• Show
Clear All
  • Bam!
    Super Senior Member
    • Jan 2004

specific .1 recordings ?

duders!

Tell me...

In a movie...does the recording have a specific layer for the sub only or is it the receiver or Pre/Pro that just does the separation...????
    Got a nice rack to show me ?
  • Kevin P
    • Aug 2000

If a soundtrack has the .1 channel (e.g. DD 5.1, DTS 5.1 etc.) then there is a discrete LFE channel that, depending on the bass-management settings of your processor, is sent to the sub(s), the main speakers, or both.

In addition, if any/all speakers are set to Small, the low frequency component of the other channels (those whose speakers are set to Small) are also crossed over and sent to the sub.

So the short answer to your question, is yes. But the sub may receive information separated out from the other channels, as well. Or the .1 channel may get sent to your speakers, if you don't have a sub, or have LFE set to go to the mains.

Comment

• Bam!
      Super Senior Member
      • Jan 2004

Kev....O.K. that I know....

I am gonna rephrase the ????

O.K. let us say that you have speakers that can handle a mamma load of bass....

Will they get it....or is there a layer in the recording that will not send the message to the mains ?

Comment

• aud19
        Twin Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2003

Bam I think you've been smoking too much, and I don't mean food : :

:rofl:

Jason
        Jason

Comment

• Bam!
          Super Senior Member
          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by aud19
          Bam I think you've been smoking too much, and I don't mean food : :

:rofl:

Jason

Actually it's not my question...it comes from another guy....except nobody understands the question....I figured here they would! :lol:

well guess I'll go smoke some more!

Comment

• aud19
            Twin Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2003

It all depends on how the media was mixed and how you have your individual bass management set up. If you say in your pre/pro that you have no sub and your mains are "large" then the mains will receive any bass mixed in the main L/R channels plus whatever would have gone to the sub. Now depending on the speaker and amplification the speaker may or may not reproduce all of that bass and it may or may not do that well.

Now if you have your pre/pro set up as sub yes and still have your mains as large the sub will recieve the .1 or LFE channel and your mains will only be sent bass information mixed in the main L/R channels.

That is all based on the media actually having a .1 channel (most DD/DTS).

Hope that helps :

Jason
            Jason

Comment

• ajpoe
              • Jul 2004

I must add that if you have the ability to run all your channels full range it is simply awesome. I put an Athena P3 powered sub on each of my front channels and P2s on each of my rear channels to run with my Paradigm 60s and ADPs. I blended each sub to each Paradigm and set each channel to large to basically run as one full range speaker. I then put my TST in the couch crossed over at 80 Hz to pick up the LFE channel for the ultra low effects. I love it b/c most movies do not have any music or effects you wouldn't want to feel mixed in with LFE channel, it all goes to the fronts or rears accordingly. So, the TST only shakes you when you want that effect. Yet, in a scene when all 4 subs fire at once... oh my! In U-571, you can feel where each one of those depth charges explode from... why do I get so excited over this? LOL

ajpoe
              AJPoe - - Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional!

Comment

• Paul H
                • Feb 2004

Originally posted by Bam!
                In a movie...does the recording have a specific layer for the sub only or is it the receiver or Pre/Pro that just does the separation...????

Bam,

I believe the answer, to the question I think you are trying to ask, is no, the actual recording (ie shiny disk that the laser reads) does not have a separate layer burnt into the disk for .1 LFE. The LFE channel is 'separated' from the rest of the digital bitstream by the receiver or pre/pro decoder.

Paul

Comment

• aud19
                  Twin Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2003

Ajpoe, that's why these are my dream lottery system: :B :P

Genesis Advanced Technologies is your premier destination for ultra high-end luxury loudspeakers and amplifier systems for music lovers who demand absolute fidelity.

Edit: ..and yes that's a sub for the centre channel! :P

Jason
                  Last edited by aud19; 16 July 2004, 11:37 Friday.
                  Jason

Comment

• Bam!
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Jan 2004

Thanks Paul H!

oh and Jason! :lol:

and for sharing ajpoe!

Comment

• aud19
                      Twin Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2003

BTW here's a link to a review of those Genesis speakers:

Definitely give it a read :yesnod:

Jason
                      Jason

Comment

• ajpoe
                        • Jul 2004

I've been considering getting an Athena P1 to run with my CC-470 center. Truth be told... I don't really know where I'd put it. My center is currently angled down sitting a top my 57" RPTV. The P1 can be layed on its side and the center placed on top of it, but I think that would just look silly on top of my tv even though that's exactly how the genesis center is designed. The only other option would be to put the sub on its side on the floor, which would basically act as a stand to put the CC-470 on top of it angled up toward my couch. I also think having a center in front of the TV looks kind of silly and takes up a lot of floor space... hrmmmm! Never the less, I am running my center as large and it has a response down to 39-40 hz so may be due to space requirements, I should just keep things as is.

Comment

• Bam!
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by ajpoe
                          I've been considering getting an Athena P1 to run with my CC-470 center. Truth be told... I don't really know where I'd put it. My center is currently angled down sitting a top my 57" RPTV. The P1 can be layed on its side and the center placed on top of it, but I think that would just look silly on top of my tv even though that's exactly how the genesis center is designed. The only other option would be to put the sub on its side on the floor, which would basically act as a stand to put the CC-470 on top of it angled up toward my couch. I also think having a center in front of the TV looks kind of silly and takes up a lot of floor space... hrmmmm! Never the less, I am running my center as large and it has a response down to 39-40 hz so may be due to space requirements, I should just keep things as is.
                          Funny thing is I have a 2 pairs of Athena S2`s...always wondered what the subs would do them.... :roll:

Comment

• ajpoe
                            • Jul 2004

I'd go give them a listen. How do you like your S2s? My buddy has the S3/P3s for fronts, C1 and S2/P2s for rears. Hearing his system is the main reason I went with the athena subs. I was running a Polk PSW650 as a .1 sub with my Paradigm system but wanted a better sub. After auditioning a few subs in the $1500 - 2000 range (Velodyne, Paradigm, etc), I felt they still didn't compare to his 4 sub setup. The fact that I was able to find all 4 in high gloss black for $1050 off audioweb (2 demos and 2 brand new at 50% off) made it a no brainer. I threw the polk in my bedroom with a couple Atoms for music now. I am very very pleased with how the Athena subs blended seamlessly into the Paradigms... now the only missing piece in my system is a good processor. I'm hoping that will satisfy the upgrade bug for a while!

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"