X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jacket_fan
    • Oct 2006

Question before I cut sub legs

I am building the cabinets for 15 inch drivers. These are downfiring and will sit on carpet. They are sealed.

Before I cut the legs, is there a definitive minimum distance above carpet the driver should be?

I had previously had 3 inch legs made out of left over MDF and it seemed OK. The finished cabinets will have cherry legs and before I cut I would like to make sure I am not too short.

Thanks,
    Mark
  • Gir
    • Dec 2006

I believe the normal range is between 4 and 5 inches, but I couldn't tell you a "set" value you should use.
    -Tyler

Under deadline pressure for the next week. If you want something, it can wait. Unless it's blind screaming paroxysmally hedonistic...

Comment

• jacket_fan
      • Oct 2006

Is there any difference between carpet and hardwoods. Or for that matter, on a concrete slab versus a trussed floor?
      Mark

Comment

• gmed
        • Dec 2006

As a general rule, the distence from the ground should be the same as from the lip of the sub to the depth of the dust cap. usually 3".

Comment

• ThomasW
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

The floor construction isn't important.

With carpet the legs sink in so they should be a bit longer than those for wood or tile floor.

The absolute minimum for no resistive loading would be enough height to create a space equal to the drivers Vd.

Most people simply use ~3"-4".

Designs like those from SVS use a shorter length and a floor plate. This is intended to resistively load the driver, that increases output slightly

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• jacket_fan
            • Oct 2006

I am no expert on T/S parameters, but Vd is a cubic measurement. If the height is one parameter, what would the other two be?

In winISD I get the Vd to be 148.2 cubic inches for a Tumult.

I really am not sure where to go with this...

The plan is to have 2 1/2 in wide legs and if they get longer than 3 inches below the bottom of the box, I think they will look to "dainty".
            Mark

Comment

• Inu_Yasha
              • May 2006

3" won't look too dainty, if I have time today I'll take a pic of my downfiring sub that has 3" and it looks great IMO with 3".

Comment

• jacket_fan
                • Oct 2006

Thanks...
                Mark

Comment

• ThomasW
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

but Vd is a cubic measurement. If the height is one parameter, what would the other two be?
                  If it's a tubesub it's the area created by the circumference of the tube, otherwise it's the dimensions that comprise the cross-section of the box, depth*width.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• jacket_fan
                    • Oct 2006

The cross section is 22*22. That equals 484 sq in. But that is greater than the Vd from unibox. Perhaps I input the wrong data into unibox and got the wrong Vd.

I attached a pic to show the status of the two boxes.
                    Attached Files
                    Mark

Comment

• collo
                      • Nov 2005

The shaded area should be equal or greater than Vd.

In your case 22 * 4 * clearance >= Vd
                      Attached Files
                      Ports rule ...

Comment

• Brian Bunge
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Nov 2001

I had a Tumult in an 18" cube with 22" long legs, which raised the bottom of the box 4" off the floor. It worked very well.

Comment

• jacket_fan
                          • Oct 2006

148.2/22*4=1.68

Looks like anything over 3 inches is acceptable.

Just trying to follow the rule of thumb of measure twice, cut once.

Thanks for the input guys.

Brian, these will have a cherry veneer, with cherry trim. The veneer went on fairly well using contact cement and a j-roller. I am having a devil of a time with the finish. I had used a method right out of Fine Woodworking using sanding sealer/dye/washcoat/stain on some stands I made for aome Maggies, but this veneer is not taking the same process as well. Is there anything you do different for veneer as you do for 3/4 in hardwood? I was actually pleased with a wood working project for a change. The grain really had depth and is attractive.
                          Mark

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"