X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vsarathy
    • Oct 2003

Recommendations for DVD-A Titles

I recently purchased the Denon DVD-1600 and am waiting for my Rotel RSP-1098/RMB-1095 controller/amplifier combo to arrive. In the meantime, I wanted to get some suggestions for DVD-A discs that are sonically impressive. I don't care for any sampler demo discs. So, if you guys could recommend one or two titles in each of the three categories, namely, Classical, Rock, Jazz, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,
    Viji
  • Blindamood
    • Sep 2003

If you like Steely Dan, they've got two excellent DVD-Audio disks: Everything Must Go and Two Against Nature. In addition, Donald Fagen's Nightfly is also awesome. I highly recommend all.
    Brad

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
      • Jan 2002

Eagles: Hotel California

SONNIE

Cedar Creek Cinema

DVD Collection

BFD Comprehensive Setup Guide

Comment

• Rock Dog
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2003

Tipper(Artist)-Surrounded(the disc). In my humble opinion there IS NO better DVD-A out there right now. The music is a little strange, and takes a little getting used to if you are strictly a mainstream fan of any genre. But if you have an open mind, and you like New Age, or New Age/Jazz'ish stuff (say Blue Man Group) you might end up really enjoying the music. I've heard it classified as "Down Tempo and Ambient," I would agree. It's serious chill out music.

BUT... if you want what I consider (and many, many reviewers out there) to be the best DVD-A disc to date, this is it. The mix is just outstanding...

Here is a link to Amazon, where you can check out a few of the tracks

It comes in regular 2 channel CD as well. And it sounds great as well.

But if you want to hear what your 5.1 DVD-A system can do, THIS is the disc. I know I may sound a little overboard. But IMHO, it's that damn good.

-Thomas-

The easiest way to find something lost around the house, is to buy a replacement.

Hey You! Make sure you stop by the HTguide Off-Topic section. It's FUN!!!

-Thomas-

As long as people will accept crap, it will be financially profitable to dispense it.

Hey You! Make sure you stop by the HTguide After Midnight section. It's FUN!!!

Comment

• David Meek
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

I don't have many, but Hotel California is a very good disc. I'm going to have to give Tipper a spin. . . :B

David - HTGuide flunky
          Our "Theater"
          Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Zed
            • Jun 2003

I will definately agree with Hotel California great disc. A few more I would recommend are Metallica-Black Album,Neil Young-Harvest, and BB King&Eric Clapton-Riding With The King

My DVD Collection
            My DVD Collection

Comment

• Chris D
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Dec 2000

I'm still curious--how does "Hotel California" on DVD-A compare to the original Hotel California on DVD that has been a demo reference disc for so long in the a/v industry?

CHRIS
              Luke: "Hey, I'm not such a bad pilot myself, you know"
              CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
              - Pleasantville

Comment

• spiffnme
                • Apr 2003

I'm surprised no one mentioned Fleetwood Mac 'Rumours'. An amazing album to begin with, and it has never sounded as good as it does on DVD-A.

www.funnyfarmcomics.net
                All Daredevil, All the Time!

Comment

• Burke Strickland
                  • Sep 2001

Another "golden oldie" that sounds terrific on DVD-A is "Brain Salad Surgery" by Emerson, Lake and Palmer.

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• aud19
                    Twin Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2003

I started another thread in "In-Tune" that you guys might be interested in. (Nobody's posting to it though... :cry: :boohoo: )

Jason

Need a new display? Questions about new display technologies? Visit RPTVs, plasmas, and other monitors @ HTguide
                    Jason

Comment

• Chris D
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Dec 2000

I agree... this is better suited for the "in-tune" section. I'll add SACD to the discussion over there.

CHRIS
                      Luke: "Hey, I'm not such a bad pilot myself, you know"
                      CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                      - Pleasantville

Comment

• Scarp
                        • Mar 2003

Queen: A night at the opera !!!!

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"