X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • calbfer99
    • Nov 2003

subwoofer

Hello,

I have just purchased new Rotel seperates and I have custom built Focal speakers for the mains. they consist of two seperate boxes. top have 2 7's and a tweeter. the bottom (crossed for just sub) has two 12's. right now the top box is connected to the bottom box then connected to my amp. I dont have a dedicated sub so on my equiptment sub is turned off and its redirected to my main speakers (correct me if im wrong). I use 75% HT and 25% music. depending on the movie it sounds pretty good but some movies it doesnt really hit. btw I really like lots of bass. love to rattle everything especially in movies when stuff explodes!

ok so heres my dilema. I was thinking of purchasing a two channel amp and connecting my bottom box (subs) to it and connecting it to the LFE channel and just using the top box for the mains.

Will this work?
    Will it sound better (more bass) than how its connected now?
    should I just buy a dedicated sub and leave the mains alone?
    Does redirecting LFE channel to the mains lose or gain anything being I have large speakers?

Thank you for any suggestions and help.

Charles A.
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

Charles, welcome to the forum!

Does the top box handle your mid-bass? If so, what you propose would turn your upper cabinets into monitor speakers with subwoofer support.

Bass is power hungry. So, right now, they are sounding a bit anemic because of this power split.

So, crossing your upper cabinets over at 80 hz or higher, and redirecting that bass to the LFE channel with separate power WILL increase your bass output without a dedicated sub. However, there's nothing like a dedicated sub or two to really increase bass output. Example, my dual Shiva boxes driven by a Parasound 1500A really had serious output. You should be able to get a decent used power amp, and could do similar if your handy with tools. Likely cabinet size and tuning may limit how low your existing 12"s can go. But there's others here much more adept with these numbers, check the DIY folks in Mission Possible...

Lex
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

Working...
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"