X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vsarathy
    • Oct 2003

Component Video vs DVI Output

Could anyone please comment on the differences between using DVI and component video connections between a DVD player & Front Projector?
    I was thinking of buying a DVD player with a DVI out. However, there are very few choices in my price range of $750 (Bravo D1 and Samsung HD931). And, I have heard lots of compliants about both of them. So, I have decided to settle for a good quality DVD player with just component outs.

I am leaning towards the Denon 1600 which has a very good interlacer. What are other good candidates?

Thanks,
    Viji
  • Frank T.
    • Oct 2003

A word of advise: HOLD YOUR HORSES!

The quality improvement in terms of color fidelity, three dimensionality and the reduction of annoying edge enhancements (halos when black picture elements clash with bright ones) is definitely a major quality issue in favor of DVI.

The Marantz DV 8400 is a great device - but out of your price range. Check out the new Pioneer Elite DVD player, it features HDMI outputs (100% adapterwise compatible to DVI) - it is still twice as much but unless you want to wait for lesser priced AND efficient models, that's the current situation.

There is one catch - With ANY digital output (DVI or HDMI) of a DVD player the "digital" Macrovision signal HDCP comes along.

Your front projector has to have an HDCP authorized DVI input. Late and newer models this year feature that input but you got to make sure, even the new beginner-grade Sanyo PLV-Z2 (!) has DVI-HDCP.

Hope that helps. If you had waited until now, it might seem wise just two wait a few more weeks longer.

Frank T.
    Frank T.

Comment

• Brandon B
      Super Senior Member
      • Jun 2001

Not quite true. The Bravo D1 DVI output does not have HDCP applied to it, nor does the Momitsu V880, based on nearly the same base unit.

This is true at 480p, 720p and 1080i, as well as at any custom resolution setup using the D1.

Now this IS in violation of the licensing agreement deck mfrs are supposed to abide by, and may change in the future, but for now you can get the D1 online, or the V880 from an importer (a member here was importing them, jariten I think), and they will work with almost any FP, regardless of HDCP compliance. Some displays have sync/timing problems witht he decks though.

BB

Comment

• Frank T.
        • Oct 2003

While it is true that there are DVD players (or HT PCs) out that do not add the HDCP content protection to the digital video signal, I merely wanted to stress the point that DVI doesn't equal "DVI".

That especially concerns consumers that purchase a "DVI" input display device (without HDCP authorization) along with an "authorized" DVD-DVI player that adds the HDCP content protection - result: nothing!

If the player doesn't add the HDCP content protection, it is pretty safe to say that any DVI display (HDCP or not) will show the signal.

Frank T.
        Frank T.

Comment

Working...
        😀
        😂
        🥰
        😘
        🤢
        😎
        😞
        😡
        👍
        👎
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"