Help! How can I "mount" my center channel?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rock Dog
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2003

Help! How can I "mount" my center channel?

I recently bought a Sony Grand Wega II 50" LCD RPTV. I have a Mirage OM-C2 center channel. The old TV was a 35" tube, and had plenty of area on top for the center channel to sit there. But the GWII has a very narrow top, and currently the center channel is balanced ever so carefully on top of the TV. I need a way to support my center channel above the GWII. If it's a shelf, I need something sticks out from the wall, due to the bi-polar (re: Omni-Polar) design of the center channel. It can't go underneath the TV because it needs room to reflect.

I've seen shelves that sit on top of the TV, and then have down rods, with pivoting feet, to support the rear of the shelf, on the down angle, on the back of the RPTV. BUT... The GWII has a very narrow angle on the back of the set. (as seen in the first photo)

I've looked a number of places, both retail and online, with no luck.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

-Thomas-

The easiest way to find something lost around the house, is to buy a replacement.

Hey You! Make sure you stop by the HTguide Off-Topic section. It's FUN!!!

-Thomas-

As long as people will accept crap, it will be financially profitable to dispense it.

Hey You! Make sure you stop by the HTguide After Midnight section. It's FUN!!!
  • RogueAngel
    • Jun 2002

Thomas,

My situation is quite similar to yours. I have about 4 inches on top of the TV before it slopes off to the back. No way I could possibly balance a fifty lb speaker on it

I built a shelf that goes over the TV. The front edge of the shelf rests on the top of the TV and it has two legs in the back that go down to the equipment cabinet under the TV. I have a brace at the bottom to stablize the legs. I finished it in rosewood veneer to match the speakers. Very hard to tell it's even there.

It's been sitting up there since June with no problems. Check out my pics in the gallery. http://www.htguide.com/bilder/images/491/Center.jpg

Comment

• Rock Dog
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2003

Well, a lot of readers, but only one suggestion. Sometimes I am perplexed on how many people here, just won't say anything.

Anyway...
      Rogue, Thanks for your input and idea. That's exactly what I'm going to do. since I need mine to be black, I went with a chunk of 3/4" MDF. Instead of Oak, or Pine or something I would have had to stain. I also bought some 1.5" square wood rods (if you will) these will become the support legs for the back of the shelf.

I plan on attaching 3 of these to the back with angle brackets. And then putting rubber feet on them so they won't have a tendancy to slip. I'm going to get some thin rubber mating to apply the the front lip of the shelf to give it some traction against the TV itself.

Now I just have to find a paint that will look realy nice. It'd be great if I could find something that looked like the black lacker of the Mirages, but this is most likely not going to happen. Maybe a nice flat black, and through a coat of clear over it. We'll see how it goes.

Thanks again for the great idea.

-Thomas-

The easiest way to find something lost around the house, is to buy a replacement.

-Thomas-

As long as people will accept crap, it will be financially profitable to dispense it.

Comment

• RogueAngel
        • Jun 2002

Thomas,

Glad I helped a bit. Instead of a strip of rubber I used those little hard rubber peel and stick "buttons". I have those on the bottom of the legs, under the shelf and between the shelf and the speaker.

You might try making the legs a bit long so the shelf is tilted toward the front. That way you can angle the speaker towards the sweet spot. It works pretty good.

If your're trying to match a piano black finish, you might try laminate instead of paint.

Comment

• Lex
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Apr 2001

I wouldn't recommend mounting your center channel. Besides, it doesn't even have any inputs big enough to mount, does it? :LOL: hahaha. jk.

how about mounting a small shelf just above the tv? you could even turn the mounts downward, so all you see is the shelf itself just above the TV edge.

lex
          Doug
          "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Lex
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Apr 2001

ok, an extension of that idea, literally. mount 2 horizontal braces out from the wall at the height of the shelf. then mount 2 hooks above the shelf supports to attach decorative chain to. connect the chain from the hooks to the end of the horizontal supports. place the shelf on the supports, and then of course, your speaker. I suggested this way, since the shelf needs to be mounted fairly far from the wall. there could even be a gap at the back between the supports, the shelf need only be as wide as the speaker.

lex

Cable Guy DVD Collection
            Doug

Comment

• David Meek
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Thomas, the OM-C2 weighs about 30 lbs. according to the specs. If you don't have a problem drilling the wall behind the TV, another option would be to get a high-capacity swivel-type mount you can bolt to the wall and then bolt your CC to. That'll eliminate any coupling issues a shelf might introduce. Here's one example on Audio Advisor's web-site.

Lex, you so bad. . . . :rofl:

David - HTGuide flunky
              Our "Theater"
              Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Claude D D
                • Jan 2003

I've helped a couple of buddys mount center speakers on their tv's.We made shelfs and rear support brackets from MDF,painted to match then attached it all to the tv with Velcro (it even works with large heavy speakers if you have your rear support at the right angle).Works great.Good luck.

P.S. Great looking HT !!! 8)

Comment

• Lex
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Apr 2001

It just dawned on me to ask, are those guys in the screen holding the center channel up? Just curious. :P

Lex

Cable Guy DVD Collection
                  Doug

Comment

• Eduardo
                    Moderator emeritus
                    • Jun 2002

Lex it does look like they are holding the speaker. LOL

http://home.nc.rr.com/ejimenez

Comment

• Rock Dog
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Jan 2003

Originally posted by Lex
                      It just dawned on me to ask, are those guys in the screen holding the center channel up? Just curious. :P

Lex
                      :rf :yesnod:

Very good! You hit it right on the head. Man, that would be real "interactive TV" wouldn't it?

-Thomas-

-Thomas-

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"