X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • barona
    • Jan 2003

SV Sub question

I'm in the market for a new sub and have read several posts about how good SVS is but, when I went to their website I couldn't find anything about local dealers. Do they only sell via online or can I go to a store and take a listen to compare?
  • efarstad
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jun 2001

SVS only sells via the internet, but they do have a return policy if you're not satisfied...I've not read about many ever returning them though. I have a 25-31PCi...and am VERY satisfied with my decision to buy sight "unheard."

E

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
    E-Cinema

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
    E-Cinema

Comment

• Danbry39
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Sep 2002

Their relatively new PB-2 plus has been getting extraordinary testimonials, as do all of their products. Their customer service is superb. Unfortunately, they do only sell online and it's hard to get one second hand, which speaks to customer satisfaction.

I personally wouldn't hesitate buying from SVS.

Your model choice would depend on factors such as your listening habits and room size. If I were you, I'd contact them directly. They will work with you to get a right fit for your needs.

Keith
      Keith

Comment

• barona
        • Jan 2003

Right now I'm interested in the 20-39 PC+ but one thing I've read about for speakers is listen, listen, listen....that's why it took me 2 months to buy my new front speakers (Klipsch RF-7's), I must have listened to those things 5 different times with my own music before I bought them, in the end they just seemed right for my taste. That's why I'm curious as to why someone would buy a speaker without listening to it. Sure you can send it back but what a hassle if you choose to. SVS has received great reviews and I am tempted, I'll have to work on the budget.....like everyone else with the "bug"....

Comment

• Danbry39
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Sep 2002

Auditioning for yourself is always preferred. I do recall that there is an internet site where owners of equipment allow you to visit their homes to hear equipment you might be interested in firsthand, but I can't recall the site. Anyone???

Keith
          Keith

Comment

• Danbry39
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Sep 2002

I found the site. Click here. They have auditions set up for individual SVS subs. What you do is check off the specific SVS subs you might want to hear, enter your zip code and how far you'd be willing to travel, then contact is established with the owner in order to schedule an in-home audition. Hope it helps.

Keith

Keith
            Keith

Comment

• barona
              • Jan 2003

Wow, thanks Keith, the closest 1 is 203 miles one way, I guess I'd be willing to take all of the positive posts before I'll drive that far. The masses can't be wrong and I trust their knowledge.

Comment

• Danbry39
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Sep 2002

Wow!!! :roll: 203 Miles.

Well, if you get the SVS, let us know whether, in your opinion, they live up to their reputaion.

Keith
                Keith

Comment

• John Holmes
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

Hello barona,

I've owned a 20-39cs for quite some time now (couple of yrs.). I can tell you that I have been very satisfied with it's abilities to do the job!. It's one of the early non-powered models. I still have the base model (original)driver in it, and have felt no need to upgrade.

I'm not trying to sell you into an SV subwoofer. Just thought I would share my satisfaction with mine. There are a few very nice subs out there from various companies. For me the price/performance ratio of this one works.

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
                  "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• Rock Dog
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Jan 2003

I too have heard nothing but well about them. However I am a bit skeptical of a company that has such a strong tie to a particular website. I am suspect of some of the reviews on said site, when one of the main advertisers is the product being pumped up regularly. I did hear one of the SVS products and was impressed. One of the things I have always found interesting is their suggestion of amplification for their products. I used play in a couple of rock bands. "We are going to make it someday, dude!" :-y ;b>'> unk:
                    You know? That kind of thing.

Like any other application, you have your top of the line gear, and then the stuff certain bands buy because they cannot afford the best or even the average gear. One such product name is associated with SVS all the time. This amplification and live/pro audio company was never at or near the top of the heap. Yet I see them associated with SVS all the time. As the be all end all.

Now I must say one of the best descriptions/analogies I have ever heard, was associated with SVS subs. A guy on a car forum I was a part of, was a HUGE proponent of SVS. And bought 2 of their biggest tubes, as well as 2 1,000-watt amps (of the low end pro audio company) to drive them. When asked why he wanted or needed something sooo big in an average size home theater. His response was as follows:

“You know that scene in Jurassic Park in which the T-rex is just about to appear, and is sneaking up on the stranded tour cars? There is that shot of the cup of water, in which each time T-Rex takes a step, the impact creates ripples in the cup of water? I want to do that to my pool” :LOL:

-Thomas-

The easiest way to find something lost around the house, is to buy a replacement.

Hey You! Make sure you stop by the HTguide Off-Topic section. It's FUN!!!

-Thomas-

As long as people will accept crap, it will be financially profitable to dispense it.

Hey You! Make sure you stop by the HTguide After Midnight section. It's FUN!!!

Comment

• dsmith
                      • Jan 2003

Barona,

While it is true that speakers should always be auditioned before buying (if possible) subwoofers are a little different because they are only producing the lowest portion of the audible audio frequency range. Not that all subs sound the same, but all GOOD subs probably do sound essentially the same - some just go lower.

As for SVS, have no fear - you will not be disappointed. The website they sell from is their own - not a site shared with anyone. Of course their testimonials are all positive - what manufacturer would show negative reviews. But then I have never heard or read of anyone saying anything negative about SVS subs. They really are, for the money, the best subs you can buy. The only one that matches it is the Hsu VTF-3, which sells for almost twice the price as th 20-39 PCi that I have.

One word of caution - the SVS subs are so powerful that you may find it a bit tricky to place them where they sound good without knocking down your walls. I am not kidding!. Unless you have very large room I would say stay out of the corners and be prepared to turn the volume down half way. It took me several attempts to find the right place for my SVS but once I did it was fantastic.

I might add that I am not a sub-lover. For years I put off buying a sub because my speakers are full-range and flat to 35 HZ on their own, and I still don't use a sub for 2 channel music. But I wanted more boom for the movies so I sought the most accurate sub I could find in my budget, and that was the SVS. I can't recommend it highly enough.

Dsmith

Comment

• dsmith
                        • Jan 2003

Barona,

While it is true that speakers should always be auditioned before buying (if possible) subwoofers are a little different because they are only producing the lowest portion of the audible audio frequency range. Not that all subs sound the same, but all GOOD subs probably do sound essentially the same - some just go lower.

As for SVS, have no fear - you will not be disappointed. The website they sell from is their own - not a site shared with anyone. Of course their testimonials are all positive - what manufacturer would show negative reviews. But then I have never heard or read of anyone saying anything negative about SVS subs. They really are, for the money, the best subs you can buy. The only one that matches it is the Hsu VTF-3, which sells for almost twice the price as th 20-39 PCi that I have.

One word of caution - the SVS subs are so powerful that you may find it a bit tricky to place them where they sound good without knocking down your walls. I am not kidding!. Unless you have very large room I would say stay out of the corners and be prepared to turn the volume down half way. It took me several attempts to find the right place for my SVS but once I did it was fantastic.

I might add that I am not a sub-lover. For years I put off buying a sub because my speakers are full-range and flat to 35 HZ on their own, and I still don't use a sub for 2 channel music. But I wanted more boom for the movies so I sought the most accurate sub I could find in my budget, and that was the SVS. I can't recommend it highly enough.

Dsmith

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        😂
                        🥰
                        😘
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😞
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"