X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Charl
    • Apr 2004

5.1 sound from Sat TV?

I run my digital satellite tv signal through my new NAD T163 pre/pro but can't get decent 5.1 sound from the surrounds and sub. The satellite box has a digital out, which I connected to a digital input on the pre/pro via a high quality digital coax.To test the sound effects I set the main speaker levels all the way down and the surrounds all the way up, but I only get 'warbled' and incohesive sounds from the surrounds and the sub. This happens in all decoding modes (DPL, DPLII, etc.) and with all programs (MTV, etc.), although the front always sound fine. DVD's work great, also via digital coax.
    Surely this can't be right or am I being stupid here? :unsure:
  • Kevin P
    • Aug 2000

Most cable/satellite channels are only Dolby Digital 2.0 (2 channel + Pro Logic). Your best bet for finding 5.1 sound on satellite is on the movie channels (HBO, Showtime, etc.).

Does the NAD display the digital signal format (PCM, DD, DTS, etc.)? You might have to go into your satellite box's setup menus to enable Dolby Digital through the digital output. It could be converting everything to PCM stereo.

Comment

• Paul H
      • Feb 2004

If you haven't already make sure that you check all the audio settings on the digital cable box. For example, the default on the one I have was set to 'high compression' for all audio, which put out sound quality a shade worse than fm radio.

Different cable boxes and cable suppliers will no doubt provide different results, but I can't say I'm impressed by cable sound quality that we get here after all the settings were optimized.

Paul

Comment

• Charl
        • Apr 2004

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Kevin I'm not sure, will check.
        I'll experiment some more and see how it goes.

Comment

• Brandon B
          Super Senior Member
          • Jun 2001

You don't say which satellite service you have, but DishNetwork hhad labeled PPV movies in 5.1 DD in the onscreen guide last I looked.

BB

Comment

• Charl
            • Apr 2004

BB our local serive here in South Africa is called Multichoice DSTV. This is Africa, so I'd be verrry surprised if any of the channels or services are in 5.1.
            I thought the whole idea of DPL or PDLII is to decode a 2 channel source into 5.1?

Comment

• brucek
              HTG Expert
              • Aug 2000

I use the ExpressVu satellite system and when a movie is in 5.1 the guide tells you so, but they also let you know before the movie with a cool THX type intro that circulates around the channels.

I would put the audio quality only slightly below DVD. I find it very good.

The movies that aren't transmitted in DD5.1 are DD2.0 - On these movies I use prologic - quite good sound, no complaints..

Comment

• Charl
                • Apr 2004

I've played around a bit and also queried the tech dep of the manufacturer. All sources (cd, tuner) sound fine to good in any format, it's just the dstv that keeps giving a 'warbled' sound in any surround format. And this seems to be much more pronounced with voices.
                The tech dep don't know anything about the digital output on the box, apart from that it 'improves sound by 10%'. That helps a lot.......
                Unfortunately all sat channels are only 2.0 here in SA.
                Seems we'll be watching tv movies in stereo only then - bummer! :M

Comment

• aud19
                  Twin Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Charl
                  I've played around a bit and also queried the tech dep of the manufacturer. All sources (cd, tuner) sound fine to good in any format, it's just the dstv that keeps giving a 'warbled' sound in any surround format. And this seems to be much more pronounced with voices.
                  The tech dep don't know anything about the digital output on the box, apart from that it 'improves sound by 10%'. That helps a lot.......
                  Unfortunately all sat channels are only 2.0 here in SA.
                  Seems we'll be watching tv movies in stereo only then - bummer! :M
                  Is it possible you're not muting your TV when listening through your HT setup? This will cause that "warbled" sound especially with the centre channel and TV which would explain why it's most prevelant with voices...

Jason
                  Jason

Comment

• Charl
                    • Apr 2004

Jason I'll check when I get home tonight, but I'm sure I have the volume turned all the way down, but not actually muted. Can this make a difference?

Comment

• aud19
                      Twin Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2003

Even if your only getting 2.0 you should still be able to listen in DPLII surround.

If you're turning the volume all the way down and there's no output, that "shouldn't" effect the sound... Is it possible your centre and or other speakers are wired out of phase? Double check all your connections to make sure no negative or positive wires are reversed at the speakers or your amp.

Do you have any stereo sources (ie: a 2.0 DVD or a CD with lot's of talking on it) to confirm that other stereo sources when played in DPLII do or don't do the same thing? Have you tried adjusting any of the DPLII parameters or trying the different music/cinema modes? Don't be afraid to try the music one on TV/movies and vice versa...

Jason
                      Jason

Comment

• Charl
                        • Apr 2004

I appreciate your help and advice Jason. Will play more over the weekend.

Comment

• Charl
                          • Apr 2004

OK, so we've finally identified the source of the problem. I contacted the import agent about a problem with intermittent humm and the odd 'popping' sound. He conceded that NAD have identified a problem with the 'new' T163's and asked if I also experienced a strange 'whistling' sound when listening to digital formats such as DPLII. Bingo!
                          So there we have it - another expensive piece of equipment with a manufacturer's fault. It really makes me mad to see so many posts about problems with brand new equipment from reputable suppliers.
                          Yes it's great that "might" send me a replacement unit (not fix), but faulty models should not pass their quality control in the first place! Not so often anyway. :rant:
                          By the way, when I bought this unit 3 weeks ago it was the latest release version - or so I was told. Surprise, there's a newer version available now, but if I want the next version with DPLIIx I'll have to wait another month!
                          So we already have 4 diferent versions of a product only released here 2 months ago. :M

I do appreciate your attempts to help with my problem.....thanks guys!

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"