X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • audiofan
    • May 2004

Onix Ref. 2 with Rotel gear?

Hi,
    Has anyone here tried Onix Reference 2 from http://www.av123.com/products_produc...s&product=25.1

How does it sound ? This one is 2-way speaker.
    thanks.
  • thyname
    • Jan 2005

It looks great especially 35 Khz high frequencies. However, it is 4 Ohm which I think is not supported by many stereo receiver, including mine (Rotel RX-1052)

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

They're using the same tweeter I'm using in my DIY speakers but a different woofer. The upper end should be nice an extended but one the laid back to warm end if its anything like mine. If you like those you might also be interested in the Swan's at www.theaudioinsider.com/

Comment

• audiofan
        • May 2004

Thyname, i agree that 4 ohms is hard to drive. However, i have RB-1080, so it should be no problem. The problem is that the shipping is over $150 if i decide to return the speakers.I just wish any local dealer in northern vigrinia carries it so that i can audition.

Andrew, thanks. Are you talking about SWAN 6.1 or 5.1? How does the Swan sound? it's beautiful speaker by the way.

Comment

• audiofan
          • May 2004

Also, i'm thinking of Aperion Audio PT (power tower) . Based on the spec, this one must have awesome low end... but i'm not sure about mid/high. Is silk dome tweeter supposed to sound best.?

thanks.

Comment

• Kevin P
            • Aug 2000

Aperions have a very natural, somewhat laid back sound. They aren't harsh or bright at all. They are great speakers for music listening. The powered towers are nice but I hear proper placement can be a bear, since the optimum location for the mains may not be the optimum location for the built-in subs.

Personally if I were to go with the Aperions, I'd go with the 522D bookshelves plus the 12" sub. You'll get the same performance (same drivers) as in the powered tower but far more flexibility in speaker placement. Also, their 12" sub ROCKS.

One thing to note about Aperions is their efficiency, or lack thereof, roughly 88 dB sensitivity. You'll need power to play them loud. That said, we've driven them with 65 wpc receivers and they sound great, at least at normal volume levels. EDIT: Never mind, you have a RB-1080, you've got plenty of power.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

I was talking about the Onix having the same tweeter as my DIY's...the Swan's use the same woofer though so mine are a mix of both brands

Comment

• audiofan
                • May 2004

Kevin P, I have HSU sub and it belongs to the HT. I have to move my HT to another room. So my room becomes a place for dedicated 2 channel. I would like floor standing (my room is 12x14). Do you mean that i will have boomy bass if not setup correctly? With my room size, what is your suggestion in term of speaker placement (in general)? I think i will sit 9 or 10 ft away from the speaker.

Andrew, you're mixed...

After joining the forum, i have kept upgrading and upgrading... until i have no more bucks to upgrade ...

Comment

• mattburk
                  • Feb 2003

I had the ref 1's. They did need a good 2 weeks to break in, but after that they where nothing short of great. Very detailed and warm, without listener fatique.
                  They can use good power, rotel is great for that.
                  www.mycstone.com
                  www.coverednow.com
                  www.biarenton.com

Comment

• Ijon_Tichy
                    • Dec 2003

I am driving Ref 3's, Ref 100, and Ref 1's with a RMB-985mkII with absolutely no problems at all. Although I am sure the Ref 3's would really sing with more power.

For a long while I used my RSX-1055 to drive Onix RS550's (6 ohm), RSC200 (4 ohm), and RS250's (6 ohm) with absolutely no problems.

I say give the REF's a shot. They Ref 2 is a really good deal right now. They are a bit more revealing than many other brands. Try audioenvy.com or av123.com forums to see if someone in your area has them for audition.

Onix makes terrific speakers!

BTW, their rosewood and piano black finishes are STUNNING. I am told that the Bird's Eye Maple is awesome too. Pictures do not do them justice.

Comment

• audiofan
                      • May 2004

Yeah...REF 2 is a great deal right now. The problem if i decide to return, it costs me a fortune . So i think i must audition it first.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2000

Try audioenvy and see if there's anyone local to you that you can listen to them if that's a concern. knowing what I do about them I doubt you'll want to return them but I can understand your concerns. If you can't find any local see if there's anyone that has the Polk LSi's as they use the same tweeter as well. Granted they're not the same speaker but at least it would give you a good idea of what to expect.

Comment

• Ijon_Tichy
                          • Dec 2003

BTW, I have never heard the REF 2.

But if you search the av123.com forums you might read some comments from people who prefer a REF 1 + a musical sub (like the UFW-10) then the Ref 2. The Ref 2 merely adds more bass. Also, several have commented that the REF 1 images better than REF 2.

That being said, you may want to consider their REF1 LE (rosewood only) + Melody SP3 tube amp deal. It's an amazing deal. I took it and traded in the amp for credit. You could do the same and pick up a nice sub.

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"