Looking for a new center channel and possibly mains.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gordon Moore
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Feb 2002

Looking for a new center channel and possibly mains.

So I'm looking for a new center since my kids blew out what I had (actually they cracked the driver's surround ). I guess ideally I'd be looking to replace the mains as well to keep the front even and smooth.

I'm considering DIY kits but I may as well keep all my options open (since I've never done a kit speaker before the potential to screw up is high and there's the unknown of how it will come together in the end).

So taking a quick gander at the FutureShop/Best Buy brands which is about where my budget lies...

I don't think I'd want to go above $300 CDN for a center (I guess I could push that a little if there is something really killer sounding but a hair more) and then no more than $500/speaker for mains (so $1000 beans total although less is always more for me ).

FS has:
    Athena
    JBL
    and
    Polk as the front runners...

Everyone can give me reasons to buy one or the other (my ears will tell me what I like...I hope) but I'm looking more for reasons against...

For instance..."oh not x, because they have quality control issues"...
    Or "I know brand z uses sub-quality parts and are way over priced"...

Of course I'll take other suggestions in the mentioned price range...

Thanks everyone

ps.
    The receiver will either wind up being a Yamaha 1400 or the HTR5760. That's not what I have now but that's what I'm getting in the not-so-distant-future.

Have at 'er

Gordo
    Last edited by Gordon Moore; 04 May 2004, 14:03 Tuesday.
    Sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.
  • David R.
    • Apr 2003

Gordon, i would take a trip to creative audio.. See what you can find there..

Also, Maybe look at the Tannoy Mercurys.. I think stefanko (spelling?) sells tannoy.. Brian Riemer is also a good place.

Anyway, gotta get out and listen!
    Last edited by David R.; 04 May 2004, 14:00 Tuesday.

Comment

• aud19
      Twin Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2003

Well I'm sure Andrew will recommend the Rockets which are a good option if you don't mind ordering online. Of the three you listed I'd probably go with the Polks or Athena's though if I remember correctly Polks tend to be hard to drive and considering you're not going for some higher amped seperates that may be an issue/something to take in to consideration.

I'll obviously put my vote in for Energy C-series or XL-series which I absolutely love. They tend to have a similar but "higher-end" sound to Athena's. If you can get a good discount you could probably get a C-C1 center and a pair of C-3's. If you can get an awesome deal you could even get close to your budget with C-5's and a C-C3 centre :P Also, Energy's tweeters are un-paralleled in this price range IMO.

Also look at B&W, Paradigm, PSB and Totem.

Jason
      Jason

Comment

• Gordon Moore
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Feb 2002

Yeah it's tough being a Canuck...all these fine speaker brands to look at :

what a dilema :wink:

Comment

• aud19
          Twin Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2003

lol...ya it's pretty tough "eh"? :B

Jason
          Jason

Comment

• Glen
            • Dec 2003

Gord. I've always found the Paradigms to be the best price/quality balance. Of course you gotta listen to what your ears tell you ( that might be a pun, I'm not sure ). I've never liked the Polks ( I've listened to a number of them ).

If you go to Advance, see if you can talk to Joe Ducasse ( he's usually only there during the day ). He used to run Gillam Sound. He's truely once of the most honest, sincere salesmen I've ever met. He won't try to up sell you - he'll give you an honest opinion of what would work best for you (certainly worth your time if even just to check things out ).

Good luck. Once you've narrowed down some models - let us know, then we can give some more direct feedback.

Have fun

Comment

• Bent
              Super Senior Member
              • Sep 2003

Gordon, for reference sake, my Paradigm CC-350 was purchased for 310 CDN, and my Paradigm Mini-Monitors were 290 CDN for the pair, before taxes.

only the cc-350 is shielded (I think its about 15 bucks extra per speaker for shieling).

I would expect that the Version 3's would go for about 10-15% more, just because... :roll:

Note: mine were the version 2's, (crossed over at 1800 hz), the version 3's (CC-370) and Ver. 3 Mini's are crossed over at 2100 Hz, I can't get an honest answer from Paradigm as to why they bumped up the x-over freq. (I'm guessing they wanted to make that little titanium tweeter last a bit longgggeeeerrrr, but I'm sure they'll say that they improved their mid-bass driver's dispersion enough that they were able to select a "better" x-over point... :roll:

I would whole-heartedly say to seriously look at DIY, although I'm happy with my Paradigm stuff, I KNOW they have slug core inductors and electrolytic caps in their X-overs, and I KNOW air core inductors and poly-film caps (or God forbid...oil filled) will sound better....

Comment

• Gordon Moore
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Feb 2002

Well my significant other wasn't to thrilled with my budget for (as she put it ) "just speakers" :cry: so rather than living on the couch for the duration of my marriage I've been relegated all the way down to being a test bed for Fluance products (hopefully they'll be the little CDN company that could :B . So I'll be ordering the center and then down the road possibly their bookshelfs and/or towers. At least for a budget brand they're well built (or so it sounds)...time will tell.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Description
                --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                A flawlessly made two-way technology center channel speaker system. In the listening environment this speaker gives an exciting performance. With superb sound radiation and rich timbre, it converts the audio signal into an incredibly wonderful vocal experience. In movies it actually seems like the actors are speaking to you in the same room!
                Key Features

Center Channel Speaker System
                Magnetically Shielded
                MDF Wood Construction To Reduce Cabinet Resonance
                Ferro-fluid Cooled Tweeter For Longer Life
                Butyl Rubber Surrounds For Increased Durability and Performance
                5 Way Gold Plated Binding Post Terminals for Optimum Conductivity
                Banana Plug Compatible Connectors
                Removable Flush Fit Grills
                Crossover Features Butterworth Design
                18 Gauge Lead Wire to Reduce Signal Degradation
                Premium Black Ash Woodgrain Finish
                New With A Full 5 Year Parts and Labor Warranty
                Specifications

System Type: 2 Way - 3 Driver Center Channel Speaker
                Tweeter: 1" Titanium Balanced Silk Dome Ferrofluid Cooled
                Midrange: Dual 5" Polymer Treated with Butyl Rubber Surrounds
                Power Handling: 10 - 120 Watts
                Frequency Response: 70 - 20K Hz
                Sensitivity: 88±3dB
                Crossover Frequency: 3000 Hz Phase Coherent - PCB Mounted Circuitry
                Impedance: 8 Ohms
                Enclosure: Acoustic Suspension Design
                Dimensions: 7.5 X 20.4 X 8.3 inches (H x W x D)
                Weight: 13.7 pounds

Priced very low for a Fluance center channel speaker with serious performance

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

I'm looking forward to hearing them Gord....and I can only hope Kathy's attitude doesn't rub off on Glenda more then it already has

Comment

• aud19
                    Twin Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2003

Can't wait to hear your comments guys :T The equipment sounds pretty good for the low (?) price

Jason
                    Jason

Comment

• Gordon Moore
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Feb 2002

Heh heh...

"I fought the law, and the, law won..."

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"