• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • P-Dub
    Office Moderator
    • Aug 2000

Subwoofer Connection via High level?

Howdy,

I thought I'd get this section started for the new year.

I've got a sub that I'd like to hook up to my computer soundsystem. Right now it is just an older Sony Stero receiver with a pair of B&W 301 hooked up to it. I'd like to utilize my older Energy exl-S8 powered sub.

Now looking at the back of my sub I only see one set of L/R connections for speaker cable. So I'm wondering how I can set this up. The manual isn't very helpful. It just says:

Using High Level Connections (see Diagram 1)
    On the rear of your Energy subwoofer cabinet is a block designated "High Level". This block contains two pairs of speaker terminals. These should be connected to the speaker output terminals of your amplifier or A/V receiver. Each pair of terminals are color coded black/red.
    The diagram in question is on page 20 of the pdf.

So I'm a bit confused. I'm used to send the signal in and send it out type of connections. So do I just jam the 2 sets of speaker wire into my sub? ie out from my receiver and to my sub and out of the sub to my speakers?

Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.
    Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

Paul , since the sub only has what appears to be IN connectors only, I would assume that the amp and speaker wire are both connected to the Sub's input. Seems weird, though.

My Homepage!
    My Homepage!

Comment

• brucek
      HTG Expert
      • Aug 2000

Paul,

This type of hookup is fairly common on smaller subs.

The "speaker level" inputs to a sub are a high impedance input. They're designed to have very little impedance effect when used in conjunction with a regular set of 8 ohm speakers. Input impedance is likely in the 10K range realized from a 20dB voltage divider. This means the circuit to the sub lives in the voltage domain rather than in the current domain like your 8 ohm speakers.

The preferred hookup would be to run a regular gauge set of speaker cables to your main speakers and then attach a set of thin cables from the mains (in parallel), over to the subs speaker level input connectors as shown in the diagram on page 20.

The cables to the sub may be a large gauge (small wire i.e 18g-20g) because it's a high impedance voltage bridge, so the cable impedance is of little concern.

In that regard, there is no reason to use heavy gauge cable to a sub that uses the speaker level input connectors if you feed it "from" your mains speakers.

Yes you can, feed the sub first from the receiver and then feed the mains speakers from there if you wish, but then you'll need heavy gauge speaker wire the entire route, and it may be difficult to get the two sets of wire into the spring clips on the sub......

brucek

Comment

• Lex
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Apr 2001

Strange, I know I posted a reply here, but it's not here. hmmmm....

Bruce, good answer as usual. I was confused by the fact it stated it had 2 sets of speaker terminals, but Paul only saw one???

Lex

Cable Guy DVD Collection
        Doug
        "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• brucek
          HTG Expert
          • Aug 2000

I was confused by the fact it stated it had 2 sets of speaker terminals, but Paul only saw one???
          I believe it says two pairs of speaker terminals. This is correct. A pair for left input and a pair for right input.

Yeah, I think Paul's confusion comes from the fact that a lot of subs, (that have high level input), also incorporate a high pass filter feature and an additional associated set of speaker output terminal connections for utilizing this feature.

That system is useful if you have an older receiver without integral bass management and you want to use your sub to accomplish these duties. The typical setup being one set of speaker cables from the receiver, passing a full range signal to the sub, and then a second set of cables from the sub to your mains that is 'high passed'. This provides a convenient way to enter and leave the sub with two sets of cables.

In Paul's case, he has a sub without this high pass feature, and as such only has one set of speaker connectors. The preferred setup for him would be as I mentioned in my original thread.

Alternately, if he really wanted to feed the sub first, and then carry on to his mains from there, he would have only one set of speaker terminals to accomodate two sets of wires and would have to "jam" them into one set of connectors as he says in his original post...

brucek

Comment

• Lex
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Apr 2001

I guess that's right Bruce. I'd like to see the back panel myself. Let's say I am from Missouri, the Show me state.

Lex

Cable Guy DVD Collection
            Doug

Comment

• Burke Strickland
              • Sep 2001

Let's say I am from Missouri, the Show me state.
              As opposed to Tennessee, the Snow me state. :>)

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• Lex
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Apr 2001

I thought Canada was the snow me state? Oh, different kind of snow here maybe?, lol.

Lex
                Doug

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"