't pay outrageous sums for good quality equipment and audiophiles will. Just as with consumer gear, there are high-end, mid-range and entry levels price points. The difference is that entry level must still meet the needs of a professional whose livelihood depends on the equipment. Crap is quickly weeded out so the mfg won't bother to try and market it.

ensen.
          I agree with most of what you say, but not this. There is certainly a bunch of crap in the pro-audio world, as well as snake-oil and stuff too. Go check out Monster's new line of guitar cords for a prime example.

BB

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"