X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JSMD
    • Nov 2004

Newbie: Only DVD watching

I have a large room in my basement converted five years ago into HT with 32” TV, JVC surround sound receiver (5.1) and five BIC speakers.

Now, I would like to add a front projector (16:9) for watching only DVD, keeping the TV for cable programs.

1. Is native WSVGA (854x480) pixel count/resolution enough, since most DVDs being burned in 720 by 480 resolution or are there any justifications to go for higher resolution (WXGA 1280x720)

2. Will a progressive scan DVD player improve the output of the projector (sharper and more stable image)?

3. Projector could be ceiling mounted in middle of room about 12’-14’ from screen (Pull Down 90”-100” diagonal). Sitting: 10’-15’ from screen

4. My budget being in the $1.000-$2.000 range I have selected the following projectors:
    Epson Home 10+ LCD 800:1 WSVGA (854x480) 1,200 lumens $1,299
    InFocus 4805 DLP 2000:1 WSVGA (854x480) 750 lumens $1,499
    Panasonic L500U LCD 1300:1 WXGA (1280x720) 850 lumens $1,499
    Sanyo PVL-Z2 LCD 1300:1 WXGA (1280x720) 800 Lumens $1,568
    InFocus 5000 LCD 1200:1 WXGA (1280x720) 1,100 lumens $1,999

Any advice?
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

Well, it all depends....

In principle, a good wide VGA projector with optimized performance in other areas should serve you best for DVD only. Besides the normal issues around contrast ratio, brightness, artifacts (DLP), there are some other things to consider.

One is the quality of de-interlacig, ESPCIALLY if you watch any video sourced material, including TV shows on DVD, anime, music videos, or discs with mixed media- here, the best reasonable cost performance is obtained with Faroudja DCDi chips- whether in the DVD player (as my Zenith DVB18) or in the projector. Don't need it both places.

Also, with regards to the DVD player, try to pick one (if you haven't already; sounds like you haven't because you're asking about whether a progressive player is worthwhile- almost all players these days are progressive, BUT- see item directly above) which tests well for behavior with regards to the Chroma bug and cadence flagging, as well as video response. Getting one with DVI or HDMI output might be a good idea, too, for future proofing. The "Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity" site has very good DVD player reviews and shoot outs.

Most of the forum members here have digital projectors, becuase they're very easy to setup, pretty much plug and play, and nice and compact. I've owned CRT projectors and digital, and switched back to CRT, my most recent acquisition being an NEC 9PG+ with less than 700 hours on it, for $1600. It's not small, it took a while to get dialed into my customized setup with widescreen display (80" diagonal 16:9), but the picture from my Zenith DBB318 upscaling to 1080i is quite pleasing; very detailed but also quite film like.

I borrowed a Sony projector which was wide XGA and tried that out prior to getting the NEC, and didn't like it much - too much SDE, not very uniform color, and of course, the black levels left a bit to be desired. The enhanced resolution is no panacea for other problems, and didn't really buy anything in performance, upscaling from 480 to 720.

OTOH, under the RIGHT conditions, upscaling can be useful... such as the 1080i output from the Zenith into a capable projector.

~Jon
    Last edited by JonMarsh; 30 November 2004, 14:49 Tuesday.
    the AudioWorx
    Natalie P
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Given that the cost difference now btwn the lower and higher resolution projections isn't that high I'd say go for the Z2 or 500U. Either unit are very nice and given the choice I'd likely go for the Z2 if only b/c its much easier to setup with its lens shift feature. I own the clone of the Z1 which is a little lower in resolution and its been a great projector for me in a very similar role that you intend as I've also got my CRT tv for more typical TV watching...though I'll sometimes watch sporting events on the PJ from the dish.

Comment

• JSMD
        • Nov 2004

Thanks.

Some other people in the forum are talking about DVD players up-scaling from 854x480 to 1280x720.

Why? Progressive scan or DVD DVI output to a LCD WXGA (1280x720) projector with DVI inputs?

Does that mean a native DVD (854x480) will be pulled up to WXGA (1280x720) and you get a smoother image and less SDE.

Which DVI DVD would you suggest to replace my old Philips DVD 825 player?

I read also there are some Z2 problems (Sanyo PLV-Z2 memory effect).

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"