X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rcchap
    • Jan 2004

Newbie projector questions

I'm in the process of putting together my first HT.
    Rotel 1068
    Rotel 1075
    Dennon 2200
    B&W's
    Sanyo Z2 projector
    screen?
    My question is: Do I need a separate TV for regular programs or can I watch everything on my projector. If I can watch everything on the FP do I want to?
    Thanks guys
    Chris.
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

I use my PJ mainly for movies and the occasional sporting event on tv, but have a separate room for tv watching. Now there are many who use their PJs for tv watching, but you have to remember that a crt tv may last upwards of 10,000 hours before it will give up the ghost, while an lcd PJ like the Z2 has a lamp that will need replacing around 1500 to 2000 hours and lamps are not cheap. The other thing is, most people watching tv usually like to have the lights on and without control of ambient light, a PJ's contrast drops off drastically. If you restricted your projector tv watching to high definition material, then you will certainly get a lot more life out of your lamp.
    My Homepage!

Comment

• Brandon B
      Super Senior Member
      • Jun 2001

What George said.

And probably you wouldn't want to. 3 foot tall Tom Brokaw head? No thanks.

BB

Comment

• Kevin P
        • Aug 2000

2nd what George said. Sure you can feed your cable/satellite signal into a projector, but unless you're watching HDTV it's going to look like cr@p blown up to a big screen. Plus you don't want to waste 30-40% of your expensive bulb life watching commercials on a big screen.

The way some people do it, and how I'll do it when I go FP some day (unless I have a dedicated HT room), is to have a regular TV in the room (direct view, RP, or plasma) for casual/daytime TV watching, and then have a motorized screen drop down in front of the TV for movie watching with the projector.

Of course if you have a dedicated HT room, you can use it for just movies and special/HDTV viewing, and do your regular TV watching in another room of the house, with the lights up/windows open.

Comment

Working...
        😀
        😂
        🥰
        😘
        🤢
        😎
        😞
        😡
        👍
        👎
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"