X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gordon Moore
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Feb 2002

Dolby Pro Logic IIx ???

I have a credible source that has informed me that Dolby is going to announce a new surround format at CEDIA called Pro Logic IIx that is supposed to compete with existing surround formats from other vendors. We can only speculate what this format will do, but we should find out more during the press conferences at CEDIA.

The major trade magazine's are also supposed to be getting a look at it then as well so expect write ups in November/December on the technology.

Whach-ya think folks?

"A RONSTER!"
    Sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

I would guess that its going to be able to generate a 6.1 or 7.1 sound mix from regualr 5.1 mixes like Rotels XS processing or Lexicon's Logic 7 do..that's just a guess though.

Comment

• efarstad
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jun 2001

Good thing some of us already have Rotel XS processing or the like...or the wife would kill me if having to upgrade! 8O

E

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
      E-Cinema

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
      E-Cinema

Comment

• Burke Strickland
        • Sep 2001

Originally posted by Andrew Pratt
        I would guess that its going to be able to generate a 6.1 or 7.1 sound mix from regualr 5.1 mixes ...
        Since THX Ultra 2 already does this, (and other, proprietary, means exist to do that too as you noted) , I wonder how much different or better the Dolby implementation will be perceived.

Burke
        Spelling and grammar checked in MS Word. If you detect an error, please notify Bill Gates.

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Remember that Dolby's gets a healthy cut of every processor sold due to royalties so adding yet another processing mode only means they get a larger check each month. It may or may not sound much different but its going to be hyped up by their marketing dept to all the vendors who will in turn hype it to sell more product. Really it all boils down to Ray Dolby wanting a larger royalty check and the manufacturers (the big guys anyway) need a new "something" to get us all to buy next years receiver/pre amp.

Comment

• Chris D
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Dec 2000

I could be very, very wrong about this. But I don't really see how a new format right now could be very groundbreaking and do much that other formats mentioned above already do. Other than going to 9.1 or something like that, I'm thinking this will be an interesting release, but not huge or overly important.

CHRIS
            Luke: "Hey, I'm not such a bad pilot myself, you know"
            CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
            - Pleasantville

Comment

• Uncle Clive
              Former Moderator
              • Jan 2002

Well if it's a stand alone or outboard unit like the old CD DAC unit, maybe those with 5.1 would be interested rather than up-grading or changing their entire reciever. Then I'd say it's good improvement.

CLIVE

HEY!! Why buy movie tickets when you can own a Theater?
              CLIVE

HEY!! Why buy movie tickets when you can own a Theater?

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"