X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SiliGoose
    • Aug 2000

New "budget" pre/pro from Adcom

This is new to me (may not be to you guys):

It's a 7.1 pre/pro with nice looks (for an Adcom). It's selling for $1500.

Anyone seen/heard this unit yet? The website doesn't say much...not even a pic of the back panel.

-Sili
    www.campmurphy.net
  • awtryau89
    • Dec 2002

If you want one I can get you one for $1095 plus shipping. I have a friend that is a wholesaler and has access to Adcom.

Eric Awtry
    War Eagle
    Eric Awtry
    War Eagle

Comment

• Ricky
      • Aug 2000

Sili,

You are gonna run a 7.1 setup? Or just 5.1? What do you have now?

Comment

• SiliGoose
        • Aug 2000

Ricky,

I have nothing but speakers, a 5-channel amp and source components right now. I sold my Athem and my ex-wife "stole" my AVR-7000 so I'm in need of something to command my system.

Anyway, I'll stick with 5.1 for the time being. Once I get back on my feet and buy a home I'll invest in 7.1.

Eric,

I sent you an email about your offer. I'm interested (though I'd like to find out some more about the Adcom).

Thanks,

-Sili
        www.campmurphy.net

Comment

• Ricky
          • Aug 2000

For pure 5.1 sonics and 2 channel, you should consider the Aragon Soundstage. I'm sure you have read the Aragon threads here. I should be getting my new Stage One next week; so I will be looking for a nice home for my beloved Soundstage Think of it as an EAD Ovation with a $2k analog bypass. Or a sweet Citation 7.0 with fantastic dd/dts decoding and the $1.5k parasound DAC1600 with dual Burr-Brown 63K dacs on each channel, including the subwoofer channel (best bass ever in my system).

Comment

• awtryau89
            • Dec 2002

I have to agree with Ricky on this one. My offer still stands but the $4000 Soundstage is going to blow away a $1500 Adcom. I replied to your email. I can tell you this about the Adcom, it does not have any of the latest formats with the exception of DPLII. (No DTS Neo6, DTS ES, DD-EX, etc) Since you are 5.1 it dos not matter but this is not a new processor. Adcom is notorious about updating their website and they have a new processor, the 880. due out in May. It will retail for $2k. I say get the Aragon and save up for the upgrade before June 30 (rumor is they may extend it because of some software issues) and you will have a state of the art for around $2K. Just my $.02.

Eric Awtry
            War Eagle
            Eric Awtry
            War Eagle

Comment

• dsmith
              • Jan 2003

I have never been impressed with what I perceived of Adcom, though I have never actually heard them. Whenever I read of them they always seem to have QC problems of one kind or another, and in reviews never seem to come up to the level of their competition. However, I read somewhere that several of the audio designers previously at now-defunct Cal Audio Labs have migrated to Adcom and some great things are expected as a result. That could make a big difference, so I have renewed hope for Adcom. Maybe the upcoming pre/pro will be something special for its price level.

Don

Comment

• SiliGoose
                • Aug 2000

Thanks guys!

Ricky,

How much for the Soundstage?

Do you know exactly how the upgrade program is supposed to work? Cost, proof of ownership requirements, will it do everything a Stage One does???

-Sili
                www.campmurphy.net

Comment

• Ricky
                  • Aug 2000

Sili,

Anyone can send it a Soundstage for the upgrade. Full details here. The one thing the Soundstage would not have is THX Ultra2 processing. But it has two things that the Stage One does not: balanced inputs and the actual Aurum preamp "inside". The Stage One's analog section should be very good, but only "derived" from the Aurum.

http://www.klipsch.com/mondial/index2.asp?path=/products/mondial/index.asp?frame=y&id=&line=&1

However, if my system was 5.1, I wouldn't even worry about it. Geez, in my ideal 7 channel room, if I couldn't get the Stage One at a good price, I might even just use the Soundstage as is. The Smart Devices Jr creates a really good 6.1. And DPL1 sounds discrete across the front 3 channels. I sent you an email.

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"