X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rock Dog
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2003

6.1 owners! How did you......

If you have a matched 6.1 speaker system. How did you get that single rear speaker. Did your dealer or the brand you bought, offer 1 speaker for the rear. Or did they (and were willing to) break up a set of rear surrounds?

I think that the reason 7.1 came in so fast after 6.1, is because the dealers and OEMs were not about to start breaking open boxes, just to get 1 speaker out.

6.1 folks, how did it happen in your case?

-Thomas-

The easiest way to find something lost around the house, is to buy a replacement.

Hey You! Make sure you stop by the HTguide Off-Topic section. It's FUN!!!

-Thomas-

As long as people will accept crap, it will be financially profitable to dispense it.

Hey You! Make sure you stop by the HTguide After Midnight section. It's FUN!!!
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Thomas, I just bought an extra pair of Boston VRS Pros and wired them in parallel. With my upgrading to Aerial Acoustic mains, that's going to be a bit pricey to do, so I'm interested in the responses to this, too.

David - HTGuide flunky
    Our "Theater"
    Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

I simply made four M8a speakers and used three across the front and one on the back

Comment

• I'mListening
        • Jul 2003

It is highy recommended that two separate rear centers be used in a 6.1, this configuration naturally lends itself to a later upgrade to 7.1. I bought two B&W DM601's to use as my rear centers. Works great!

Thanks for reading!

Enter The Cyberdyne Cinema

Darren
        Thanks for reading!

Enter The Cyberdyne Cinema

Darren

Comment

• Chris D
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Dec 2000

I agree with Darren. If two speakers are used for the rear, even if they produce the same channel sound, (6.1) it widens the sound field so that rear sounds come from the area behind you, not just one single location of a single speaker.

Me, when I went to 7.1, I shopped around for a set of surround speakers to match my side surround set. I was open to the possibility of buying a single one that somebody had pulled out of a pair, or maybe damaged one in a pair and was selling the other. But I optimally wanted 7.1, and just bought a complete pair.

CHRIS
          Luke: "Hey, I'm not such a bad pilot myself, you know"
          CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
          - Pleasantville

Comment

• Lex
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Apr 2001

I went straight to pseudo 7.1, bypassed the need for 1 speaker.

Lex
            Doug
            "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

You could also buy two center speakers or buy two pairs of speakers and use three across the front and the other for the rear center...this might work well if you're buying bookshelf sized speakers.

Comment

• Rock Dog
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Jan 2003

Originally posted by Andrew Pratt
                You could also buy two center speakers or buy two pairs of speakers and use three across the front and the other for the rear center...this might work well if you're buying bookshelf sized speakers.
                Hmmm. That's a thought. I guess you could buy a second center channel, and use it as your rear center. Although, that would invlove a rear shelf of some sort.

-Thomas-

The easiest way to find something lost around the house, is to buy a replacement.

Hey You! Make sure you stop by the HTguide Off-Topic section. It's FUN!!!

-Thomas-

As long as people will accept crap, it will be financially profitable to dispense it.

Hey You! Make sure you stop by the HTguide After Midnight section. It's FUN!!!

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Jan 2001

With my Denon I use two back channel speakers. I had no problem matching up with the rest of my Boston Acoustics speakers.

My Homepage!
                  My Homepage!

Comment

• Kevin P
                    • Aug 2000

I went with a center channel speaker for the rear center. Fits nicely on the bay window shelf right behind the couch.

For my speakers (Platinum Audio), the center speaker is just a horizontally oriented version of their smaller model speaker (the Studio 2). Unfortunately they're out of business now. I guess I won't be able to upgrade to 7.1 any time soon (not that I have the room for it anyway).

Official Computer Geek and Techno-Wiz Guru of HTGuide - Visit Tower of Power
                    My HT Site

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    😂
                    🥰
                    😘
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😞
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"