X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • asg420
    • Jul 2004

best DVD audio outputs???

Hello again,

I have what some of you will consider probably a pretty basic question.....but your explination will be greatly appreciated!

What is the benefit of using 6 channel audio outputs from your DVD player? Is it better to use an optical or coax output into the processor?

I currently have a Denon 3800 DVD player - I may want to upgrade this piece as well but want to first try to get the best sound possible from this player for now.

Thanks again!

asg
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

For Dolby Digital / DTS stick to the digital outputs. You have to use the 5.1 analog outputs to hear any of the high resolution tracks on DVD-A / SACD unless your player/prepro has some sort of firewire or otherwise "secure" digital connection.

Jason
    Jason

Comment

• theMaximus
      • Jul 2004

Use the 6 channel output for DVD-Audio and digital output (digital coax or optical) for movies. In order to listen to DVD-Audio, you have to use 6 regular RCA cables for 6 channel output. I would recommend connecting your DVD player with both connections and switch between multi-channel audio (DVD-Audio) and digital audio (DVD movies) with separate input in your receiver. Remember that both your receiver and DVD player have to support 6 channel audio in order to listen to DVD-Audio. Check the back of your equipment or owner's manual to make sure. I hope this information helps.
      Victory Shall Be Mine!!! :heh:

Comment

• asg420
        • Jul 2004

Thank you both!!!

Thanks guys -

Some VERY helpful inforamtion - I get it now....

One other question....Does the analog output from the DVD player provided un coded sound to the processor? Does the Processor do the decoding of DVD-audio or is the sound processed by the DVD player and trasnmitted via the analog ports in 5.1 channel decoding.

Cool stuff!

Thanks!

asg

Comment

• aud19
          Twin Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2003

Processed in player and output as analog

Jason
          Jason

Comment

• asg420
            • Jul 2004

Thanks!

:t

Thank you!!! Good to know these things....

I love the cleanest, clearist, full bodied sound I can find.....I am now finally taking the time to learn how it actually all works! :B

Regards,

asg

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"